Author Topic: Future Wii Model to Include DVD Playback  (Read 14535 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Future Wii Model to Include DVD Playback
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
I wish Nintendo would have left the DVD playback either buried or included it with the launch hardware. Personally I don't care either way, because I never have used any of my systems to watch movies on, but I can see how some would be impacted. If this turns out to be more than a firmware update, and is in fact built into the hardware, it could really divide the Wii userbase. I'm all for a standard console, and really do not like the crap Sony or MS pulled with the "loser" and "cool" system packs. Then again this is my exact feeling on Twilight Princess, I think they should have had only one true version and axed the GC one.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 01:07:55 PM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar

PS3 - BluRay (competing with HD-DVD to be the next-gen format, not many movies available as companies are skeptical that a new format is needed)
Xbox 360 - HD-DVD (competing with BluRay to be the next-gen format, not many movies available as companies are skeptical that a new format is needed)
Wii - DVD (the current standard, all new movies are released in this format)

And one of BluRay or HD-DVD will become the new Beta.

Fixed

Offline obscureownership

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
So... does this somehow effect the Wii's ability to play Twilight Princess in 5 days, 6 hours, and 28 minutes? No?

Don't care.

Congratulations, you are the only sane poster in this thread.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Future Wii Model to Include DVD Playback
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »
I liked how early on when the "Revolution" was first revealed it had DVD playback.  Sure it was Nintendo playing catch-up (as usual) but it was nice to have an extra feature thrown in.  It also showed that maybe Nintendo had learned something.  "Hey people seem to like having a little extra functionality thrown in so let's do it with something minor so that we don't look like clueless idiots."

I think that now, with the Wii having last gen graphics and no HD that it really doesn't matter.  DVD support is a minor feature that isn't as needed now as it was five years ago.  HD is the "expected" feature and with that gone Nintendo already looks out-of-touch, at least from the perspective of the home theatre types.  I think having DVD support is better than not having it but the section of the market that cares about features like that already has a reason to be turned off.  DVD support made sense way back when it was assumed the Rev would be a little more conventional and wouldn't look dated a year after release.  The Wii's success is based on the acceptance of the controller, which is really the only reason it even exists.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 03:13:52 PM »
The only reason I sorta care is that Wii would be, by far, the coolest looking DVD player in my apartment.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Vance

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 03:17:49 PM »
I hope there's some way to make a Wii DVD ready sometime in late 2007 through firmware or some sort of add-on, but if the original Wiis are not upgradable to the DVD-ready version, perhaps they can offer a trade-in service where people can give their used Wiis + $50 to get a Wii with DVD capability. I don't know how to make the economics work for that, but right now I think that'd be the best way to please the early adopters who want the DVD functionality with their Wii when the new model comes out.  
Reese Witherspoon is so pretty
She and Ryan Phillippe were such a cute couple I think
I hope that the Wii and gamers of all ages could have such a loving relationship

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »
Gee, Nintendo announces this early and everyone's all "They should have waited!".

Had Nintendo waited to announce this later, it would have been just like when the GBASP came out and everyone was accusing Nintendo of double dipping and purposly getting everyone to buy original GameBoy Advance units just to stick 'em again with the GBASP...

Can't win for losing, eh?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
Thinking about this a little more, my opinion still stands. However, I do think it would be neat to use the Wii-mote for DVD menu navigation (much like a mouse in DVD playing software for computers). That would make the Wii one of the coolest DVD players yet. Probably not the best quality, but fun to use. Still, it is nothing I would spend money on.
Thanks for listening.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »
They can add what they want, I suppose, but how would they market it?

A big ol' sticker on the Wii box that says "now plays DVDs"?  When the PS2 could do it seven years earlier?

It's certainly not a bad addition, and I might use it if it didn't cost me any more, but it seems like it's not really something you can market easily without pointing out that there was a lack to begin with.

Also, someone should explain the Xbox 360 external HD-DVD drive to me.  Maybe I'm stupid but I don't get it.  How does it make use of the Xbox 360 if it's external?  Couldn't I hook up a DVD player, somehow routing it through my Wii, and say my Wii is equipped with DVD playback?  Huh?

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 04:28:39 PM »
GBASP case is different because they never specifically said "the GBA is gonna have a sick backlight and be really small" before the original GBA even launched." Here they said right from the beginning "the Wii will play DVDs, with an addon." Then it was suddenly removed for a while and wholly disowned with the usual "we're about games" excuse (especially hypocritical when at the same time, Webbrowsing is included), and now it's back in...but not for another friggin' year.

To clarify - I don't care that much, but it would be one less component/remote lying around and, like Jonny said, a really cool looking DVD player...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
Maybe the next Nintendo will have an abacus
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
I imagine they'll market this the same way they marketed the GBASP with new backlight, aka they won't.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
I don't see why people are worried about "this makes the Wii look last gen."

The people saying that weren't going to get one anyway.

And to get the higher benefits of the other machines requires 3x the cost and re-buying all their DVDs again.  Not to mention having an HDTV.  And that's for a marginal increase in quality at best.  

People need to stop acting like the next optical format war is akin to black and white versus color televisions, or VHS versus DVD.  It's not even close to that.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
^What Strell said.

I still predict online downloads connected to a set-top box will supersede optical media formats entirely. Last I checked, Apple has added HD movie downloads via their iTunes store, and they're ALSO working on a "media box" which will connect to your HDTV (or regular TV) and play high-def movies. No optical media necessary, and these are the same people who brought mp3 players from a geek toy to a mainstream device. Hmm...

Also, I already do what Apple aims to do, just with a hacked Xbox: we download whatever we want to watch, upload it to the Xbox and I haven't touched a DVD in months and I don't have cable.

I think the optical media wars are going to be too little, too late.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
Hopefully they'll launch the DVD player version in black.  That would give me two reasons to buy Wii again.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 08:29:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Hopefully they'll launch the DVD player version in black.  That would give me two reasons to buy Wii again.  =P
Me too, cause for one, my Gamecube(Panasonic Q) is the only DVD player in my room, and two, I really don't want a white Wii.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »
And miss out on such an awesome whiteboard?

The black Wii will look insanely cooler with the pulsing blue light around the disc slot.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 03:09:20 AM »
This entire announcement is kind of interesting.  
Sonic is the one doing the talking, not Nintendo.  

I wonder if this new version of the Wii will have a TOSLINK connector on it.
I suppose a customized version of component cable hookup might have a digital coaxial out on it.

Time will tell...
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »
Yes, that's a bloody good idea.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »
Well, in all honesty, I was thinking about selling my white Wii, and buying a black one when they came out... So maybe I'll wait for the DVD functionality, if it isn't a software upgrade you can download.

On that note... What if you sell your Wii? What happens with the games and stuff you downloaded?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2006, 06:54:54 PM »
Hmmm... it is possible that the current Wii simply won't read DVDs because the media is slightly different (like the GCN's was not quite a mini-DVD), and the DVD-playing version would have an optical drive with firmware allowing it to read either. Otherwise, software-only would be possible. If it is, someone will make Wii Linux to do it.