Author Topic: Yo Mop_it_up!  (Read 5029 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Yo Mop_it_up!
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
My roommate is working on a computer modeling project.  He's going to be taking a picture of promo-art of Birdo, and he hasn't decided on which shot.  He thinks it would help him to know which games the ring showed up on Birdo's finger, we're not certain.  He wants the ring on, so he wanted to narrow it down to the art from after that point in time.

Any idea when it got there?  I think we talked about it before.  Vudu might be able to help in that aspect.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Yo Mop_it_up!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »
Ah, interesting. I'm kind of curious about this. Is he going to try to re-create the promotional art, or will he be trying to create a whole new piece of art? Also, why Birdo? Is he re-creaing the whole Mario cast or something?

Anyways, Birdo's mysterious ring first appeared in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, which was released in 2003. Because that's also around the time she was paired up with Yoshi, there's a theory that the two could be engaged, but it is of course largely unproven. The ring likely has no significance and probably didn't appear prior to the GameCube era because the hardware didn't allow for such intricate details.

Most promotional art you'll find has Birdo with the ring, since the only game she's appeared as playable in without the ring is Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64. The Mario Wiki that Nickmitch linked to has almost all of the promotional artwork that I know of, it is missing only one piece of artwork from Mario Tennis which was used in Nintendo Power. This model, along with the one in the game, also shows Birdo without the yellow pads on the bottoms of her feet, which were present in Super Mario All-Stars, as well as every game since. The model in the game also has the white of Birdo's stomach extended to the tip of her tail, which is strange, because no other artwork ever showed her that way.

From the artwork I've seen on Deviant art, here are a few details which are sometimes overlooked:

-Her eyes are blue.
-She has two spots on either cheek, the lower one is larger than the upper.
-She has three spikes on her back, none of which are on her head.
-Her feet tilt inward when she stands still.

If you want my opinion, my favourite piece of art is the one from Mario Party 8:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Mop_it_up/Official%20Nintendo%20Artwork/Birdo.jpg

It captures Birdo's flirtatious nature that she seems to have.

At least MP7
The funny thing about that section of the article to which you direct? It says that Birdo shows off her ring in one of her victory poses in Mario Party 7 and 8, but she, in fact, does not do this. She NEVER flaunts her ring.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
Thanks!

He's got to create a 3D model from one 2D image.  The image needs to be one of something human-like, but not surprisingly realistic:  It needs hands, feet, and individual fingers, but nothing other than skin-tight clothing that could be textured, or something that could be cleanly modeled easier than most clothing.

So this afternoon, while he and I were watching football, I rattled off various characters that could work for his project, and the fact was, most of the ones I mentioned were either done in the few years past, or being done this year.  I finally figured out Birdo, and thanks to the ring, the claw-nails, and the bow, Birdo fits the complexity level he's looking for exactly.

The good news is the picture he was going to use to base it off of is the one you linked to, so he's set there.  I told him your pointers, he was happy to hear all of it, and happy to hear about the things to be careful of.

It's a school project, to teach him how to work out modeling using Maya.  His first project was to recreate his room in it, and this one now is create/model a character based on a still image with specifications similar to what I mentioned above.

Other finalists were Tigger, who was too simple, and Mega Man, who was a bit dull.  I think Birdo is perfect for the project, though, hence why I came to help him figure out more here.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
Well, it is the best image, wouldn't you say? Will you be able to post his work here once he's finished? Birdo is quite a unique character and it's interesting to see different artist interpretations of her.

He's got to create a 3D model from one 2D image.
Does that mean it would be cheating if he were to examine the Birdo trophy in Super Smash Brothers Brawl?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:27:25 AM by Mop_it_up »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Nope.  As long as what he does in the model is shown in the picture, he can examine whatever he likes to get a better look at it.  I'll try to get him to send me some screen shots of the model when he finishes, and if he does, I'll post 'em here.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Thank you for that.

If it isn't cheating, then I would recommend that he study the Birdo trophy in Brawl to get a better idea of Birdo's shape.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
I figured they added the ring to help stress that Birdo is female.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
At least MP7
The funny thing about that section of the article to which you direct? It says that Birdo shows off her ring in one of her victory poses in Mario Party 7 and 8, but she, in fact, does not do this. She NEVER flaunts her ring.

I have been lied to.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »
Bad news, gang!  He showed off a great Birdo pic to the professor, and she said Birdo was too simple, despite showing off an even simpler Yoshi model from the year before.  Apparently, having nail-claws, a bow, a ring, eye-shadow, a complicated mouth/egg hole and feet pads holds no candle to a very simple saddle and shoes.  Some professor she is.  She might just be jealous of Birdo or something.

The end result means he's got to go with Mega Man, which is lame.  Believe it or not, the teacher said Birdo wouldn't be ok, but Roo, from Winnie the Pooh, was fine.  Seriously, there has to be something wrong with this professor.  Also, now my roommate has lost a day and a half of work he had already started with Birdo, too!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
Bad news, gang!  He showed off a great Birdo pic to the professor, and she said Birdo was too simple, despite showing off an even simpler Yoshi model from the year before.  Apparently, having nail-claws, a bow, a ring, eye-shadow, a complicated mouth/egg hole and feet pads holds no candle to a very simple saddle and shoes.  Some professor she is.  She might just be jealous of Birdo or something.

The end result means he's got to go with Mega Man, which is lame.  Believe it or not, the teacher said Birdo wouldn't be ok, but Roo, from Winnie the Pooh, was fine.  Seriously, there has to be something wrong with this professor.  Also, now my roommate has lost a day and a half of work he had already started with Birdo, too!

I think she is intimidated by female characters. Yoshi is either male or has both sexes, Mega Man is male, and Roo is male. I sense a pattern!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
Well that doesn't make a lick of sense thatguy. Is your friend going to finish Birdo? I am sure we would like to see it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »

I think she is intimidated by female characters. Yoshi is either male or has both sexes, Mega Man is male, and Roo is male. I sense a pattern!

Could very well be!  Hmmm...

He's not going to finish it, though, Maxi.  He's just starting modeling, and just for this class, so if it's not for credit, he doesn't have time to work on it.  It's really too bad she didn't see the complexity in the design.  He even said he considered adding Birdo inhaling or shooting out an egg, but the first would be too complicated for him, while the second would likely confuse and scare the professor.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Thats a shame. Does he have any ideas for MegaMan?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
Nothing special.  He's just got to figure out a picture of Mega Man that shows off the armor well enough that he can do the entire body.  That's about it.  It's a much less interesting project now, though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
That really is too bad, and I don't understand it either. Birdo has some nice little details that would make her a good fit for learning how to create 3D models. Yoshi certainly doesn't have any more detail than Birdo. And Mega Man? Where's the detail there? He's pretty plain.

I figured they added the ring to help stress that Birdo is female.
Actually I think it is another thing to show that Birdo is transgendered. Such a humongous diamond ring is the type of thing that a transsexual would wear.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »
Nothing special.  He's just got to figure out a picture of Mega Man that shows off the armor well enough that he can do the entire body.  That's about it.  It's a much less interesting project now, though.

Says you, i'd love to see a nice 3d version of megaman in one of his (earlier) X armors. Any chance you can post THOSE pics if he lets you?

something like this or this not only add more to the simple design of the original Megaman of Megaman X, but are also much better looking and simpler by comparison to the trying WAY too hard designs of the later X series games.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:40:52 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »
He should texturize it with scratches and chinks in his armor.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:02:30 AM »
I'll see about posting pictures of it, he did decide on X's first armor, like what EasyCure linked to.  Remember, he's just a student, and this is only the second thing he's modeling, so there's no way to tell much about the quality, though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »

BnM, remember what Lindy said about those racial comments? C'mon man!

I'll see about posting pictures of it, he did decide on X's first armor, like what EasyCure linked to.  Remember, he's just a student, and this is only the second thing he's modeling, so there's no way to tell much about the quality, though.

sweeet. It'll be interesting to see what the outcome of all this is. I hope the task isn't too difficult since X is a more complicated model than Birdo (with all the details compared to his standard armor anyway), but more importantly I hope he gets a decent grade!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »

Well maybe he can improve Mega Man and give him a helmet with slanted eye holes to protect those big beautiful eyes.

He should also make it nice and shiny like it was just cleaned with some Spic and Span.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »

Well maybe he can improve Mega Man and give him a helmet with slanted eye holes to protect those big beautiful eyes.

He should also make it nice and shiny like it was just cleaned with some Spic and Span.

Yo Mop_it_up! I hear you drink that stuff to take the edge off.

Confirm or deny?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
Yo Mop_it_up! I hear you drink that stuff to take the edge off.

Confirm or deny?
Doesn't matter if I deny it because something tells me you won't believe me.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
CONFIRMED! Mop_it_up sticks to rum ONLY
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:24:46 AM by EasyCure »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »
I've never heard of soley rum.