Author Topic: G-mail  (Read 11463 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: G-mail
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2004, 10:44:50 PM »
1. Neither Hotmail nor any other non-GMail service stores your mails forever (even the deleted ones)
2. Spam filters don't store personally identifiable data (they don't know who marked the mail spam, they just scan it, learn from it and delete it.
3. Spam filters can be disabled.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2004, 06:26:44 AM »
Look, if you think google is going to sell you to the government, the government is way ahead of that.  They have been scanning chat rooms, e-mail accounts for nearly 15 years, why do you think 1337 5p33|< was invented?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:G-mail
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2004, 09:23:48 AM »
It's called the Echelon- you think the government's ability to tap into phone lines, emails, chat rooms, cell phone, radio waves, etc, in Enemy of the State was fiction? It wasn't. It's based in Britain, I think- really pisses off the British government, too, so I've heard (I can see why).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Chode2234

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2004, 10:55:15 AM »
I've heard of demonstartions where the whole point is to try to bombard Echelon with tons of phone messages IM's email and every form of communication using this big list of words that it tracks, do a google search I'm sure you can find the list.  I remember sending writing a script to send emails to myself with all these profane messages using all sorts of 4 letter words and talking about anarchy and assisinations.  I don't think it had any effect though, that was the extent of my civil disobedence, Thoreau would be dissapointed... probably Chomsky too...
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2004, 01:22:52 PM »
Look, you couldn't DoS the servers enough to do anything.  You think that searching for that stuff will do anything?  Heh, it might just blacklist your name in the future if you got into something very deep.

There is a sad truth to computers that many people don't realize.  Businesses may say, well we will reach 1 Petaflop in x years, but that is a commercially known computer.  What is a fact is that the government has a great deal of knowledge hiring companies who shut their mouth and build extremely expensive supercomputers, ranging fro 1-3 billion dollars.  As a reference, most don't cost more than 300 million (I'm talking about number 1 on the list of most powerful).

In fact, not too long ago, the government released some information to Intel Corp about effective ways to do 3 cores on 1 die, no not the other way around.  There is a lot of stuff that gets put in the black budget, and spying is definately 1 of them.

If I had to estimate the total power of computers just in the US owned by the government for spying purposes, it would be in the neighborhood of 100 tflops total.  That is probably about 6 or 7 grid massively smp supercomputers, all designed with 64bit-512bit cores, designed for breaking codes and scanning messages.

Granted it can't process everything, but it can read a whole lot.

Back from conspiracy theories to Gmail now.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2004, 04:39:11 PM »
"And I'm sorry, but I just want no part of that. I happen to like gmail, and I honestly don't care if they deliver relevant ads to my inbox."

I am a big fan of it already and I just got it a couple of days ago. I think it is far better then what Earthlink has to offer me and way beyond that of Hotmail. If you guys would like I can take a quick pic of it for you.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2004, 05:57:05 PM »
I have been curious of the interface, mind snapping a screen, as long as there isn't anything you don't want anyone to see in there.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2004, 08:40:17 AM »
I disagree with that Mouse.    A couple things that really stood out to me are automatic server queries, and threaded discussions.  I would post a screenshot of some new stuff, but I really don't want to have to edit the screenshot, and there's stuff I would rather not share with everyone here.

E-Mail clients are well known for being much more fully featured than their webmail counterparts because of the robustness that you can put into a downloadable program.  Some of the better mail clients have threaded discussions, which nest emails and their replies in a format similar to a message board.  Google implements threaded discussions in a simple and elegant fashion.  It's almost like having a stand alone mail app without the hassle.

Another thing I noticed was that gmail uses client scripting to query the mail server every so often to check if there's any new mail.  I gave the source code for that a brief looking at, and I noticed that for Internet Explorer people, it uses the XMLHTTP ActiveXObject.  I assumed from there that Mozilla users would use the XMLLHttpRequest object built in, and Opera users would likely use some other form of doing the same thing.  (Perhaps a DOM Document).

Basically, what this means for the user is that you do NOT need to refresh your inbox to receive new mail.  It will just appear in there when a new mail message is received.  I can pretty much guarantee that this works on Mozilla/Mozilla forks and Internet Explorer.  Opera/Konqueror/Safari users should probably give it a shot, but no promises.

As for the privacy thing, gmail is upfront with you when you sign up, and tell you all about how their system works.  When you delete email, it may take a while for the email to be fully deleted from their systems, but it WILL be deleted eventually.  The real difference between gmail and non-gmail is that you have no idea what microsoft or yahoo do with your email.

But regardless, I think it's a little bogus to be complaining about gmail's privacy.  You agree to their terms when you sign up.  They give you 1GB of space, and the fastest and bestest webmail interface I have ever seen.  In return, they want to deliver ads to your inbox based on the scanned content of your email.  As a consequence of the 1GB of space, it may take a while for emails to be deleted.

But personally, if their terms were to take a random sample of every 100 emails in your inbox, photocopy it a hundred times, send it around the office and laugh, I honestly don't care.  I'm beyond the power of any insane US President or his merry men, as I am Canadian, and it's not like I am up to no good that often anyway.  (And I use anonymous email accounts and spoofed IP addresses for such things anyways).

Short and sweet of it is that I love gmail.  I think that it's just your standard knee jerk reaction that's generating such bad press.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2004, 08:59:52 AM »
Most of you seem to be giving G-mail the thumbs up.  I'm already working with a perfectly capable mail server, but if ever I am in need, I'll know where to go.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2004, 09:08:18 AM »
Well here are some more pictures:

GMail Message

GMail Trash

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2004, 09:36:23 AM »
heh, kinda reminds me of yahoo's setup somewhat. But not bad.... How long before it goes public?
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2004, 08:50:03 PM »
Looks good, thanks for posting.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2004, 07:20:36 AM »
Well damn. Am I the only one having trouble getting on gmail today? I can get to gmail's homepage, but when I try to login I get an error that says "Sorry. The document contains no data." That can't be good. I have autologin on Camino, so it just doesn't even go to the homepage using that. I had to crack open Safari to get to gmail's homepage but when I logged in, nothin. Please tell me I'm not the only one really upset by this. I want this to be a big thing that effects lots of people cause that means they haven't frozen my account. I'll be REALLY mad if that's the case. Grrr. Mad.

EDIT: Nevermind. Gmail is working again. All is right with the world.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
LOL!!

I was just checking my Hotmail account, and saw this little ad in the lower-left side of the screen.

Coming soon! MSN Hotmail Upgrade
- Summer: Virus cleaning of incoming email
- Fall: 250MB of storage for your Inbox
- Fall: Send/receive up to10MB of attachments
- Keep checking here to learn about it!

Very amusing.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2004, 08:40:32 AM »
Christ on a bike. It's about time. I'm still stickin' with gmail though.  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2004, 11:34:48 AM »
I wonder how Echelon copes with spam?

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2004, 08:49:44 PM »

and get rid of your hotmail or yahoo or whatever account.

How exactly do you cancel a Yahoo account anyway?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2004, 10:28:54 PM »
Never log into your account in at least 4 months or ask that your mail account be deactivated
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.