Author Topic: Official Legend of Zelda Timeline Revealed  (Read 22159 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Legend of Zelda Timeline Revealed?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
What if.... Zelda Wii U united the timelines?

Is such a thing even possible?
Sure, It could be like Sonic Generations from what I hear.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feel the Hate for the Game you have brought.  Now Channel that.  Come with me to the Dark Side.  We will let you Use your own mask.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
The whole series was a dream.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHIP9UtkQDQ

Everyone interested in this topic should watch this video.
is your sanity...

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:29 PM »
So are there any indications of this book coming stateside?

Offline chaosmasterzero

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »
can i just say though that alot of you who are complaining about the timeline are ungrateful brats, think about it the people who made the first game had no way of knowing that there would be a sequel much less that they were working on what would be one of the best video game franchises of all time there was no timeline in mind for it eiji aonuma has even been quoted as saying that he would rather focus on gameplay than the developers be distracted by where the story should fit in despite the fact that a way to tie it all together was not the first thing on their mind the fans have still been asking for it and nintendo finally gives it to you because its what the fans have been asking for it and you are complaining that it's not how you wanted it to be this is how it is it doesn't cheapen the game any it in fact it doesn't change anything you already know or love about the games it just shows that nintendo gives a damn about what the fans want and how do you thank them by bitching that it's not good enough

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Official Legend of Zelda Timeline Revealed
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
Now the mess is official.

Here's to the future where Nintendo retcons it to twilight and back!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
can i just say though that alot of you who are complaining about the timeline are ungrateful brats, think about it the people who made the first game had no way of knowing that there would be a sequel much less that they were working on what would be one of the best video game franchises of all time there was no timeline in mind for it eiji aonuma has even been quoted as saying that he would rather focus on gameplay than the developers be distracted by where the story should fit in despite the fact that a way to tie it all together was not the first thing on their mind the fans have still been asking for it and nintendo finally gives it to you because its what the fans have been asking for it and you are complaining that it's not how you wanted it to be this is how it is it doesn't cheapen the game any it in fact it doesn't change anything you already know or love about the games it just shows that nintendo gives a damn about what the fans want and how do you thank them by bitching that it's not good enough

People aren't faulting this timeline because "it's not good enough".  They're faulting it because it doesn't make any sense within the context of the actual games, and the sticking point is really that supposed "3rd split" after Ocarina.  Nintendo basically took all the games they didn't want to deal with and threw them into a single group  regardless of whether that made sense.

Personally, I've been of the inclination for quite a few years now that Nintendo has no earthly idea what they're doing with the Zelda "timeline", and that they never had one to begin with.  So long as the games are good and the individual stories are engaging, that's fine.  I just wish Nintendo would stop publicly pretending that there is a grand plan when it's obvious that they really didn't have one.  Skyward Sword seems the first real stab by Nintendo to establish a continuous story, so I'd rather they just established that SS is a complete story reboot and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:12:22 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
As I expected, the official timeline is just as impossible to wrap your head around as the crackpot theories. Best not to think about it, in my view. It's much easier to appreciate a Zelda game's story in self-containment than in the context of all the others. Trying to do the latter is time consuming and will probably just leave you with a headache.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
Why don't we have a "what if Link failed" timeline for EVERY game?

There is a "what if Link failed" timeline for every game, they just haven't been made yet.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
Actually, it makes sense that it splits that way at Ocarina if you accept the general rules of time travel that writers over the years have established. When you go back in time to change things, you create a new timeline, so splitting it three ways there is logical according to those rules. That explains why there are three splits, and also why Ocarina is where it splits, being as focused on time travel as it is (though you'd then have to look at Oracle of Ages more closely).

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
Actually, it makes sense that it splits that way at Ocarina if you accept the general rules of time travel that writers over the years have established. When you go back in time to change things, you create a new timeline, so splitting it three ways there is logical according to those rules. That explains why there are three splits, and also why Ocarina is where it splits, being as focused on time travel as it is (though you'd then have to look at Oracle of Ages more closely).

Oracle of Ages though has Link defeating the villain of that game, Veran, in the past and then returning to the present.  Since Veran was from the present and went back in time, killing her in the past kills her for good since she no longer exist in the present time because she left the present for the past. 

Unlike Ocarina of Time where Link defeated Gannondorf in the future, but was then sent back to a time where Gannondorf wasn't defeated, resulting in that Gannondorf eventually being sent to the Twilight Realm by the Sages, instead of being sealed in the Sacred Realm like he was in the future.  This results in Gannodorf returning in two completely different ways which makes two completely different timelines.  And now with the new timeline having Gannon win and take the complete Triforce resulting in another huge change.

This is why Oracle of Ages doesn't make a radically different timeline while Ocarina does because Ages involves Link stopping someone from the present from messing with the past and than killing that person in the past so nothing major really happens to alter the present, except for Tree falling in love with Link and the kingdom creating a giant stone statue to honor him, two things that have minor consequences on altering the future.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
It could still be argued that there would be at least one alternate timeline stemming from that. Nintendo just hasn't used it for anything. So obviously, the Wii U Zelda is going to take place in the timeline in which Link was unsuccessful in Oracle of Ages, and now everything is in outer space for some reason.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2011, 02:54:38 AM »
I wouldn't mind a cosmic Legend of Zelda where you interact and fight against or fight alongside Nayru, Din, and Farore.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind a cosmic Legend of Zelda where you interact and fight against or fight alongside Nayru, Din, and Farore.

It's really weird that Skyward Sword barely even pays lip service to those characters, considering the role they played in Hyrule's creation.  I guess we'll probably see that story the next time Nintendo decides to create a "true" beginning to the Zelda timeline.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
There's something major missing from this list: Where the hell is Link's Crossbow Training?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline chaosmasterzero

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »

People aren't faulting this timeline because "it's not good enough".  They're faulting it because it doesn't make any sense within the context of the actual games, and the sticking point is really that supposed "3rd split" after Ocarina.  Nintendo basically took all the games they didn't want to deal with and threw them into a single group  regardless of whether that made sense.

Personally, I've been of the inclination for quite a few years now that Nintendo has no earthly idea what they're doing with the Zelda "timeline", and that they never had one to begin with.  So long as the games are good and the individual stories are engaging, that's fine.  I just wish Nintendo would stop publicly pretending that there is a grand plan when it's obvious that they really didn't have one.  Skyward Sword seems the first real stab by Nintendo to establish a continuous story, so I'd rather they just established that SS is a complete story reboot and leave it at that.
i agree that i don't think nintendo ever really had anything in mind to connect the games but i also believe that depending on how you look at this timeline it makes alot of sense but thats not the point i am arguing i am saying that nintendo wanted to please the fans who all wanted to "Link" get it? the games together and they made this to do that when they could have just as easily ignored it or kept teasing us with a non existent timeline they aren't doing this as a money grabbing move they did it to please the fans and you guys still aren't happy like it or not you got what you wished for now you have to live with it i doubt its gonna get changed anytime soon or at all i personally like it and think it makes sense

Offline chaosmasterzero

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
There's something major missing from this list: Where the hell is Link's Crossbow Training?
who cares about that where is smash bros and soul calibur 2 man

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »

It's really weird that Skyward Sword barely even pays lip service to those characters, considering the role they played in Hyrule's creation.  I guess we'll probably see that story the next time Nintendo decides to create a "true" beginning to the Zelda timeline.

Mm hm. To be fair, the three goddesses are hardly mentioned in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (at least to my recollection). I have never played Majora's Mask. From what I've read about that game, it doesn't seem it talks about the three goddesses much. This is in contrast to Ocarina of Time where entire cut scenes are devoted to the creation myth that involves the three goddesses.

And now we have Skyward Sword throwing a fourth goddess in the mix. Maybe Rosalina can make a cameo sometime.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
This thread makes me believe I am not as big a Nintendo fan as the rest of you, because I don't care one bit about the official timeline or any other.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
I'm far more interested in seeing the official Mario timeline.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
This thread makes me believe I am not as big a Nintendo fan as the rest of you, because I don't care one bit about the official timeline or any other.
Doubting your Belief You Are.

I'm far more interested in seeing the official Mario timeline.
All alternate reality.  Main series takes place in the same point just different Multiverses.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
is your sanity...