Author Topic: REVIEWS: Punch-Out!!  (Read 32678 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Punch-Out!!
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »
Punch Out Wii is mostly a mish-mash of both Punch Out games, leaning more toward the NES game elements in terms of characters and gameplay.

I don't mind that at all.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
Super Punch Out still remains not only the best game in the series, but the best game in the history of games.

Not going to touch that one! But every game needs a fan. ;)

I'm going to assume that was directed at me.  Go ahead, find a post where I say this game sucks.  Go ahead, try.

Sorry I flew off the handle with my sarcasm!

Punch Out Wii is mostly a mish-mash of both Punch Out games, leaning more toward the NES game elements in terms of characters and gameplay.

Hmmm, what elements did you find that were taken from Super Punch-Out!!? I can only think of a couple, that being more movement from your opponent, and a bit more of a cinematic presentation.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:25:45 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
I have to get a bit personal here and defend a fellow staff member here...

While reviews are informative they are first and foremost personal pieces. They are essays that explain what the product does and if its worth getting it using the reviewer's own personal experience with the product. Like with anything in life, they might be right or they might be wrong. Reviewers are not meant to be the final decision in a purchase. They are merely suggestions that go deeply into the product. In the end the one that figures out the worth of the product is you, the consumer.

So why can't people seem to accept this in reviews? If Neal thought the game was great why can't people accept it and if they disagree with him just mention it?

The reason this review is getting torn apart I suspect is because there are two camps of people for this game:
- People who are so excited for this game that they can't accept any negative responses
- People who are so apathetic towards this game that they refuse to see this as a good game overall

I can mentions the name of those people who fall into the categories I mentioned, but then I would just be picking a fight, and that's something I tend to regret later on since I like many of the people here.

So I'll just end it here. For those that love the game just be thankful that it even exists and have fun playing rather than trying to defend it and to those that are dubious it wouldn't kill you to actually try the game and see what you think. Oh and please try not to justify your doubts. If you like it just say it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »

Hmmm, what elements did you find that were taken from Super Punch-Out!!? I can only think of a couple, that being more movement from your opponent, and a bit more of a cinematic presentation.

I agree.  I can only think of things that were removed from the sequel:

- Leaderboards
- Unlimited Star Punch once accrued
- Rapid Fire Punch
- Tons of Great characters like Dragon Chan, Mad Clown, Narcis Prince, and of course, Hoy Quarlow
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
The reason this review is getting torn apart I suspect is because there are two camps of people for this game:
- People who are so excited for this game that they can't accept any negative responses
- People who are so apathetic towards this game that they refuse to see this as a good game overall

Don't forgot about the people that own the game, are already addicted, yet still able to view its shortcomings and want more.

“All generalizations are false, including this one.â€
-Mark Twain
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:38:01 PM by D_Average »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »

I think D_Average's criticisms have been fair along with some others (I would have liked to see more of an online component and leaderboards). Not only that but a small flaw is the menu navigation being pointer controlled even if you are using the classic controller.

The fighters don't bother me much (though who is really against having more?) because the reimagined forms are new to experience. Overall though I think the game is fantastic and Next Level should be proud for creating one of the best games in months for any system. Though even at that not sure I'd give it a 10 (though I do respect the rationale behind the score), I'd probably give it a 9 or 9.5. Something in that range.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »

Don't forgot about the people that own the game, are already addicted, yet still able to view its shortcomings and want more.

-Mark Twain

No offense, but I was talking about the people who don't even own the game yet talk as if they know everything there is to know.

Haven't you noticed that those that talk the most are those that know nothing about something? This happens a lot in videogames, and fans that are too excited don't want to accept any shortcomings and those that are doubtful fail to see any good qualities.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Well, I've yet to see anyone actually state that this is not a good game, so I don't really agree with your interpretation on that latter camp.  I'ts more a difference between the two camps in the degrees of Punch Out awesomness.  The former camp believe it is a gift from God, the latter an excellent game that's not quite as awesome as it could have been in Nintendo had devoted more time and resources to it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:48:05 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 04:46:38 PM »

-Mark Twain

No offense, but I was talking about the people who don't even own the game yet talk as if they know everything there is to know.

Haven't you noticed that those that talk the most are those that know nothing about something? This happens a lot in videogames, and fans that are too excited don't want to accept any shortcomings and those that are doubtful fail to see any good qualities.

Very true.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »
Punch Out!! is 2009's Super Mario Galaxy.

I sure hope not.  ;-)
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
Punch Out!! is 2009's Super Mario Galaxy.

I sure hope not.  ;-)

Already claimed by Killzone 2!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
Obviously, 2009's Super Mario Galaxy will be Uncharted 2.  No contest.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
Wow, what the hell happened in this thread? It's like a goddamn pile up.

From reading this thread there are a lot of obvious things to me. First is that most people passing judgment haven't even played the game. Second those who have played the game VERY CLEARLY have not unlocked Title Defense mode. While you may fight the same 13 guys again, they are COMPLETELY different. They could've skinned them all with a different appearance and called them something else and people would have no problem believing they were a unique character.

People are also glazing over some of the other stuff the game has in store, such as the awesome Exhibition mode. All of the challenges there are ALSO like fighting a new boxer, since you need to approach each battle so differently.

To say that Nintendo didn't put adequate resources on the title and rushed it out the door is fucking nonsense, and actually a slight against this amazing game. So they didn't include a bunch of new guys and there aren't 15,000 different boxers to fight, big deal. What is here adds up to MANY hours of gameplay and is extremely fun.

It seems to me that they put in what they felt was adequate to make for a complete gaming experience and polished it all up to the point of near perfection. And maybe, just maybe, if the game sells well they are planning on making a sequel with some of the neglected characters and adding a slew of new ones.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »

Have you thought that 2009's Super Mario Galaxy may be SUPER MARIO GALAXY sequel? Yeah think about that one!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:54:15 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »
No no no...

Wii Walk is 2009's Mario Galaxy.

Believe it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »
Doesn't the new Punch-Out have counters, where you punch the enemy's hand to keep him from attacking?  That would be from Super Punch-Out, as it wasn't in the NES version.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

Have you thought that 2009's Super Mario Galaxy may be SUPER MARIO GALAXY? Yeah think about that one!

Are you saying its finally time I get the last 5 stars and beat it as Luigi?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
Super Mario 64 is 2009's Super Mario Galaxy.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
Jonny is going to ban Lindy for trolling.

NOW I TOO WILL POST ABOUT PUNCH OUT

I am boycotting this game until NOA brings Another Code Trace Memory to North America. Hopefully I will buy it after E3 announcements.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »
Super Mario 64 is 2009's Super Mario Galaxy.
Which is odd because Super Mario Galaxy was 2002's Super Mario 64 2

ummm.... now for something Punch Out related...
I didn't buy the gloves that go with the game because I think they are ridiculous and not worth it, even at only $20 on sale.

Offline k_bukie

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »
Having played through most of the initial contender mode, even though there is technically only one NEW boxer, there are really only maybe 5 boxers that remained the same as their namesake from the older games.  Boxers like Aran Ryan and Don Flamenco might as well be completely new boxers considering how differently they play. 

Also, never have I lost a bout that I could blame on anyone but myself being unfamiliar with the fight.  Sure, it gets difficult in the world circuit, but the difficulty ramps up beautifully so that people of every skill level will be able to find both accomplishment and challenge with the title.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2009, 01:54:29 AM »
Sure, it gets difficult in the world circuit, but the difficulty ramps up beautifully so that people of every skill level will be able to find both accomplishment and challenge with the title.

I noticed how well the difficulty ramps up, I'd even say it is smoother then the first Punch-Out!! in regards to how the difficulty ramps up.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2009, 02:12:56 AM »
Really my most major complaint with the Wii is the very very weak online architecture. Live destroys it in every aspect other than WiiWare and VC.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2009, 02:51:20 AM »
And web browsing.