Author Topic: Iwata Keynote Tidbits  (Read 16977 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2005, 09:52:09 AM »
I honestly don't understand the up and down emotions of most Nintendo followers. One moment Nintendo deserves your harshest criticism and the next, you say how they make you feel stupendous joy or something rather. Iwata's recent statements are exciting, but they have not swayed my belief in Nintendo at all, nor have other issues in the past such as the lackluster Mario Kart, the poor Broadband adaptor supply, dearth of third party games or such and such.

All along I've felt that Nintendo is the one company who can best deliver on the values I look for in games: real fun, thoughtful design, pure control and surprising ingenuity, all in one package. And even as the years went on, I've not been disheartened by my favorite company, but have developed a better understanding of them. Their emphasis on "Wi-fi" as opposed to "internet" should come as no surprise, becasue Nintendo is not nearly in the same position as Sony or Microsoft when it comes to developing networks: they're not a technology company. Nintendo's lack of online with the GC wasn't a surprise, nor is their push for Wi-Fi now, because even their Famicom went online back in the 80's, and they've dedicated themselves to providing networked games only when it meets their requirements: free, easy, purposeful.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm astounded about why Nintendo fans feelings on Nintendo are so reactionary, when they could take a more proactive role in understanding the nature of Nintendo, the Nature of the market, and indeed, the nature of the changing world around them.

Carmine M. Red

P.S. I wouldn't crow too soon about Nintendo's Wi-Fi. PSP launches in the US soon, and we have yet to see Sony's and MS's revamped plans. And remember the old videogamer's adage: software sells. The proof is in the pudding: the games and implementation. I haven't ever felt like Nintendo has let me down, but then again, I've tried to understand them in a realistic manner.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
It's fun to be reactionary sometimes. You may never feel like Nintendo lets you down, but chances are with your attitude you'll never be as overjoyed when they do things right as some others here. Too much emotional control can be a bad thing.

Back on topic, now that all's said and done and the dust has settled, the only thing I really care about from those announcements is that the Rev will be backwards compatible and that Zelda looks like it'll deliver. Wifi can go to hell, but at least they didn't do the collosally stupid thing and charge for it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2005, 01:05:26 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
It's fun to be reactionary sometimes. You may never feel like Nintendo lets you down, but chances are with your attitude you'll never be as overjoyed when they do things right as some others here. Too much emotional control can be a bad thing.

Au contraire. There is no better joy in my videogaming life than to play a Nintendo game. I mean, even months or years later I keep discovering new insights into their game design and uncovering telling quirks that allow me to understand them better.

I'd like to think that instead of being a Nintendo fan by following their marketshare, I'm a devoted Nintendo fan because I am want to understand the company, people, and games for what they are and what drives them. I think it's a pity that fanboys have become more like fans of the public relations and the marketshare, rather than being fans of the games.

Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.