Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553920 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3050 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:58 AM »
Can us Avatar: The Last Airbender fans expect a sequel?

Yes, it's called Korra, and I have it on my computer waiting to be watched as we speak.

They should think about making a movie about the original trilogy someday. I would totally watch it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: March 20, 2012, 03:23:47 AM »
*pouts*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
Can us Avatar: The Last Airbender fans expect a sequel?

I just know M. Night would find a way to screw-up my favorite Avatar character: Toph, whose awesomeness can't be described by mere words.

**** yes Toph is the **** motherfucking metal bending! also why isn't "motherfucking" censored?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
...why isn't "motherfucking" censored?

Beats me.  I've never really tested the swear filter. It may come as a shock to a few of you, but whenever you see me swear, I put the asterisks in myself.  :cool;

But yes, Toph is awesome, and not just because of that.  I just love her worldview, her sense of humor (often in a self-deprecating way), and the way she doesn't take **** from anyone.  She's also arguably the most powerful character in the entire series despite her disability.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
No, there won't be a sequel. I'm too lazy to explain why, but you could go to any Avatar fansite and get a much better explanation.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
I was aware of TinTin 20+yrs before this movie was a twinkle in some director's eye.

Bullshit. Have you seen the history of this movie production. I bet it spans much longer than you've known of the movie. Stop being a hipster and appreciate the movie.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: March 20, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
She's also arguably the most powerful character in the entire series despite her disability.

More powerful than a character that can remove your ability to bend?
More powerful than a character that can control you by bending your blood?
More powerful than a character that wields the mighty boomerang?

I think not.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
Blood Bending is evil. Metal Bending is cool.

that being said, Toph was my favorite character by far.
The the water bender could kill instantly if they decided to go that route.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
I agree with Unclebob. She certainly isn't the strongest character in the series. She isn't even the Avatar. Sure, she might be one of the most power earthbenders in the series...but not out of everyone.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3059 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
I was aware of TinTin 20+yrs before this movie was a twinkle in some director's eye.

Bullshit. Have you seen the history of this movie production. I bet it spans much longer than you've known of the movie. Stop being a hipster and appreciate the movie.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

And calling Stephen Spielberg "some director" is a bit insulting to the man's legacy, almost as much as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

If we wanna make this a pissing contest, I read all of the books in the original French when I was a kid and have a framed poster of the cover for "L'Etoile Mysterieuse" at my dad's house. I was in an immersion program as a boy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
She's also arguably the most powerful character in the entire series despite her disability.

More powerful than a character that can remove your ability to bend?
More powerful than a character that can control you by bending your blood?
More powerful than a character that wields the mighty boomerang?

I think not.

Ty Lee is a wild-card. If she can be hit before she gets too close, she can be taken down.  Aang's version of that technique is extremely unstable. He nearly died using it once.  Katarra needs the Full Moon to do Blood Bending.  Sokka lost his boomerang at the end of season 3.   ;)

And as powerful as Aang was with the various elements, I never got the sense towards the end of the series that he was more skilled in any one of them as his specialized friends.  Hell, he needed to get bailed-out by the Avatar State just to take down one master Firebender (in a scenario where both characters should have been boosted by the Comet).

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:42:24 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
Aang can still bend all four elements and now control the Avatar State at will. And there's no telling whether or not he can use Energybending in a more effective way.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: March 20, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
For the record, I wasn't even considering Ty Lee. :D

Toph's biggest weakness is her need to use that sonic scream of her's to see anything.  She'll never be able to sneak up on her enemies like that.

As for Katara's blood bending - now, I'm just making this up, but the old woman who taught her how to do it very strongly implied that she knew Katara is more powerful than she is.  I can't imagine any reason why it'd be harder for Katara to blood bend without a full moon than it was for Yew to bend the water inside of plants.  But, going on established cannon, nothing is shown that Katara can bloodbend without the aid of a full moon.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3063 on: March 20, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »

Oblivion is right. Spielberg originally got the film rights to Tintin way back in 1983 but didn't get around to making it for a long time.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »

Bullshit. Have you seen the history of this movie production. I bet it spans much longer than you've known of the movie series. Stop being a hipster and appreciate the movie.

I meant to say series. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »

Oblivion is right. Spielberg originally got the film rights to Tintin way back in 1983 but didn't get around to making it for a long time.

Wow MysticGohan is oooooold.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:37 AM »
Apparently John Carter is expected to be the biggest flop of 2012.

Not surprised given how they renamed it from John Carter of Mars to John Carter, started marketing 2 weeks before its release with "Who is John Carter?" how would i know?? and then continued to forget to tell people it existed. Never mind the content of the film itself.

I stand by my opinion that the rise of vampires, zombies and Lost you can't out-lost Lost, so stop trying! has caused the death of sci-fi.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:38 AM »
I whole heartedly agree with you about Sci-fi. I am coming up to the end of SGU with 2 episodes to go and it wasn't until second season till it found it's real voice. It really didn't help there were a number of episodes that were pulling some BS Lost style garbage.

I can't remember when I last watched some good sci-fi movie that was recent. Chronicle doesn't count. That was ****. Avatar bored me to tears and it doesn't help that Sam Worthington is easily the world's most over-rated "Actor". Fucker makes Keanu Reeves look good. Unless Batman counts as Sci-Fi, the last good SF movie I watch must have been Serenity.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »
Blood Bending is evil. Metal Bending is cool.

that being said, Toph was my favorite character by far.
The the water bender could kill instantly if they decided to go that route.

I had wondered if they were going to reveal other "super-powers" for the other forms of bending.  For instance, could an Air Bending conceivably take all of the air out of another person's lungs or prevent them from breathing?  I guess that would have been too dark, but, really, the blood-bending stuff was pretty dark.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »
Inception? That may not be high on sci-fi but i do enjoy the film for many other reasons (music, filming style, Chris Nolan's preference of "crisp" shots over 3D and other junk etc).

Every show that's attempted to beat Lost at its own formula directly has died: SGU, Flashforward, The Event and Alcatraz (i expect) now. All of them have started the series by throwing a long ball (the series arc), and the idea of breadcrumbs along that path until we reach the end when the big questions are answered.

Flashforward in particular had a moment in the series finale when the end game was expected in December 2015.

Movie wise there's been little of that sort and flops like John Carter will simply put them off doing/marketing it better.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Hopefully Prometheus is successful enough to give the genre a well deserved reboot.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 21, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
Toph is my favorite character by far. Fire is my favorite element.

As for super powers:

Earth - Metal Bending (and maybe at some point, alchemy)
Water - Blood Bending and/or ripping water out of any living thing.
Fire - Flying/Lightning (also, you could conceivable suck the heat out of anything, thus freezing it)
Air - Flying/Super speed. (Also, Vacuum. You could literally make someone's blood boil.)
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3072 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Wouldn't lightening already count as fire bending's super power? Not many could do it as I recall.

Every show that's attempted to beat Lost at its own formula directly has died: SGU, Flashforward, The Event and Alcatraz (i expect) now. All of them have started the series by throwing a long ball (the series arc), and the idea of breadcrumbs along that path until we reach the end when the big questions are answered.

OMG, did The Event fucking suck. Every freaking episode it was "Crazy **** happens, but that's not the EVENT!!!" By the 3rd time, I couldn't care anymore. I tried to watch FlashForward too, but I thought the premise was too stupid, and they seemed to kill off seemingly major characters for fun.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Saw Hunger Games last night.  It was good.  My friend who went that hadn't read the books, didn't know much about it (basically, the previews) and wasn't even sure if he wanted to go ended up loving it.

Seriously, if you don't have a stick up your butt about it being for kiddahs (which, if you're on a Nintendo forum, you shouldn't), go see it.  It's good.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
Hi five Unclebob! I thought it was intense. I went with about ten other guys (and one chica) and only about half of them had read the books. Everyone loved the movie. I was pleasantly surprised.