Poll

What is your vote for Game of the Decade?

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
26 (23.6%)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
17 (15.5%)
Metroid Prime
30 (27.3%)
Resident Evil 4
9 (8.2%)
Wii Sports
14 (12.7%)
Super Mario Galaxy
14 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: February 25, 2010, 09:28:28 AM

Author Topic: Game of the Decade -- Vote After Listening to RFN 183!  (Read 49181 times)

Offline iDraTion

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Game of the Decade -- Vote After Listening to RFN 183!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
Little disappointed to see Sands of Time didn't make the list because on top of the 3D platforming aspects (which was the first game to really execute the acrobatics of the Matrix, wire-fu, and other stylistic approaches to stage combat in film), it was one of the first games to best execute a cinematic, circular narrative where the end of the game informs nuances throughout the entire game, similar to Memento where a full viewing lets you in on the details present throughout the film.  I really think it was ahead of its time and had a much greater impact on gaming than it gets credit for.

I feel like Majora's Mask is only on there because Ocarina of Time was two years too early to make this list, which by the same token I don't think Galaxy 2 should be on next decade's list because it will be an iteration on the more original game, its predecessor.  I think Wind Waker was a better game, particularly because of how it executed on the mostly-water world in an adventure game, which in concept seems ludicrous for a land-lubbing series like Zelda. 

More importantly, it set the precedent for the art of the game to be the graphics of the game, instead of rendering concept art in realistic textures and quadrillions of polygons.  You wouldn't have had Okami without Wind Waker, and you most certainly wouldn't have had Ubisoft use the art style it did on the recent Prince of Persia.  Its impact can be seen just by how reaction to screenshots has changed.  It went from disappointment/anger at a 3D artistic style, to peaked interest at a more artistic approach to graphics that we see more of today.  It opened the door of artistic 3D graphical design well before the industry was ready.

Melee was great because of how many hours were pumped into it/sucked into its ridiculous black-hole time-sink, but I'm not quite sure its a game of the decade, and I think its only because of its limited scope.  Can a fighting game ever be a better game than a solid adventure game?

Wii sports was great and definitely industry changing, but Galaxy is really the closest to perfection that any of those games come to; though it is on this list because I think it was a greater evolution on platforming than even Super Mario 64. 

Prime was fantastic, I think the best, most compelling 2D to 3D transition of any of Nintendo's franchises.  First person shooting, adventuring, and platforming in one game.  No game has ever done that to the level of execution that Retro did.  Let alone the expansive world, exploration, and discoverable plot left to the player to find if they wanted to, its game mechanics alone, imo, set it apart from the majority of other games.  A little RPG weapon upgrading/equipment changing that was integrated into the gameplay, as Metroid is known for and that Prime expanded upon with the visors, and I'm hard-pressed to find a game that utilizes as broad-reaching genre characteristics to make a really unique game.  Prime vs. Galaxy in my book.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:43:13 PM by iDraTion »

Offline maxguy4

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
OK I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF THE GAMES THEY HAVE CHOSEN. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY GIT RID OF WINDWAKER FOR MAJORAS CRAP MASK. I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE BECAUSE OF THAT. PLEASE CHANGE MAJORAS MASK TO \WINDWAKER!!!!11!!!1!1111 :Q

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Little disappointed to see Sands of Time didn't make the list ...

We totally agree about Sand of Time - I also think it was brilliantly written, enjoyable to play, and influential on games that came afterwards.  It's a shame that sequels weren't able to make meaningful improvements on the game but the bar was set high from the beginning.

I feel like Majora's Mask is only on there because Ocarina of Time was two years too early to make this list, which by the same token I don't think Galaxy 2 should be on next decade's list because it will be an iteration on the more original game, its predecessor.  I think Wind Waker was a better game, particularly because of how it executed on the mostly-water world in an adventure game, which in concept seems ludicrous for a land-lubbing series like Zelda.

But here we have to disagree.  Majora's Mask is brilliant because it does things so differently from the "same old" Zelda that we've come to expect.  It did build on the engine and framework of Ocarina of Time, but offered a very different feel and really expanded on the kind of puzzles and interactions that were possible in games at the time.

When Majora's Mask released, there was no other game with a more well-defined world.  NPC characters had schedules and plans and actions that had to be tracked and charted.  World events could be manipulated and adjusted using the power to control time and adjust or affect certain events before they even happened.  And the whole brilliant side-story was wrapped in a delicious layer of dark, absurd humor.

I'm not taking anything away from Wind Waker - a brilliant game in it's own right - but simply cannot believe any claim that Majora's Mask was just an "iteration" on Ocarina of Time.  If anything, Majora's Mask was the most unique and ambitious Zelda title (in terms of story) of any that I've played... and I'm not expecting Twilight Princess to change that.

Also, I think your emphasis on Wind Waker's graphics is misplaced.  There were games with cell shaded graphics released before Wind Waker, and some truly great games with similar artistic style under development at the same time.  In fact, there were more "big" games experimenting with different graphical styles at that time than there are now.

In my opinion, Wind Waker failed to make any notable change in how the industry (or average gamer) looks at graphics and artistic styles... although we can agree that it certainly remains one of the most respected games out of those pushing towards that goal.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
I voted for Metroid Prime.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
OK I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF THE GAMES THEY HAVE CHOSEN. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY GIT RID OF WINDWAKER FOR MAJORAS CRAP MASK. I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE BECAUSE OF THAT. PLEASE CHANGE MAJORAS MASK TO \WINDWAKER!!!!11!!!1!1111 :Q

Pro tip:  Posts like this look foolish.  By extension, people who make posts like this look foolish.

Since I'm sure you're not foolish, maybe it's a better idea to give a mini-review of the game you would have rather seen listed instead of just complaining?  Explaining why you like that game and why it is your choice for "Game of the Decade" will make a lot of people stop and think about it... or better yet, go back and play it themselves.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Note to self: look for Sands of Time cheap so you can beat it. Also, buy Majora's Mask on VC before drewmg murders me on air during Newscast.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
So I got my NP today and they had a Game of the Decade.
Here is the top 10 in their eyes.
10:The World Ends with You.
9:Mario Kart Wii
8:Metroid:Zero Mission
7:Elite Beat Agents
6:Metroid Prime
5:Super Smash Bros Brawl
4:The Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker
3:The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
2:Resident Evil 4
1.Super Mario Galaxy

As far as these selections. I went with Wii Sports because it is what got me interested in games again.

All of the choices are good. I love RE4 for its replay value. Mario Galaxy for its Music and co-op as well as its graphics.SSBM for its fun local multiplayer. Majora's Mask for its unique take on the Zelda franchise.Metroid Prime was a very new take on the Metroid series. Most people at the time were worried about the direction it took but those worries were unfounded since it turned out so well.
All of these titles deserve to be game of the Decade.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:03:03 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
ejamer: Wind Waker might not be the first or only game to use cel-shaded graphics, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more consistent, fully realized world than the one created for that game.

I've gotta get back to Majora. It IS a good game once you accept what it is, and I have to admit that the knowledge that the world's destruction is just days away gives the entire game a melancholy sort of feeling.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
I'm voted based on which game -personally- has the most replayability.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I'm one of the oddball Nintendo fans that didn't like this game/series.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - as one of the older games on the list, I can't remember how many times I've played through this. I think just once or twice. Definitely my favorite Zelda game of the century, though. I'm mildly interested in playing through this one again.

Metroid Prime - I love the Metroid series, especially Super Metroid. I think I may have played though this game or two times. I know I played on the harder difficulty and got stuck at one point. I currently don't have the desire to play it again... but maybe someday.

Wii Sports - It's a fun game w/ broad appeal. It's a good game to play when you're around people that aren't interested in other types of games. But... I am personally more interested in other types of games. I'm only interested in playing this again if my friends want to.

Super Mario Galaxy - This game is fairly recent. I beat it w/ Mario then played through a second time as Luigi. I'd be interested in playing this again sometime in the future.

Resident Evil 4 - I played through the game maybe twice or so on the GameCube and then I've played though it perhaps another four times on the Wii. And I was playing this game right before I noticed this "Game of the Decade" topic. This is my winner.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM by Nemo »
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
1.Super Mario Galaxy

That's a very interesting list. The one I haven't played is The World Ends With You -- heard very mixed things about it from friends. I wouldn't have put Twilight Princess nearly so high on the list, although I do think highly of it (and gave it a 10/10 review). Elite Beat Agents is a nice runner-up that we never considered, and probably should have. My only counter-argument is that the original Japanese version, Ossu Tatake Ouendan, did it first and did it a little better. Finally, it struck me odd that Nintendo Power left off Majora's Mask, until I remembered that they consider it the 11th-best Zelda game or some such nonsense. And that lack of reason makes it hard for me to respect their list very much.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
Note to self: look for Sands of Time cheap so you can beat it. Also, buy Majora's Mask on VC before drewmg murders me on air during Newscast.

It's interesting that a lot of used 3rd party Gamecube games tend to be priced a little higher than their PS2 and Xbox counterparts.  I've found this to be true for both Sands of Time and Beyond Good And Evil recently.  Perhaps that just means that fewer Gamecube discs were printed for these games?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:56:57 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
Finally, it struck me odd that Nintendo Power left off Majora's Mask, until I remembered that they consider it the 11th-best Zelda game or some such nonsense. And that lack of reason makes it hard for me to respect their list very much.

To be honest, I had forgotten that Majora's Mask even came out during this decade until I heard it nominated on RFN.  Then I remembered that I bought it the same day I got my launch PS2. 

Edit: My apologies for double-posting.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:08:42 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
1.Super Mario Galaxy

That's a very interesting list. The one I haven't played is The World Ends With You -- heard very mixed things about it from friends. I wouldn't have put Twilight Princess nearly so high on the list, although I do think highly of it (and gave it a 10/10 review). Elite Beat Agents is a nice runner-up that we never considered, and probably should have. My only counter-argument is that the original Japanese version, Ossu Tatake Ouendan, did it first and did it a little better. Finally, it struck me odd that Nintendo Power left off Majora's Mask, until I remembered that they consider it the 11th-best Zelda game or some such nonsense. And that lack of reason makes it hard for me to respect their list very much.
Well actually Majora's Mask is pretty high on their list it is just that the other Zelda's are higher.
Anyway If you want to know all the Game of the Year Winners. Here they are.
2000:Majora's Mask
2001:Super Smash Brothers Melee
2002:Metroid Prime
2003:Wind Waker
2004:Metroid Prime 2:Echoes
2005:Resident Evil 4
2006:Twilight Princess
2007:Super Mario Galaxy
2008:Super Smash Brothers Brawl
2009:New Super Mario Bros Wii
Keep in mind that the Game of the Year was voted for by the NP readers in 2000-2005
Since then The Staff and the readers have seperate choices.
2009 was split between the two. Staff picked New Super Mario Bros Wii and Readers picked Kingdom Hearts:358/2 Days.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »
1.Super Mario Galaxy

You really should try World Ends With You, Jonny. It was a very fun and unique game. I'm actually glad it made someones list. I personally think it would be a contender for the DS Game of Decade.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »
I had to vote for Metroid Prime ultimately, but it was a close race with Resident Evil 4.  Everything else was way in the dust.  Also, if other consoles were included, Shadow of the Colossus would be somewhere in there.  I think that's about it though.

MP was so incredible because of the beautify and immersion of the world and the pacing of the gameplay.  RE4 was a more "pure" game in that it relied more heavily on exciting and well crafted gameplay scenarios.  SotC is also beautiful and immersive, but the pacing is much more subtle.  All three were unique and took a big risk in trying something new or stepping away from an established formula.  Bravo.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
I voted for Majora's Mask (my favorite Zelda), but I'd be quite content with Metroid Prime (the first Metroid game I ever enjoyed) or even Resident Evil 4 getting the overall nod.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:26 AM »
Note to self: look for Sands of Time cheap so you can beat it.

They sell a "Two Thrones Special Edition" here which is basically all three last gen PoP games on one disc for the PC.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 03:30:37 AM »
Couldn't imagine playing any of the modern PoP games without a game pad.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, took one aspect from THE greatest Zelda and turned us into stalking freaks that was obsessed about time.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee, is extreeeeemly good but with Brawl having the addition of online play, more charters, user created levels, sharper graphics, and the same control scheme that we loved, why isn't this one nominated over the latter?
  • Resident Evil 4 gave us the chance to tell PS2 fan-boys to eat it! It not only reinvented itself but showed us what could/should be realized in a 3rd person shooter. Scary? maybe not... but I dare you say you weren't "afraid" of the Chainsaw Zombie...
  • Wii Sports........... to forever be know as "THE GAME THAT PUT IT ALL IN MOTION".....Damn good choice DiamondJ
  • Super Mario Galaxy, it made us smile, it made us cry but we waited tooooo long for it to surface and only give us the best hodgepodge of Mario available. It is the best and most unique platformer out there but JJ is right.. it's missing something.
  • Metroid Prime, the first time we seen the screen shots and realized the game was played from the ?? first person view ??, most of us wrote it off. Its a platforming, shootin', backtrackin', item collectin', action packin', Ridley fightin', ball rollin, grapple beam usin lady that i cant see. It's not possible for them to put any of that in this crap they showed us........needless to say I no longer judge before I play. I present my pick, Samus please take a bow.
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
Metroid Prime was the Ocarina of Time for its decade.  It took a game property that was previously only in 2D and brought it to 3D the right way.  There was no blueprint for Retro to work from, just like Nintendo had no existing blueprint for Ocarina (aside from Mario 64, but the design challenges were completely different for each game).   When it was announced I had no idea how they would pull it off, but they did.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
Couldn't imagine playing any of the modern PoP games without a game pad.

They sell gamepads for PCs.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:21 AM »
Metroid Prime was the Ocarina of Time for its decade.  It took a game property that was previously only in 2D and brought it to 3D the right way.  There was no blueprint for Retro to work from, just like Nintendo had no existing blueprint for Ocarina (aside from Mario 64, but the design challenges were completely different for each game).   When it was announced I had no idea how they would pull it off, but they did.

This is exactly why I don't understand people writing off Other M so early... last time everyone wrote off a Metroid reboot based on short videos and first impressions, they were horribly horribly wrong.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
I'm certainly not writing off Other M.  I think it will be incredibly awesome when it finally comes out.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »
I'm certainly not writing off Other M.  I think it will be incredibly awesome when it finally comes out.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I've been playing Metroid Prime for the first time in a long time, and it's rekindling that amazing goosebump-y feeling I had when I first played it...and the first time I played Super Metroid as well. I hope I have that same feeling when I play Other M.

While my vote is still with Melee, I will not be upset if Metroid Prime wins...or really any of these games.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »
What was amazing about Metroid Prime was that it nailed the FEEL of a Metroid game.  It didn't feel like a spin-off, bastardization, or shoehorned concept.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog