Author Topic: G-mail  (Read 11374 times)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:G-mail
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2004, 01:18:09 PM »
When I signed up one of my private email addresses for passport it ended up just becoming a spam trap.  Pissed me off quite badly, considering I was the one hosting the mail server.

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: G-mail
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2004, 05:39:33 PM »
I'm fine with yahoo.

95 more megs than i'll ever need.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2004, 02:49:38 AM »
I like Hotmail. It has something to let Microsoft foot the bill for all the spam you receive. I use a separate account (on another provider) for people I trust. It doesn't receive any spam.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2004, 08:19:57 AM »
There is however a lot of concern about the way Gmail will sort and filter your mail and that they will be using their mail crawlers to go through your email.  A lot of privacy groups and I think even the EU have raised a big fuss about the kind and amount of personal information google is collecting on people.

I will tell you what though, their IPO is going to go through the roof!  Any predictions on the stock price on their IPO on the closing bell?
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 02:35:52 PM »
Yeah KDR mentioned that. The EU has like banned gmail or something. I don't know how that works. But anyways, I would expect google's stock would be quite expensive at this point. I mean I'm no investor or anything, but I mean everyone loves google. EVERYONE!
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »
California also banned gmail Berny.  

I just find it incredible that so many places are banning gmail when it's not even out yet.  Especially when google doesn't really even do anything that other email dudes don't do.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 03:25:41 PM »
They DID?! Crap! I read about that lawsuit, but I didn't hear the results. Goddammit! I hate California now! How can you BAN web based email from anywhere though? I mean, it's not possible is it? They can TELL you not to go there, but the highways (and sewers) of the internet are still at the diposal of the EU and California. How are these laws enforced? Craziness I tell you.

"email dudes"

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2004, 03:36:46 PM »
Hotmail and Yahoo have also blocked Gmail- I think they're just jealous.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2004, 03:45:19 PM »
Hotmail has blocked gmail... but yahoo just sends all gmail to the bulk folder.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2004, 03:50:16 PM »
Hotmail BLOCKED gmail? Well how am I supposed to invite Hotmail kids then? The freakin b4574rd5... I mean seriously that is not even fair. It's discrimination, that's what it is! CURSE YOU MICRO$OFT!!!! CURSE YOU AND ALL YOUR DESCENDANTS AND BABIES!!!!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2004, 04:13:50 PM »
Tell them to use their ISP, University, or Yahoo accounts instead.    I don't know for sure that Hotmail is blocked or not... I haven't tested it yet myself.  But I just kinda got ahold of a gmail account myself.  (Thank you kind sir), and I am getting to work on mass mailing like... 3 or 4 people.   I'll tell ya how it goes.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2004, 04:48:20 PM »
Oh did you? I didn't know that. Good for you.

Okay thanks. I hope I can still do that cause most of my friends are stuck with (and on unfortunately) hotmail. I'm trying to convert them all, but it's a slow and painful process. Their just too attached to their precious 2MB.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2004, 05:42:44 PM »
The best part about Hotmail was when they were down for like an hour this morning. About the time I had forgotten my PGC password and needed to check the initial email for it. A fun ol' time for all!

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 07:49:28 PM »
Wait a second I think I'm confused, I thought ruby_onix said gmail WAS hotmail and yahoo...
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2004, 11:20:56 PM »
If G-mail is going to scan emails and place ads that way, I wouldn't trust it. Unless I wanted to get a few accounts and back up my hard drive. Yahoo's ads are quite annoying though, they take up most of the space.. unless you use Firefox's Adblock extension. And I can't believe California has the time to worry about email with all our disasters and stuff.  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2004, 01:25:49 AM »

I thought ruby_onix said gmail WAS hotmail and yahoo...

Nah. It's like Hotmail and Yahoo. In that it's "webmail", meaning that it's an internet website that gives you access to e-mail functions (e-mail and "the internet" are different from each other).

If G-mail is going to scan emails and place ads that way, I wouldn't trust it.

AFAIK, that's not how Gmail works.

In theory, what they're supposed to do, is let you use Gmail like any other webmail system. But they ask you to never bother deleting any of your emails. And then, instead of asking you to sort your emails into tidy folders, they ask you to leave them in a big messy pile.

Then, lets say you have a bunch of Nintendo newsletters, and you wanna look at what an old one said, you just do a Google-style search on your giant unsorted e-mail pile for "Nintendo newsletter", and it brings up anything that matches your search

At the same time, since you just searched for "Nintendo newsletter", Gmail will pull up some text-based ads that seem to match what you requested.  Like, if I search "Nintendo newsletter" on Google's normal internet search, there are some remarkably-unobtrusive ads on the right side of the screen, for "How to Write a Newsletter" and "Email Newsletter Guide".

I don't think it pokes into the actual contents of your emails, to find out that say, I really wanted to know something about F-Zero.

They encourage you to make a huge disorganized mess out of your e-mail storage, so you have a reason to use the search feature, which is what tells them what it is that you like.

However, as with any webmail system (like Hotmail or Yahoo), you are trusting someone (and their website) with your emails, so there's always some potential for abuse.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2004, 04:58:56 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
I don't think it pokes into the actual contents of your emails, to find out that say, I really wanted to know something about F-Zero.

Sorry, Ruby, but that is incorrect. I just tested it out. There's this one line that I always include in an email to someone and I searched the first couple of words of the line and every email I sent and received from that person came up. Gmail searches do indeed look through the bodies of your mail.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2004, 06:14:10 AM »
That's what got the privacy watchdogs acted up, they scan the ENTIRE message.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2004, 08:25:54 AM »
Although they are just crawling your message bodies with bots, its not like they have interns reading your email and sorting it.  I bet it is very useful and it has the potential to revolutionize the way we email and store email.  Personally I'm excited for the service, 1gb of storage, sounds good to me.... I don't think google gives a sh** about your teddy bear fetish emails, as long as they process them and they can continue to build their brand.

Also, about hotmail blocking gmail, its a fasle rumor that was floating around yesterday, I saw something on slashdot about it (I'm too lazy to put in a link).  So it should work and will work with any email.   There is a lot of anticipation and rumor floating around.  Apparently there are email fanboys, much like nintendo fanboys, spreading rumors and causing controversy.  

Why hasn't hotmail responded in anyway by increasing storage or anything?  I can't wait to dump my hotmail account.

3rd point:  They haven't issued there stock yet, so they are completley privately held but are expected to do an Initial Public Offering (IPO) of common stock this fall, that is why they are doing all this stuff so it shoots through the roof thus making anyone at google instant millionaires.  On the plus side after they "go public" they will have to disclose much more information about their operation and I am very curious how they process everything and how many servers they have etc.  

I think this is officially my longest PGC post ever, maybe that mean I need and end boss month avitar.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2004, 09:56:28 AM »
Hey, I'm a gmail fanboy! Don't make fun of me! ^_^

I honestly don't know why hotmail has done nothing. It's just stupid. They are going to lose a lot of users once Gmail goes out of beta testing if they don't up their storage limit.

And yes, you now MUST get an end boss avatar or "you will fail at games."

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I just sent a gmail to my hotmail account and it's right there  in my inbox. The rumors are false. I'm only slightly less mad at M$ now. Don't get me wrong though; I'm still seething.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2004, 10:21:10 AM »
Whether it's bots or humans, the potential for abuse is there. What if they made a profile of your mails, linked it to your name and sold it? What if the gov wants to see who used the word "Allah" lately?

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2004, 10:40:24 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't want to be talking when the aliens blow up the white house in Independence day only to find some dudes and John Ashcroft in a black suburban pulling up in my driveway.

Not that I ever really talk about that movie, but it is possible...

Also I trust google with my emails more than I would trust microsoft with my credit card numbers and all that other crap they track via passport.  Its interesting how valuable information has become in our day and age, Marx and Engle were so right.....  not that I'm communist but it makes and interesting read.....

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »
guys, who really cares if the server reads your email?  How exactly do spam filters work if they don't scan your email?  Unless you run your own mail server, SOMEONE is always going to have the power to read your email.  And it's just common practice for the server to scan your email.  This whole "gmail isn't private!", "gmail is bad!", "gmail knows about my gerbil pr0n!" thing is just the typical knee jerk reaction that is all too common in the world these days.  It's this same logic that almost led some state (California?) to banning dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO).

And I'm sorry, but I just want no part of that.  I happen to like gmail, and I honestly don't care if they deliver relevant ads to my inbox.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2004, 02:57:18 PM »
This email scanning thing is going to interfere with my plans to overthrow the Canadian government.

Today: Canada.  Tommorrow: Alaska, Greenland, and those two French islands off the coast of Newfoundland.  MOO HOO HA HA!

I don't care about the scanning that much...yet.  It's the "relevant" ads the turn me off.  NO ADS are relevant to me.  If I want to know about something I look it the f*ck up.  And I see no need to search my emails.  Sorting by date or sender is more than good enough for me.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2004, 03:29:30 PM »
God Ninja. Thank you. I'm currently bickering with a friend of mine who is worried about the Patriot act or some stupid thing like that. I tried to tell the kid that it's no different than what hotmail does to scan for spam, but no. Gmail is different cause you can't delete your email. I have nothing to hide, so I'm REALLY not worried.

Ian: Google has to make money off this SOME way. The "relevant ads" are not at all obtrusive. No more than a google search's ads. In fact, they are in exactly the same place. And although YOU don't need to search your email, some people use their email to send important information that needs to be located immediately and their jobs may even depend upon their finding that information. Granted, if you want to look professional it's best not to have a web based email address, but hey, it's cheap and has massive storage.