Author Topic: The 30 Best DS Games  (Read 39742 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: The Best 30 DS Games
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
#1 will be revealed tomorrow, but c'mon, it's pretty obvious at this point. :)
Ping Pals.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
Allow me to pre-emptively rage about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon winning this.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »
Alpha Bounce clearly deserves it.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
Alpha Bounce clearly deserves it.

DSiWare games weren't figured into this. If they were, this would've been near the top of my list.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
#1 will be revealed tomorrow, but c'mon, it's pretty obvious at this point. :)

Yep
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
EBA IS BETTER.

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
Totally agree with the #1 choice.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Great feature!

Three suggestions:

One, how about an Honorable Mentions day where each staff member gets to award a title that didn't make it into the top 30?  This would help address those one-off titles that no one else played.

Two, similar to One, how about a day for notable import titles.  For example, I'd nominate Last Window, IMHO, it's better than Hotel Dusk (which is saying a lot), but had I nominated it, there's no way it would have made it in the top 50.

Three, how about running a second feature where us normies get to send in our top 10 (5?) picks, the same formula is applied and you run it all over again - it'd be interesting to get a larger pool and would be neat to see how the general population's opinions match up with y'alls.*

And - I'm surprised that Nintendogs (with it's crazy sales figures) and Clubhouse Games (because it rocks) didn't get a mention... :D

*edit: Just sat down and flipped through my DS titles to determine what my top ten would be.  Very hard to do.  Two things of note:
6 of my top ten are on this list.
All ten of my top ten are first party titles (which could be because the majority of my games are first party).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:08:19 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
Sorry NWR neal
 my words were not ment to be fighten words.
 sadly as i said reviewer like the game, and no one buys it.
 happens all the time on nintendo.
 The points system is a very fair way to do a list, but as u see, some games get
 high positions, and others of equal quality lower, and some very good games
 get omitted. As for the list it was a good feature, sorry my comments were far between.
and perhaps upsetting. i never ment for that to happen. Just stating the sad state of
 affairs with nintendo.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46:05 PM »
I'm hoping the next Console Mario Kart is Mario Kart DS with Mario Kart DD style karts.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Online in Mario Kart DS was a rather humbling experience for me. I know for a fact that Mr. Bivens runs in the Plaid class. Though back in the day I did pretty damn good against friends, my feeble skills were no match for guys like him. Curses! :P: :

A great game and essential entry in the series that can easily carry the weight of being called #1.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Nin10do-Fan

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
I believe IGN has the same thoughts as this. Cool!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »
I really loved Mario Kart DS but snaking and hackers online killed the experience. I also badly wanted online balloon battle in old school block fort 4 player. They do have that online on mario kart wii but its different, and on the ds it has bots which are not the same and its too crowded with more than 4 people

Offline RagnaBlade

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »
Wish TWEWY had gotten some love..... Otherwise, some good picks.
Sand will cover this place. Sand will cover you.

Offline NintendoFan4Life

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Nintendo Power had a recent article with 10 must have games in no particular order:

Phoenix Wright:  Ace Attorney
Tetris DS
The World Ends With You
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario & Luigi:  Bowser's Inside Story
Mario Kart DS
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions
The Legend of Zelda:  Spirit Tracks
Elite Beat Agents

Offline NintendoFan4Life

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
If anyone is interested, Picross 3D is $9.99 on amazon with free standard shipping.  I just ordered 2.

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
sad
The World Ends With you is not only the best DS game, I have it in high contention for best game ever.  If DQ IX ranks highly for having stuff for everyone, TWEWY has a good heaping of stuff as well... though there is an end to it.  Took me awhile, but I managed to max everything out, there has been no game in existence before or after that which I actually wanted to do that on.

THE JACKEL
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
My guess is that TWEWY would have made the list if everybody had rated their top 30.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
Hahahahaha. This is funny. You guys are funny.

"Best 30 DS Games". I get it. That's a good one. Does the DS even HAVE 30 games worth buying? I guess if you're a Nintard deperately trying to justify your purchase of the next Virtual Boy it does. Too bad touchscreen gaming is a shallow gimmick, and you've already seen everything a touchscreen can do in the Super Mario 64 DS minigames.

And now that Nintendo found success in casual games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, that's all you're ever going to get. Third parties will all jump ship to the PSP and you'll never see any big games for the DS. EVER.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline mdo

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
Hahahahaha. This is funny. You guys are funny.

"Best 30 DS Games". I get it. That's a good one. Does the DS even HAVE 30 games worth buying? I guess if you're a Nintard deperately trying to justify your purchase of the next Virtual Boy it does. Too bad touchscreen gaming is a shallow gimmick, and you've already seen everything a touchscreen can do in the Super Mario 64 DS minigames.

And now that Nintendo found success in casual games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, that's all you're ever going to get. Third parties will all jump ship to the PSP and you'll never see any big games for the DS. EVER.

Hahahahaha. This is funny. You are funny.

The DS has plenty of games worth buying, hence all the lists and all the fans which you so lovingly call Nintendards. This "shallow gimmick made the DS the number one handheld system for a reason, i dont see a whole lot of people carrying around psps in public, and if they are theyre using the mp3 function, which quite frankly also rarely happens thanks to the ever so portable handheld system known as iphone.

Whats this crap about third parties jumping ship? lol Sony and microsoft rely a lot on third party which i honestly dont mind but theyre definitely not jumping ship, therye already there... Nintendo has a lot of original titles that keep the system alive and im pretty sure you know that.

Nintendogs and brain age came out a bit ago... where were you when the three Pokemon came out, the two Zelda games, Advance wars, dragon quest, radiant historia, all these games are amazing (in my opinion).

To each their own bro, quit hating