Author Topic: MGS2: Substance PC version  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
MGS2: Substance PC version
« on: June 12, 2004, 03:55:17 AM »
After enjoying MGS: TTS, I'm seriously thinking of buying the PC version of MGS2: Substance (don't have a PS2 or xbox), mainly for the VR missions.  I've read the PC version was a lazy port and the control system is identical.

Which brings me to this point.  I have a PSone dual shock gamepad and a PS to PC USB controller adapter.  Will I have any control issues using my PSone gamepad as oppose to the PS2 gamepad the game was designed for?  Has anyone tried this?  Thanks.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: MGS2: Substance PC version
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 12:34:42 PM »
yes.  I tried it, and it works unbelievably well...  But that being said, the game still sucks.  A disgrace to the name.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 03:32:02 AM »
Thanks a bunch!  I'll look forward to finding out how much the game sucks...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:27:27 AM »
Ninja: Was that a general statement about MGS2 or just the PC version?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:51:23 AM »
I'd say about MGS2, the game is laughable, the story that is, the gameplay itself is rather good, but the story is aweful, not good at all, and really distracts you from the gameplay too, and like Grey said, its a disgrace to the Metal Gear name.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:MGS2: Substance PC version
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 10:36:33 AM »
Well Metal Gear: Acid might also be a disgrace to the MG name.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 11:46:10 AM »
So MIGHT Snake Eater. Reserve judgment til its release. I've only heard bad things about MGS2, but I still want to play it. Mostly cause I looked up the game script and I was VERY surprised to see certain characters still alive and I want to know how. HOW?!  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:01:29 PM »

the gameplay itself is rather good

What little there was  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 02:30:31 PM »
I've been thinking about it, and I remember now that it was Silent Hill 3 that I was really impressed with in terms of controls.  I didn't even need to customize the button layout.  It was absolutely amazing.  The controller worked JUST LIKE it would have on a PS2.

Metal Gear Solid 2 required a fair bit of configuring to get working properly, and there were two moves I couldn't do on the controller.  But they were fairly non-critical, and I could live without them.  (I found missing them to be about the same level of annoyingness as actually HAVING them on the real controller).

You know, I really hate to admit this, but I bought the PC version well after playing the PS2 version.  I bought it knowing full well that the game would stink up my room and bring dishonor to my PC.  But you know... that first level can last a fairly long time if you REALLY draw it out... and the VR missions are kind of fun.  (But I had my fill of the VR stuff with MGS: Integral).  I figured I could get my $25 worth if I just played the first level repeatedly.  And you know what?  Other than the nasty taste I get in my mouth every time I think about actually giving money to Kojima for the pile of crap in CD form...  I don't regret it that much.

Just some emphasis on this...

Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: Well... the tanker and the VR missions are good.
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: But the actual game itself sucks more ass than a hooker in a gay-bar
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : werent a fan of MGS2?
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: nope.
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: not in the slightest
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : yah... it was a sad attempt of a sequel...
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: I have high hopes for MGS3
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: (although... I really hate to admit this, but I do own a copy of MGS2)
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: (I REALLY liked the Tanker stage)
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : meh... that's a true fan

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 07:13:41 PM »
I actually know quite a few people who enjoyed MGS2, i'll found out soon enough, i'll be playing through that once im done with Legend of Legaia.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 05:51:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Metal Gear Solid 2 required a fair bit of configuring to get working properly, and there were two moves I couldn't do on the controller.  But they were fairly non-critical, and I could live without them.  (I found missing them to be about the same level of annoyingness as actually HAVING them on the real controller).

What are the 2 moves you can't do the PSone controller?  And what was the configuration you used to get it to work properly?

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 07:19:28 AM »
There is a point in the game where you use the dual analog sticks for a weapon you receive near the end of the game.  I'm guessing dual analog controls can't be mapped to the PSone controller classic, but I could be wrong.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 07:27:59 PM »
AiAi, I don't remember both.  But I used the same controller layout as the PS2 version.  There are actions that are mapped to the analog functionality of the face buttons, and those are the ones I dropped.  The one I remember the most is the lack of being able to pull out my gun without firing it.  On the PS2, if you press the weapon button a little bit, it pulls out your equipped weapon, and doesn't fire.  On the PC version, I just have the button set to fire as soon as I press it.  But given the incredibly stupid manner of the PS2 way of doing it, it doesn't really hurt much.  (honestly, face buttons don't make the best analog sensors).

odifiend, both of the sticks should be functional on PC.  The only things that aren't are the analog face buttons.  Most PSX->PC converters even have rumble.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »

The one I remember the most is the lack of being able to pull out my gun without firing it.  On the PS2, if you press the weapon button a little bit, it pulls out your equipped weapon, and doesn't fire.  On the PC version, I just have the button set to fire as soon as I press it.

The move you mentioned was 1 of the 2 moves I was thinking of, which a review mentioned about.  lol......that was the only review I've read to date that has bashed the game.  

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 08:09:36 PM »

Just some emphasis on this...

Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: Well... the tanker and the VR missions are good.
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: But the actual game itself sucks more ass than a hooker in a gay-bar
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : werent a fan of MGS2?
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: nope.
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: not in the slightest
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : yah... it was a sad attempt of a sequel...
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: I have high hopes for MGS3
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: (although... I really hate to admit this, but I do own a copy of MGS2)
Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.  With love, Solid Snake: (I REALLY liked the Tanker stage)
I eat people.  I'm a humanitarian : meh... that's a true fan

Someone care to translate this?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 08:54:42 PM »
What is there that needs to be translated?

Dearest Genome Soldier: Having a wonderful time, wish you were here. With love, Solid Snake:  MGS2 sucks.

Plain and simple.

ADDED:  Has anyone come across any bad bugs in the PC version?  In the Tanker section, after Otacon tells Snake to take 4 pics of Metal Gear Ray, when gameplay resumes the game crashes after about 1 second.  I've tried many times (even skipping the cutscenes and codec if that made a difference).  The game successfully didn't crash once, but haven't been lucky since.  It crashes at the same point all the time and sadly, there's no patch that fixes the bug.  Has anyone came acorss this and know a way around it?