Author Topic: DS Lite Street Date Broken  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
DS Lite Street Date Broken
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:30:20 AM »
You can already buy the Nintendo DS Lite at some Wal-Mart and Target stores around the United States.

The Nintendo DS Lite doesn't officially go on sale in North America until June 11th, but some gamers already have their hands on the system -- without importing.  Someone named Trakan at Cheap Ass Gamer reported buying a DS Lite on Tuesday after seeing them in the display case at his local Wal-Mart store.  Other users of the site have since confirmed that they too were able to purchase the system at various Wal-Mart and Target locations around the U.S., although many stores are still not selling the Lite.  It also seems that some mall stores are willing to sell the system as soon as their shipment arrives, which is expected as early as Wednesday.    

Street dates are rarely broken in the video game industry, and it remains to be seen how other retailers will respond.  Check with your local stores, in person if possible, to see if they have the systems in stock and are willing to sell them now.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:DS Lite Street Date Broken
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:28:48 AM »
I admit that I would be one of the first to rush out and purchase myself a DS Lite, but they aren't launching them in BLACK so I don't really want one just yet.

Question to Nintendo if you are watching:
When are you going to release the black DSL? Do you know how many people are holding out for a black DS/L? We don't want to pay import prices and we don't want to paintit ourselves. PLEASE release the Black versions of the DS & DSL in the US soon.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:57:15 AM »
I already pre-ordered one at EB, but I will gladly go get a new one from somewhere else today if possible!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline obscureownership

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:59:30 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I admit that I would be one of the first to rush out and purchase myself a DS Lite, but they aren't launching them in BLACK so I don't really want one just yet.

When are you going to release the black DSL? Do you know how many people are holding out for a black DS/L? We don't want to pay import prices and we don't want to paintit ourselves. PLEASE release the Black versions of the DS & DSL in the US soon.

I am in the same boat as you, but I think as soon as I see it on store shelves I'm going to freak out and buy it anyway. Damn you Nintendo.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: DS Lite Street Date Broken
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
No stores in Rochester NY have them yet.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:42:32 AM »
I can understand street dates being broken by a day or two.

But two weeks?

Insane.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:56:43 AM »
Nintendo must be really stockpiling them up. I called around to stores as early as 10, and they said people have already been calling about it, trying to find one. Hopefully the word isn't too far out yet.  

RomanceDawn

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »
Here's the Frappr Map: http://www.frappr.com/dsliteavailability

Happy Hunting!!

Offline scot00

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:34:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
No stores in Rochester NY have them yet.

Rochester NY..WEEEEE i used to live there....Where abouts ??

-Scot00-

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
Nothing new where Wal-Mart is concerned. There have been several occasions where I've picked up a game or DVD a week before it's original release (the most notable being Majora's Mask). It just depends on where you live and whether or not these clerks even give a crap (which they usually don't)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
Damn Pale you just crushed me, I was about to run to Walmart on Jefferson after reading this, guess no DSL until next week.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:17:06 PM »
Wow, I'm creeped out by the number of people with Rochester familiarity.

Scot00 I live in the Henrietta area now.

Mr. Jack, you mean the one in Henrietta by Marketplace mall?  I went there, target, and toys r us today and had no luck.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44:25 PM »
Yup, I'm always in that Walmart, I was there today but didn't think to go check the games section.

BTW, I was checking out your website and I see that we live on the same freaking street and both go to RIT, hows that for weird.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 06:16:21 PM »
That is a bit strange... you live in westbrooke commons?

I don't really attent RIT anymore... I'm finishing up my Master's these project and should be defending it in about a month... Then I'll finally be done.
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »
122 Golden Rod Lane Apt. 5. Used to be in a townhouse, 245 Golden Rod Lane. If you're ever in the mood to do some Nintendo Gaming I'm up for it.

I too am almost done at RIT but only undergrad I'll be getting my CS degree in February 07. Glad to be finishing up, at this point it's all liberal arts(smooth sailing) until graduation.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
Know that we know were Mr. Jack lives, let's go through his garbage and peek in his window while he is sleeping.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 02:08:15 AM »
I'll keep his bed warm for him while he's at work
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline scot00

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 02:14:26 AM »
Errrr Lived in chili for a bit..And yes i too once thought the name was odd..then moved to greece..Then back to the oswego area..And about 6 months ago packed up all my bags ..(the wife too)and moved to NC

-Scot00-

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 02:37:18 AM »

Originally posted by: scot00
Errrr Lived in chili for a bit..And yes i too once thought the name was odd..then moved to greece..Then back to the oswego area..And about 6 months ago packed up all my bags ..(the wife too)and moved to NC

-Scot00-

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I hate the name Chili (pronounced Chai-lai, not Chili, like the food). Bugged me for so long, but I have learned to accept it. I work out in Greece currently. Who wouldv'e thought Rochester would be rocking out the PGC Forums?

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

I'd be tempted to get one if they had a better selection of colors.  I'm hoping a deep purple will eventually come, but if black is made available I may end up getting that rather than waiting for a color that may never come.  But in any case, I don't understand the incosistency of color availability among the various territories.
GOREGASM!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 05:35:56 AM »
Rochester update!

Wal-mart Henrietta still doesn't have them, but Target Henrietta does... they are currently refusing to sell them however.  BOO!
---------------------

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 05:57:47 AM »
I say we storm Target and demand they sell us our DS Lites!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 07:30:25 AM »
If you live in Soutern Los Angeles they have them at Walmart at the Baldwin Hills Plaza. But they won't sell me anything... DANG!!!!!!!  

RomanceDawn

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
I'm pretty confident all stores that did break date have since received a "you f'd up" memo....  The guy at Target here showed me a box but then said that the manager is flipping out about not selling them yet.

I think it's safe to say that if you didn't already snag one, you won't get one til the 11th.
---------------------

Offline ski_dog77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
I bet Nintendo would wield their power to put a swift stop to any retail locations who would dare sell a console before the official launch date. They could easily do something like kepping a branch of Wal-Mart or TARGET from, say, Chicago Illinois [for example] from receiving any future Nintendo product whatsoever. Honestly I don't doubt if the employee who did such a thing would still be employed with either store at this point. Something like this wouldn't warrant a warning from an employer before termination. In Oregon, you can be fired for 'no cause' and this is agreed upon by filling out most employment applications in our state.

.... I would purchase a system early if given the chance however
forget about Xbox360, I'm all over the Wii ;Þ