Author Topic: If You Could Re-Design the Revolution  (Read 8976 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
If You Could Re-Design the Revolution
« on: May 17, 2005, 02:20:29 PM »
Now that we know what Revolution looks like, and I'm sure we can all admit is a sleek design, but it is also just a little plain.  We also know that that is not the final version of the hardware, as Iwata said [paraphrasing] "we will make it even smaller by the time we are done with it"[/paraphrasing]

What I was proposing here is a thread on 'If you could re-design the Revolution, what would you change?'

I personally think that it looks like a very sleek external dvd drive for the computer, and while it looks very nice it could use a little uniqueness to it.  I don't have and artistic talent when it comes to drawing so I can't provide a picture or anything, but I thought a nice improvement to the design would be to move away from such a plain rectangle box look.  What if the design were to be a little more round, like a flat ovalish or circular design(think a circular block of cheese), only still flat in the back where you have to plug stuff in.

Thats just one quick idea I had, now I'm a little curious as to what all of you think......
How would you re-design the Rev?  

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: If You Could Re-Design the Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:37:25 PM »
I'd make it huge and put controller ports and cartridge slots for all the old systems on it.  

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:37:30 PM »
I wouldn't change much.  In terms of appearance I like it.  I think it looks really good.  So anything I would want to chang would be features and I don't know enough to declare if certain features I want aren't available.  I want to be able to plug a controller in to the console to charge it while playing like the Xbox 360 and I would like it if the online setup was not limited to wireless only.  If the current design doesn't have those two things I would change it so that it does.

I am however suggesting that to fit in with the retro download thing that they offer special versions of the hardware that resemble the NES, SNES and N64 (like the NES GBA).

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:If You Could Re-Design the Revolution
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
I'm sure they'll tweak the final look of it, but so far it looks all right.  Better than I could do, at least on budget.  I really like the blue light in the disk slot.

I guess my version would include streams of lighting all over the casing giving it some kind of Giger type pattern.  They could use fibre optics and have it pulsate colors and much more.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 02:50:51 PM »
It's already perfect...Now just give me my Triforce version, Ninty...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 03:03:41 PM »
I genuinely like the look of the Cube, besides the extra-cheap faceplate, so you probably don't want to hear my design opinions... [flaming orange, please]. But if they were trying to let the Rev fit more inconspicuously amongst other home theater components, they've done a far better job than either Sony or MS. My system doesn't have any of that plasticky, corny 'silver'; it's all pitch-black and angular. Kudos to Nintendo, then, for making the most machoer console of the next gen.

The only tweaks I'd make would be to give it a couple small accents, slightly more defined buttons instead of the PS2 ones they have on there. This is dorky as hell and honestly not attractive at all, but seeing as the console can be oriented horizontally as well, the "Revolution" logo could have alternating vertical/horizontal letters to make it more presentable in its flat position, and to communicate that ability in other media featuring the logo. Even though all three consoles will sit likewise.... Umm, keep the soft, broad light blue; it's a good universal color, and it'll match the Karma dock.

So, uh, I guess I pretty much like it.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 03:43:36 PM »
It needs blue LEDs like my Q!!!!

wait....

It's freaking awesome!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »
I'd display all the info we want to know brightly and conspicuously on the side as a temporary design that won't make it into the final version.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 05:34:40 PM »
I like the green and silver one, if anyone has noticed they had 5 colors during nintendos press conferance and they wernt sure which was gonna be the final color, they had black, green, silver, white, and red. They all looked spiffy. Anyway I would like to see a led display telling you which controllers are connected and maybe a little more info on whats going on. Although from the looks of it I think the add on mentioned for dvd's may fit in that slot just under the disc slot. and hopefully will have a display on it.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 06:16:46 PM »

I am however suggesting that to fit in with the retro download thing that they offer special versions of the hardware that resemble the NES, SNES and N64 (like the NES GBA).

Oh man... if Nintendo released an NES-Revolution I'd die. I'd just die.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 06:18:54 PM »
Add curves.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Obiyo

• The revolution is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
I second the NES-Revolution.  I'm wondering how different the final product will be, considering how they changed the DS.  I don't think it needs much changing to be honest, it looks a lot better than the Gamecube did.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:35:05 PM »
Ill probably just smooth the edges and I give it some nice light... wait, it already has it! so just the edges
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Obiyo

• The revolution is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »
I rather like the rectanagular design it has going. (it fits more with the entertainment system/home theater image)  So I hope they don't change the shape too much.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »
From the Nintendo.com forums in regard to the logo.

i agree 100% ... it looks to kiddie. like its unfinished or something. hence it being a prototype.

lol.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline PugGTI

• View Profile
RE: If You Could Re-Design the REVOLUTIoN
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
Its far from perfect, but i don't really care what it looks like... Its really whats inside that matters

Looks far better than the PS3, its a pitty the PS3 will kick its arse up and down the road as far as technology goes.
Reggie is a sad, mentally challenged man...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 01:47:45 AM »
I'd put it in a 1541(II) case. Now I wonder how many people here even know what a 1541 is.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 06:33:47 AM »
I'd like to see some rounded corners or...something.  I don't like the angularity of it.  Honestly though, I think it's a good design to please the masses, I'll stick with the basic design and just make a few small changes:

- slightly bigger buttons, so they're easy to press.  It's not a big deal, but I don't see why buttons have to keep getting smaller all the time.  I'd like to see a splash of colour added to them, too.  They don't have to be solid green and red like the buttons on a Cube controller, but they could use some colour other than off-white for the power/reset/eject labels on the buttons.  Something that says, "PUSH ME!"
- make the colour of the light coming from the drive changeable, that would be sweet!  Failing that, I'd like to see it change to red since that has been Nintendo's trademark colour in the past.
- personally, my Revolution would be made of chrome or some shiny metal...not silver plastic!  Otherwise, offer a few colours with black or something similar being the default marketing colour.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
RE:If You Could Re-Design the REVOLUTIoN
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 06:51:58 AM »
i can agree with the rounded corners...but i dont really care. if anything, i would make it smaller if it was possible.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline ta7mike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 07:01:25 AM »
I like the simple fact that you can hold it with one hand..that was so damn smooth how he took it out his coat in the Pre-Conf....if i look look at 360 and PS3..you need two hands to slug that around..plus the PS3 doesn't look like you can put it easily into an AV cabinet... if the Rev is that portable, it makes a sense to take it with you in the car or on trips... like what I do with my Cube...

Does anyone know why the Rev is slanted on a Base like that?  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 07:12:04 AM »
I was wondering about that, too. I'd guess it's simply an accessibility consideration. Systems tend to be placed close to the floor in AV cabinets and the like, so it would be a little more user-friendly in that respect. Not homosexual, just friendly.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 07:21:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Renny
I was wondering about that, too. I'd guess it's simply an accessibility consideration. Systems tend to be placed close to the floor in AV cabinets and the like, so it would be a little more user-friendly in that respect.

That's what I assume too, it's a lot easier to load the discs in if it's tilted like that... unless you place your systems somewhere higher than your head.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 07:50:53 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I'd put it in a 1541(II) case. Now I wonder how many people here even know what a 1541 is.

A 5.25 slot would be a little big though

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 11:13:30 AM »
Naah, barely. CDs aren't much smaller.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 11:37:05 AM »
I, too, would like a NES-like version.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.