Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 189620 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the green stars. Some stars were placed in parts that made you do weird tricks in order to reach them, whilst others were just tossed over a pit and had you take a long jump leap of faith. I think they would have been a lot better if there were half as many as there are; having 120 feels so forced. But I do think it was better than playing the same game again with a different character, like the first game.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 12, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
I agree that the stars aren't perfect.  But they do give you a good reason to play through the game again without doing the exact same thing again.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
I think they would have been a lot better if there were half as many as there are; having 120 feels so forced.

If you were talking about Super Mario Sunshine or the original Super Mario Galaxy, I would agree with you. However, I think Galaxy 2 is the first 3-D Mario game since Super Mario 64 where I wasn't exhausted by the process of collecting all 120, let alone 242.

Hell, I enjoyed it so much that I actually went back to Super Mario Galaxy and played through the game to completion as Luigi, something that I never thought I would do.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »
I had no problems with the star collecting in Super Mario Galaxy. A couple were incredibly tough (the ones involving blowing up trash piles took me a few dozen times to get done quickly enough). I haven't played this one yet though.

Besides, collecting all the stars is optional. Complaining about an optional thing is really nitpicking.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
I wish that Giga Bowser was the final boss of this game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »
If you were talking about Super Mario Sunshine or the original Super Mario Galaxy, I would agree with you. However, I think Galaxy 2 is the first 3-D Mario game since Super Mario 64 where I wasn't exhausted by the process of collecting all 120, let alone 242.
Just to clarify, I was simply talking about the 120 green stars. Too many felt uninspired and thrown in. Though I do think that the few recycled galaxies were lame as well.

Besides, collecting all the stars is optional. Complaining about an optional thing is really nitpicking.
Just because something is optional does not give it a free pass from being critiqued. It is also optional to buy the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 14, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
Just because something is optional does not give it a free pass from being critiqued. It is also optional to buy the game.

Agreed. And in many cases the time and resources used to make those optional parts could have been used to fix something like Brawl's online!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »

Agreed. And in many cases the time and resources used to make those optional parts could have been used to fix something like Brawl's online!

Only it wouldn't since things like Galaxy 2 Green Stars were thrown in at the last minute in order to give the players who found all the regular stars alittle reward in the form of an optional quest that provides a few more hours of gameplay.  Plus there's the fact that Galaxy 2 already contains more variety and unique stars than any of the previous 3D Mario games, I think they deserve some slake for not devoting more attention to the Green Stars. 

Especially when you consider less then 20% of all the people who bought Galaxy 2 will even get all 120 gold stars.  Which is one of the reason why Nintendo hardly ever gives big rewards in their games for getting 100% because they don't want to spend a lot of time and money on features that the majority of the people who buy the game will never see.  Which is why the previous 3D Mario games basically gave you nothing except more lives, a new costume and a new character that plays slightly different.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2010, 02:34:31 AM »
They could have tossed in 60 green stars instead of 120. There's nothing that said they had to have 120.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 15, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
Wow, is anyone else seeing Mop it up's transition into an Ian Sane type figure?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #760 on: September 15, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
They could have tossed in 60 green stars instead of 120. There's nothing that said they had to have 120.

But who would that make happy? If you don't want to collect them all, don't. A lot of people do like collecting them all.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #761 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
Yeah, while some of the Green Stars were genuinely challenging to get to, a good number of them also felt tacked on. I liked how some where in plain sight while others were like "How the heck do I get that?"
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 15, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
Have you played the game yet, TJ Spyke?

Ha, not even close! Looking around, it'd seem I play more Nintendo games than everyone else here.  :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
Unlike with Ian, I'm pretty sure it's possible for Mop it up to be happy with something Nintendo does.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #764 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »
Have you played the game yet, TJ Spyke?

Sadly, not yet. My Wii was stolen awhile ago and I don't have enough money yet to replace it. I could understand not liking games that force you to collect stuff, but it's not like you are forced to get all the stars.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 16, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »
Ha, not even close! Looking around, it'd seem I play more Nintendo games than everyone else here.  :P

No, I meant it in the way you find things that can be complained about, but don't need to be complained about. Sure you don't like there being so many stars, but I'm pretty sure there are loads of people (me included) who really like the inclusion of more stars.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 16, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »
Eesh, you guys act like I said Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad game. I am a critic, it is my job to analyze games, and a part of that is to find faults others would overlook. Now, I'm not saying nobody would like all of the green stars, but I feel quite a few of them are not well-designed, which is a strange thing to see in this excellent game. All I'm doing is expressing my opinion, it is still up to the individual to decide for themselves if they are worthwhile. The fact that the only two complaints I have on the game are very very very minor things like this is a testament to the game's quality.

Beyond that, Ian Sane is sometimes condescending with his criticisms; I try my best to not do that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »
I thought you never wanted to become a game critic?
My Game Collection

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 16, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
We all become that which we hate...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 16, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
Or...you either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain?
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 16, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
Sadly, in this case, what Morari said is true. This is all your fault, NWR!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:07 AM »
Sadly, in this case, what Morari said is true. This is all your fault, NWR!

...Except you became a critic for PixlBit, remember? So I blame Thatguy.
My Game Collection

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
Mop's Tour de 64 reviews are good reads.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 30, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »
So I just started playing this game. Did anyone find it to be kinda difficult from the get go? For example, that first level is the best first level of any Mario game simply because of the difficulty. I've died several times so far and there are moments where I am astonished that I pulled something off and I've only just past Koopa Jr. (for what I'm sure is the first time).

And how gorgeous is this game? Seriously. It looks better than Uncharted 3.
black fairy tales are better at sports