Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553473 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3250 on: May 15, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
I have to make sure I'm not eating when I think of how the Fly eats...

Not really, but it is gross. Special effects people did a good job.

It's amazing what they could do with makeup effects in an era before CG took off. Then Terminaor 2 comes along and shows how CG can greatly enhance special effects, but still not be too overbearing. These days pretty much every major action movie is crammed to the walls with overblown CG effects, and that's what I hate about modern movies.

Bring back practical effects!

And movies like The Fly and The Thing are very good examples of how horror movies can both scare us and be tragic at the same time. They shouldn't just be about cheap scares just for the hell of it. Those movies had good plots, and character development. And The Fly also had heart and emotion, you actually felt Jeff Goldblum's pain and suffering, you felt sorry for him (I did, anyways).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:11:51 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »
The Fly is a masterpiece.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 15, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
The Fly is a masterpiece.

Quoted for truth

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 18, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »
This week i'm going to see The Raid (it's called The Raid: Redemption elsewhere).

I promised i'm going to milk unlimited movies card (£220 a year for as many as i want) and i think i'm making good on that promise.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 18, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
Where is my Battleship?! I was promised a Battleship.

I need your pain.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Battleship released 2 weeks before Avengers (bad move) and disappeared a week later, there was other movies i wanted to see in that time. So it just got put down the list again and again.

Then it disappeared from the cinema.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
So Battleship got sunk?

I finally did get to see Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol. Spectacular action, the character interaction is nice, plenty of gags, great direction, a healthy dose of Tom Cruise runningâ„¢ and good gadgets. Weak sauce villain, jumbo size plot holes, missing actors, weak overall plot. Better than MI3 in most ways, MI1 remains the classic.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3257 on: May 18, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
Here in the US, Battleship opens today. It just looks so bad from the trailers though (and Prometheus TBH).

Nearly $350 for a movie pass? That is expensive. I would need to see about 35 movies just to break even on that. For that much money, I would make sure to watch at least 2 or 3 movies a weekend, even if I had no interest in the movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: May 18, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Here in the US, Battleship opens today. It just looks so bad from the trailers though (and Prometheus TBH).

Nearly $350 for a movie pass? That is expensive. I would need to see about 35 movies just to break even on that. For that much money, I would make sure to watch at least 2 or 3 movies a weekend, even if I had no interest in the movie.
Wait $350 for unlimited movies in a year.  That be ~32 showings at the cheapest regular price ($11 2D not the good theater) Take 3D and/or the Good theater into account then it be ~23 showings.  If I were single that be doable in a year of ok-good movies if it was for the whole family that number goes down by a factor of 3 so it only take ~11-8 Showings to make it worth it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
I do about 40+ movies @ about $5 a month ($60 for the whole year and about 3-5 movies a month). that sounds like a horrible deal to me. I like my movie plan much better.

for 4 people I spend much less than that ($60x4=$240)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3260 on: May 18, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
I do about 40+ movies @ about $5 a month ($60 for the whole year and about 3-5 movies a month). that sounds like a horrible deal to me. I like my movie plan much better.

for 4 people I spend much less than that ($60x4=$240)

Where do you get that plan? I would see more movies with an unlimited plan.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »
If I remember correctly, BnM pays for one movie then just hops into another theatre to see the next movie?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: May 18, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
It's the "I pay to get into the theater, not to see the movie" plan.

After unlimited popcorn and soda though (usually for 4 people), I think we settle on even every trip.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3263 on: May 18, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
LOL, I thought it was a legal plan you had. I suppose that can work since they don't actually check for tickets.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: May 19, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »
Scream 4...err Scre4m - 7/10
I was actually pretty surprised by this one. I was expecting it to be terrible...and it was actually quite enjoyable. It's actually pretty nice that they waited so long to make the fourth film (instead of shitting them out every year like Saw did). Anything I say would be a spoiler...so, I actually recommend watching it if you haven't, but it won't make any sense if you haven't seen at least the first one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

After unlimited popcorn and soda though (usually for 4 people), I think we settle on even every trip.

That's worse than piracy!!!!!!!! You're actually costing the theater money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: May 19, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »

That's worse than piracy!!!!!!!! You're actually costing the theater money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume you are joking, but all I am doing is sitting into the near empty theaters that would be playing the movies regardless of whether I was there to watch it or not. and with the price of popcorn and soda...... it's only worth it if you stick around for more than 1 movie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
there are some theaters that adopt that policy now though. I had thought about the idea of the "movie membership pass" idea a while ago , but im not in the theatre business so its not like i could put it to use.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: May 20, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »

I assume you are joking, but all I am doing is sitting into the near empty theaters that would be playing the movies regardless of whether I was there to watch it or not. and with the price of popcorn and soda...... it's only worth it if you stick around for more than 1 movie.
How do you get away with it, though? I'm pictureing my theater and I doubt they would notice a guy walking from out one theater to another one.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: May 20, 2012, 02:53:14 AM »

Theatres inflate the prices of popcorn/drinks/lollies because that's the only area of the operation that turns a decent profit. Theatres have to give a huge percentage of ticket sales to movie studios in the first couple weeks of release, like in the order of 85% (studios got 100% of the ticket price from the first week of release of The Attack of the Clones. 100%!). Theatres only start to make a chunk of ticket sales after four or five weeks, and by that time as you say there's no-one in the place.

So basically BnM, you're the worst type of movie patron. :P
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:45 AM »
So basically BnM, you're the worst type of movie patron. :P: :

One who actually shows up and pays over inflated prices for their food, and then stays to make sure the theater isn't just wasting electricity running the movies for no one?

I'll be sure to keep that in mind while I'm watching my 4 pack of movies tomorrow. ;)

How do you get away with it, though? I'm pictureing my theater and I doubt they would notice a guy walking from out one theater to another one.

Whether they notice me or not, I don't think they get paid enough to care. And like I said, I make trips to the concession stand throughout the day. and like Dasmos said, that is where they make their money. And like I also said, the movies will run regardless of if someone is in there to watch it or not.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:21:59 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: May 20, 2012, 07:41:14 AM »
£220 is kind of expensive, but most showings is £9 at the cinema i go to. So i need to go 25 times in 12 months to break even. They also give me 10% off any food/drink, which i skip every time.

In 10 weeks i've seen 10 movies, so i'm doing good.

Plus seeing 3D movies adds another £1.50 on top even WITH my unlimited pass (plus another 80p to buy glasses). So i don't see them.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: May 20, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
Whether they notice me or not, I don't think they get paid enough to care. And like I said, I make trips to the concession stand throughout the day. and like Dasmos said, that is where they make their money. And like I also said, the movies will run regardless of if someone is in there to watch it or not.

Alright, then I try this today and get caught and kicked out, I'll be sure to tell them that a random guy on the internet said it was okay. ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: May 21, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
Woooooo

Another day a the Movies... and this had to be the longest one yet.

Safe, Battleship, The Dictator, Cabin in the Woods, What to Expect (& The Avengers again... sorta)

Real quick;

Safe - good, not great, but one of the better movies of the day. Fight scenes were pretty good. I really really wanted to see the one at the end, it's a shame it didn't happen

Battleship - better than expected, actually good for a popcorn summer movie. I enjoyed it. It was kinda Independence Day meets Transformers.
*more people showed up to see this early in the day than I had expected. I wouldn't be surprised if this has a decent opening weekend.*

The Dictator - Offensive to be offensive, and not even in a funny way. If you thought the previews were funny, you've seen all you need to see. I wanted to walk out. It was stupid, and the most offensive thing about the movie was that they thought it was funny.

Cabin in the Woods - It was not what I was expecting, especially towards the end. I like how it sorta ties into all horror movies ever made though.

What to Expect When Expecting - a couple of small chuckles, but overall I was bored. My girl picked this one and The Dictator.... she is no longer allowed to choose the movies we watch. :P: This movie is definitely for mothers and mothers to be. I had an excuse to be there, but I couldn't explain the father son combo that came it to watch it and sat a few rows behind us.

The Avengers - I only popped in at the end to watch the fight scenes again. The Hulk, you need another movie. Best scenes in the whole movie.
*still strong in the theater. was playing on 4 different screens still. I need to check Box Office #'s for this one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:31:33 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »
The Dictator - Offensive to be offensive, and not even in a funny way. If you thought the previews were funny, you've seen all you need to see. I wanted to walk out. It was stupid, and the most offensive thing about the movie was that they thought it was funny.

That's Sascha Baron Cohen for you. If you've seen Borat or Bruno, then you'd know that's just his style of humor.