Author Topic: Namco Pac-Man Pac-In Deal  (Read 5121 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Namco Pac-Man Pac-In Deal
« on: October 15, 2003, 08:16:00 AM »
The multiplayer Pac-Man game will be free with the purchase of upcoming Namco titles.

NEW PAC-MAN GAME LINKS NINTENDO GAMECUBE AND GAME BOY ADVANCE FOR MULTIPLAYER FUN

Namco, Nintendo Bundle New Take on the Classic Game with Other Exciting Titles

REDMOND, Wash., and SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 15, 2003 – If you've ever spent all your quarters zipping Pac-Man® through his mazes at your favorite watering hole, you'll be happy to learn those days are behind you.  A collaboration between Nintendo of America Inc. and Namco Hometek Inc. has made the hot new Pac-Man® vs. game available exclusively for Nintendo GameCube™.  This special game is also available at a very special price—free!

The unique new multiplayer version of the all-time classic arcade video game, now with connectivity to the Game Boy® Advance, will bring a new style of game play, and will be available only through three special offers.

"The partnership between Nintendo and Namco gives game fans a new spin on an old favorite," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president for marketing and corporate communications.  "This Pac-Man may be the best ever, because it brings together players and systems in a whole new way."

Anyone who buys a copy of Pac-Man World™2 or R: Racing Evolution™, both published by Namco for Nintendo GameCube, will receive a free copy of Pac-Man vs. bundled with those games.  The bundle for Pac-Man World 2, the newest entry into the Player's Choice library, is Rated E for Everyone and will be available Dec. 2 at an MSRP of $19.95.  The bundle for R: Racing Evolution, Rated T for Teen, will be available Dec. 9 at an MSRP of $49.95.  Starting Dec. 4 at specialty retailers, fans also can receive Pac-Man vs. free as a gift with any purchase of I-Ninja™, Rated T for Teen, at an MSRP of $49.95.

Pac-Man vs. lets players compete head-to-head using a Game Boy Advance and a Nintendo GameCube, connected by a Nintendo GameCube™ Game Boy® Advance cable. One player uses the Game Boy Advance to control Pac-Man as he gobbles his Pac-Dots. Up to three other players on the Nintendo GameCube control the Ghosts and chase

Pac-Man around the board.  If a player's Ghost catches Pac-Man, those players swap controllers and the game continues.  Whoever hits the predetermined scoring cap first wins the game.

Nintendo's own legendary game creator Shigeru Miyamoto, driven by his desire to create an updated version of his favorite game, Pac-Man, worked closely with the game's original creator, Toru Iwatani of Namco, on this exciting project.

"We were very excited to work with Nintendo and Mr. Miyamoto to bring Pac-Man vs. to life on both the Nintendo GameCube and Game Boy Advance," says Nobuhiro Kasahara, president and chief operating officer at Namco Hometek Inc.  "What better way to utilize the exciting new feature of connectivity than with the classic gaming character, Pac-Man."

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline cubedcinder128

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Namco Pac-Man Pac-In Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 08:31:47 AM »
Awesome move by Namco, especially by packing it in with R: Racing Evolution (and Pac-Man World 2, but I have that for PS2...). Now I just gotta convince a couple friends of mine to play this game with me in their free time.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Namco Pac-Man Pac-In Deal
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 08:43:24 AM »
I've been moderately interested in the multiplayer Pac-Man game.  Not enough to pay any serious money for it but it seemed like a fun concept.  However I'm not really interested in any of the games that it comes with so I guess I'm not going to end of getting it.  The only upcoming Namco game I'm really interested in is Tales of Symphonia.

However the idea of packing this with an existing title is a good idea.  It just isn't an advanced enough game to sell seperately.

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 12:09:55 PM »
crap! I have pacman worlds 2 already. Well im sure as hell getting I-Ninja anyway.
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 12:56:58 PM »
I really want Pacman but don't want any of the games. I'm thinking of buying one with Pacman Vs. and returning the game without it...maybe that would work.

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 05:31:09 PM »
Im sooo going to buy this game no matter if its $49.99. I was a pacman fanatic in the 80's, and this reinvention from Iwatani-san, and Myamoto-san is something I didnt see coming. I hope the bundle it with Soul Caliber 2 though, becuase the other games dont seem fun to me. Too bad some hardcore gamers can't tell this game is one of the best sequels to come out this year in my opinion.  
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 05:34:30 PM »
I've heard that the game is supposed to be like 30 dollars American.  I might get it, my pockets are getting thinner after this last month  *F Zero GX, Soul Calibur* and when I got viewtiful joe last week.  I think its a good idea, I just need more money for all these games.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 07:36:01 PM »
that i-ninja game looks pizimp....to me anyways
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 08:12:28 PM »
That good, I remember when it was discussed during E3, it was one of the two games that people wanted as a freebe.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 08:17:10 PM »
I would have paid for it... but this is even better =)  I'll probably get it with I-Ninja, R:Racing is supposed to be "realistic" right?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 08:22:38 PM »
yeah im definatly getting i-ninja, pacman vs. or no, a very welcome adition though it better have some cool unlockables too, little shigeru faced ghosts anyone?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 08:36:47 PM »
I find that idea a little deranged. It may give me nightmares.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 04:28:13 AM »
Do you HAVE to use a Gameboy to play the game?  If so, that sucks.  Don't own one.

On the other hand, this gives me a good excuse to buy Pac-Man World 2 & I-Ninja.  I can sell the Pac-Man Vs. Pac-Man freebie on ebay for a nice profit.

Favorite classic games
Space Invaders, Missile Command, Berzerk, Defender, Mario 1.5, Final Fantasy 6

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 04:33:43 AM »
Ack!  What a horrible pun! *points at topic title*

But seriously, this makes me want to get I-Ninja even more now
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Robageejammin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 12:19:31 PM »
yeah, i had great feelings about I-Ninja since E3. mmmm..grappling... so now im more hyped up than ever
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 11:43:13 PM »

Originally posted by: honda_insightful
Do you HAVE to use a Gameboy to play the game?  If so, that sucks.  Don't own one.

you sure do, it somewhat defeats the mechanics of the game to not have one, i mean split screen would be stupid, everyone would be able to see where pacman is.

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 03:12:52 PM »
The new screen shots look great, I'm actually looking forward to PMvs now.
PGC link "The game is a free pack-in to Namco titles such as Pac-Man World 2, R: Racing Revolution, and I-Ninja."

Starting Dec. 4 at specialty retailers, fans also can receive Pac-Man vs. free as a gift with any purchase of I-Ninja.

So, is the newer statement(the one from the link) correct or just a mistake cus` I wouldn't mind getting Ininja but if it's gona be hard to get Ininja w/PMvs I'll start searching sooner rather than just picking it up later.
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 08:55:42 PM »
Never mind, it looks like I-ninja's gona` suck. I can't imagine the Cube version will be any better.
I-Ninja, I'd rather not
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 07:06:27 PM »

I-Ninja, it sounds better coming out of someone else's mouth

True but those are just "Impressions" not a review, and besides would you doubt
Pong Sifu.  Also I haven't heard any bad reviews for Pac-Man World 2 so I'll just get Pac-Man vs. with that title.  And lastly if anyone else was wondering it would seem that Pac-Man vs. comes with all three of the previously mentioned titles, the whole "at specialty retailers, fans also can receive Pac-Man vs. free as a gift with any purchase of I-Ninja" must have been outdated news, before that I heard that you could only get PMvs w/ Ininja if you preordered Ininja.
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline monk72

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2003, 04:29:29 AM »
I was (and maybe still) going to get racing evolution, but the reviews and previews have not got me 'that' excited for it.  I was a huge rage racer fan.

Regarding pacman...does anyone know if you can also just play plain old 1 player pac man with it, too?  

I love pacman, and it was the first real video game fad, I'd love to have an accurate version of the arcade maze/colors playable with this new multi-player version.
"is that a THIRD PILLAR in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"great minds...             ...play Nintendo"

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2003, 04:07:38 PM »

I was (and maybe still) going to get racing evolution

Not for me, I don't like racing unless weaponrie's involved like Wipeout and of course Mario Kart DD looks like it sure would be fun.

Regarding pacman...does anyone know if you can also just play plain old 1 player pac man with it, too?

Gee, not sure, kinda` defeats the purpose of Pac-Man Vs. I know at least 2 of the ghosts can be CU but I don't know if all three can be? Anyway I seem to remember hearing that their was an original version of PM on the disk but I'm just not sure.
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2003, 05:36:43 PM »
I put down the $5 for I-Ninja and got Pacman Vs., a T-shirt (which I'll sell on Ebay), and best of all--TMNT trading cards! W00t!

I haven't played the game yet but I don't think there's a single player, on the case it says 2-4 players.