Author Topic: Mega Man Xtreme 2 Review  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Mega Man Xtreme 2 Review
« on: June 03, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

There's a lot to digest in this GBC sequel.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/37598/mega-man-xtreme-2-review

I really liked Mega Man Xtreme, and I have similar feelings about this sequel, the final entry in Capcom’s “Mega May” series of Virtual Console releases. Everything you loved about MMXtreme is still here: remixed levels and Mavericks from not just two but three MMX games, upgrade capsules, and great graphics considering the hardware. But MMXtreme 2 layers on even more neat stuff: the ability to play as Zero, a “Parts” shop where you can equip X and Zero with enhancements, and a Boss Rush mode with all the Mavericks from MMXtreme 1 thrown in for good measure.

Like MMX, the unlock structure is a little wonky. In X mode, you play as X, face four Mavericks, then enter the new bad guy’s facility with the ability to switch between X and Zero. Next, you play as Zero, face four different Mavericks, then enter the new bad guy’s facility with the ability to switch between X and Zero. Finally, in Xtreme mode, you can constantly switch between the two at all times, but you’ll have to divvy up the Heart Tanks and Master Weapons! This makes Xtreme Mode somewhat strategic and potentially more difficult. The new bosses—Gareth and Berkana—are interesting final bosses (you’ll need to get through Xtreme Mode to see Sigma), and most of the Mavericks provide challenging encounters except the oddly toothless Neon Tiger and Wire Sponge. Buying and equipping Parts can really have an effect on X and Zero’s performances, too. You can even craft an “Ultimate Buster” for X if you skip his Buster Upgrade and focus on buying additive Parts.

I do have some issues with the game. Zero isn’t intuitive at all. About half his moves must be activated on the selection subscreen, and the other half use Up + B or Down + B (while on the ground or in the air). I had real issues getting X to fire Fire Wave and use Giga Crush. I’d press B but he wouldn’t fire. This wasn’t a problem with other weapons, so be aware of it. The final stage of the final boss facility is painfully unfair, with difficult jumps and instant death-dealing walls and floors. Use Save States generously. It’s still a great game, though.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.