Author Topic: Japanese GB Player Confirmed To Be Import Friendly  (Read 4322 times)

Offline msuzuki

• Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Japanese GB Player Confirmed To Be Import Friendly
« on: March 22, 2003, 10:16:29 AM »
Our friends at Play-Asia have received the Game Boy Player and put it through some tests.

The Game Boy Player was just released in Japan, and importers will be happy to know that the peripheral is fully compatible with modded U.S. GameCubes.  Also, U.S. GameCubes using the FreeLoader work fine.  Additionally, PAL GameCubes can use the Japanese Game Boy Player with the FreeLoader and RGB cables (you need these for color display output).  Finally, as one would expect, the Japanese GB Player does not work with unmodded U.S. GameCubes that are not using the FreeLoader.

So, for those of you who can't wait for the GB Player to be released in your territory, or if you want a non-black GB Player, import away!  Thanks to Play-Asia for the info!

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 11:35:19 AM »
Freeloader and silver GBP are coming at me!!  Eat THAT, Nintendo!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2003, 01:55:58 PM »
Ok, so you guys were wrong when you said it didn't need a disk. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait. When does the US version come out?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »
Hmmm....from what I understand, the boot disc that comes with it starts it up on Japanese Cubes.  That's where the Freeloader comes in for US/PAL Cubes.  Oh, but if you wanna wait for it's US release, you'll be waitin' until June.  I'd say import....NOW.  Plus, there's more colors to choose from!!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 04:08:27 PM »

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
Ok, so you guys were wrong when you said it didn't need a disk.

No, we aren't wrong yet. The US model is said to be changed in some way, the disc most likely. But we have 3 months to find out.
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 07:57:21 PM »
any idea when the GBA player comes out in PAL?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 06:02:13 AM »
Well did anyone think that this wouldn't work on modded Gamecube?  The only issue was whether it would work on a non-modded North American machine.  While this is pretty much what everyone expected but it's more like bad news than anything else especially after all these rumours about no regional lockout.  Isn't this what most of us didn't want to hear?

I'm going to have to give it some thought on whether I want to import since I have to buy a GB Player and a Freeloader.  That's starting to get pricey.  I think I'll wait and see what some other people think in case it doesn't work quite as well as they would like.