Author Topic: Opera Included in Wii  (Read 7908 times)

Offline sycomonkey

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • my blog
RE: Opera Included in Wii
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:07 PM »
It was also be very easy to make a Web-based Media-Center, effectively making the Wii into a media center... assuming one knows enough javascript and perl (or AJAX or something).  Heck, something like this may allready exist.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 09:20:10 PM »
Also assuming that the Wii would support a particular video format (the server could dynamically re-encode it into whatever the Wii recognizes.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 08:19:24 AM »
I thought the 512MB are called flash ROM? Guess the other interpretation is that the 512MB are all user data and Opera is included with the firmware.

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 10:35:31 AM »
KDR is correct. Flash ROM (Read-Only Memory) a.k.a. EEPROM is rewriteable. It made sense to someone. (I think the tech used in Flash memory is similar to ROM chips.)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
But why use the term ROM? That usually refers to EEPROM technology, much like our 100-saves-before-they're-kaput SuperNES technology.

Flash memory, which is what the 512 MB has been called, is more like our Memory cards and USB Key drives. This is similar to EEPROM, but is better for rewriting purposes (it doesn't go kaput).

I'd like to think that he uses the term ROM because he really means a sort of memory in the hardware not intended for frequent rewriting, not because he doesn't know what the technical term means.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.