Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Impressions  (Read 8921 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Impressions
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
There's something about the art style of the game that just doesn't seem right to me. I mean the hyrule-glifics (I'm so sorry for the pun) effect for walking on walls and platforms is really neat, and looks like the Link from the intro to Wind Waker which is pretty awesome. There's just something off about the link character model. It just all looks kind of plastic/action figure like. It's a terrible adjective but it just seems lazy to me. I can't explain it.

In all honesty, I wasn't bothered by any of this while playing, except for the Stalfos' skulls looking a little too shiny and globular. Link's character model actually never bothered me while I was playing the game in motion.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
The game looks a lot better when watching the video than it does in the screenshots, imo.

Granted, I find that to be true for most 3DS games.  I'm actually pretty pleased with the way it looks overall.  I've read some hate online, so I was concerned at first.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »
I remember when Nintendo fans HATED Windwaker's art style.

I remember when Nintendo fans would argue gameplay over graphics.

I remember when Nintendo fans would beg for a LTTP sequel.

This game looks awesome. I especially love the use of 3D to solve puzzles. The hieroglyphic link looks interesting as well. I'm honestly curious how it'll be used during boss battles.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
Nintendo fans are impossible to please. No matter what they do, at least some part of the fanbase will bitch about it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
Well that's the way it goes, you know. You can't please everyone, so don't even try. Just try to make a good game, that's all.

I agree with Stogi. I think the wall-link mechanic could end up being really good. It might lead to some level designs that we haven't really seen in a zelda game before. For instance, if I hadn't seen it in the trailer, I would never have guessed that you could sneak out of the barred window to get outside. I think it would be really cool if we see it used for more than just traversal, like boss fights. Or if the wall already has drawings on it, you can interact with those drawings. Like, maybe you are in the wall, but the wall has water drawn on it, and you can't cross the water. Maybe even enemies that can go in and out of the walls just like you can. There's a lot they can do with this mechanic. Don't write it off so quickly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:31:45 PM by Fjurbanski »
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »
This thread is giving me an idea for an article for the site.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »
Wall/graffiti Link reminds me of reverse Lost in Shadow. You spend most of the game on walls as a shadow, but late in the game, you can briefly interact with the 3D world to solve puzzles.

Offline Magiteknights

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
I remember when Nintendo fans HATED Windwaker's art style.

I remember when Nintendo fans would argue gameplay over graphics.

I remember when Nintendo fans would beg for a LTTP sequel.

This game looks awesome. I especially love the use of 3D to solve puzzles. The hieroglyphic link looks interesting as well. I'm honestly curious how it'll be used during boss battles.

I still to this day don't care much for the "toon link" art style.

I'm highly interested in the gameplay mechanics, especially the overworld exploration with wall movement transitioning to 2D.

And now that I've seen it in motion on the actual console via downloadable video I don't really mind the character models as much any more. Gameplay seems fine, there's never really gameplay issues when it comes to Zelda titles. I would much rather see a sprite based game though. But either way this is the sequel Ninty fans have been waiting for.
3DS Friend Code: 3282-2322-2643
Nintendo Network ID: Magiteknight