Author Topic: Sega and Sammy to Merge in October  (Read 5123 times)

Offline msuzuki

• Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sega and Sammy to Merge in October
« on: February 12, 2003, 08:38:38 PM »
The trend for game companies to consolidate continues as Sega and Sammy set to merge this October.

According to Bloomberg.com, Sega Corp. and Sammy Corp. have announced plans for a merger to take effect on October 1st.

Hajime Satomi, president of Sammy, is set to lead the joined company.  The 2 company's will hold a briefing soon.  As always, we'll have more on the story as it develops.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 09:26:17 PM »
MEGATON!
"For those I protect...
I cannot lose!!"

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 09:26:28 PM »
This is why you shouldn't believe in Nintendo buying rumors. These announcements come out of nowhere.

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 12:06:12 AM »
Well ... it's more like Sammy Owing Sega now.

Sammy might look like a small developer to you, but their other businesses are huge, and since Sega sucking right now, so Sammy is actually larger than Sega.

So it's not Sega getting Guilty Gear X, it's more like Sammy getting Sonic, PDO, PSO, so and so. and the SEGA Name.

in some ways it's kinda like Enix buying Square, where Enix wants to use Squares name so they call it a merger.

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 12:18:39 AM »

Nintendo's president went on to predict a major shakeout by next year, a scenario that is supposedly expected by many in the industry.
http://www.gamemarketwatch.com/news/item.asp?nid=759
Loks like yamauchi's prediction is coming more ture everyday.

Offline Arkk Angel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 06:05:26 AM »
Man, this was unexpected, but I'm sure that with Sega's game development expertise the next chapter of Guilty Gear X should give many of the top fighters a run for their money.  To me it seems like Sammy is getting the better end of the stick because they are getting all other Sega franchises and Sega is getting almost just Guilty Gear.  Either way more mergers are in the near future for other companies because video game budgets are now in the millions.  Not very many game developers have those types of resources.  Now all we can do is kick back and wait for the kick@$$ games to start rolling out thanks to the power of merging developers.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 07:24:11 AM »
This did come out of nowhere, it was supposidly M$ picking up Sega...ges not. Sammy picked up M$ instead! Wowza!. I lovez Sammy Guilty Gear XX is awesome. Guess ill get to use Sonic in Guilty Gear XXX?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 09:19:13 AM »
I have never played a Sammy game before....  BUT I LOVE THEM NOW!  It's now become thoroughly impossible for Microsoft to buy Sega.    That makes the Grey Ninja a very happy person.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 10:58:14 PM »
me too!

maybe with sammy in the fold, sega won't make as many BAD business decision they are famous for...