Author Topic: Nintendo Drops DS Price $20  (Read 4041 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Nintendo Drops DS Price $20
« on: August 16, 2005, 05:53:21 AM »
Just in time for Nintendogs.

NINTENDO DS A STEAL AT $129.99; NINTENDOGS BARKS UP A STORM

U.S. Fans Brace for Japan's Smash-Hit Puppy Simulation

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 16, 2005 – Nintendo is announcing new pricing for the Nintendo DS™ of $129.99 MSRP, effective Aug. 21, in advance of the arrival of a critically acclaimed title for the dual-screened, hand-held video game system. The $20 price drop comes just ahead of the Aug. 22 U.S. launch of Nintendogs™, which has become a cultural phenomenon and a sales leader in Japan because of its innovative appeal.    

"The new price and the arrival of a mega hit like Nintendogs give Nintendo DS a one-two punch that will thrill consumers," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "Consumers know Nintendo offers the best in the hand-held video game industry, and this news should make them very happy."    

Nintendo DS has outsold all other hand-held and console video game systems in Japan for four months straight. Nintendogs recently went on sale in Japan, sparking a nationwide craze, as owners began raising, training and falling in love with their lifelike puppies; more than 700,000 copies of Nintendogs have sold since its debut. Weekly Famitsu, Japan's leading video game magazine, gives Nintendogs an extraordinary overall perfect score of 40.    

Nintendogs is a puppy simulator made exclusively for Nintendo DS that lets owners name, train and play with a realistic puppy. The pups respond to their owners' voices with the built-in microphone, and react to praise and positive reinforcement via the Nintendo DS' touch screen. The sophisticated artificial intelligence simulates a real dog in every way. Nintendogs players pick from 18 breeds, then owners feed their pups, buy them new toys and take them for walks as they bond.    

In addition to Nintendogs, Nintendo DS has a strong lineup of games arriving before the end of the year. These include Advance Wars®: Dual Strike on Aug. 22, Trace Memory™ on Sept. 26, Metroid® Prime Pinball on Oct. 24 and Mario & Luigi 2™ in Q4. The new price for Nintendo DS also gives consumers another excuse to buy a Nintendo DS to be ready for the upcoming Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, the wireless gaming service to launch later this year with a Mario Kart® racing game and an Animal Crossing® community-building game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Drops DS Price $20
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:43:35 AM »
Just in time for Nintendogs?  More like just in time for a Zelda-less Cube Christmas.  They have to keep their fans from buying X360s somehow.  If Nintendo fans are going to have to look for another system to get their gaming fix this Christmas it's obviously better for Nintendo if they buy a DS.  I suggest they cut the price even more around October.  Anything to dissuade an Xbox 360 purchase.

Offline Jiggy37

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Drops DS Price $20
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 08:12:14 AM »
Go Advance Wars and Nintendogs. Sales should be interesting; I seem to recall the first two AW games sold about 785,000 combined--that being when nobody outside Japan had even heard of them before--and of course I'll be waiting to see the Western reaction to the puppies...

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 08:57:06 AM »
I hereby applaud Nintendo for NOT working the phrase "Who let the dogs out" into their press release.

And yes, I will be getting Nintendogs.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:20:17 AM »
More like DS should get an $80 price drop to make up for ZERUDA.

OHOHOHOHO
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 03:13:29 PM »
cmon, this isn't about the zelda (fights back tears) but truly this is a great move by Nintendo, I am now contemplating if i should buy a 2nd DS, because my 2 sisters have been draining my batteries.  1 of them loves Meteos and the other loves Mario 64.  As soon as Nintendogs is released i know im getting it for myself but I will be doomed if they get ahold of it for too long.  It might be easier if i just buy a 2nd DS just so I can use my DS, lol.

As for Advanced Wars, this is putting me into a tough position, whether i am going to get hooked on AW or Nintendogs.  This is going to be TOUGH..........

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »
You will also need to buy a second Nintendogs along with that DS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 08:06:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Just in time for Nintendogs?  More like just in time for a Zelda-less Cube Christmas.  They have to keep their fans from buying X360s somehow.  If Nintendo fans are going to have to look for another system to get their gaming fix this Christmas it's obviously better for Nintendo if they buy a DS.  I suggest they cut the price even more around October.  Anything to dissuade an Xbox 360 purchase.

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie
"You can please some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't make Ian Sane happy."

quoted & fixed for correctness  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 10:48:42 PM »
I thought the quote was "You can fool some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 12:16:25 AM »
And if you can please "all of the people some of the time," how can you never please a Nintendo fan? Isn't he/she counted as one of "all of the people?"
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:44:28 AM »
I would read it more as,

to be happy = to be satisfied

to be pleased = to be distracted long enough for the next big distraction to be released

then it should make more sense

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:56:15 AM »
IceCold: It doesn't say that once that "some of the time" is up you can't revert to "some of the people all of the time" (i.e. keep Nintendo fans)?