Author Topic: Ideas for Next Smash Bros. Game Leaked?  (Read 7762 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Ideas for Next Smash Bros. Game Leaked?
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »

Some of these ideas include expansion of the sticker power up and Samus based more on Other M.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/27912

A supposed idea sheet for the next Smash Bros. game has been leaked onto the internet.

This idea sheet was allegedly sent to Sakurai's staff. In it, staff members would write out the ideas that they would like to see in the game. One of these sheets has been leaked onto the internet. 

One of the ideas presented in this sheet is an expansion of the stat-changing sticker system seen in the Subspace Emmisary single-player mode in Brawl. The sheet mentions that Square Enix's The World Ends With You used a similar system. While it does mention Neku, he is used as an example of how the badge system affects the character development.

The sheet mentions that the Mario franchise has seen great expansion in the last few years, and thus the new game should reflect that. It is likely that the creator is referencing games such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the two Galaxy games, games that have been greatly received by the media and gamers alike.

Other M and Zero Mission are mentioned, stating that the games presented Samus and Ridley in an unique way. It is mentioned that these games showed that Samus shouldn't necessarily be a "slow" character, that she has great agility and the game should present that side of her.

In other character-related ideas, the creator mentions that he feels that the Mother (Earthbound) and F-Zero franchises are done, and has no real ideas for these characters. Sega, Square Enix and Konami are mentioned, though it isn't stated in what way they should contribute to the game. Brawl, however, featured Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog as playable characters, so the creator could have been referencing that these characters should return and be updated.

The development of Kid Icarus: Uprising is nearing its completion, which means that the Smash Bros. game (which was announced for both the 3DS and Wii U) could be entering the pre-production phase. However, this is all rumor and in no way an indicator of what the final game will be like.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Next Smash Bros. Game Leaked?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »
Fake or not i'm just glad Ridley was mentioned!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »
the creator feels the Mother (Earthbound) and F-Zero franchises are done

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »
After Sakurai's latest comments on needing to finish Kid Icarus, I doubt they're even in the planning stages for the next Smash Bros yet, so this leak is very likely a fake.

Of course everything mentioned is probably true since it's very easy for anyone to make up since a lot of these things sound like no brainers that a sequel would have.  Considering most sequels expand on things from the previous game, saying the sticker system will be expanded on is easy to predict since there's a good possibility it'll happen.  The Mario series getting a boast in representation because of this insane success of Mario games for the DS and Wii, is also easy to make a prediction on as well.  Saying that the Mother and F-Zero franchises, two series that have been inactive for the last gen aren't going to get more representation because of their lack of popularity, also not hard to predict.  Samus being based off of her most recent game, similar to how all the characters in Melee and Brawl were also based off their most recent games is also something easy to predict. 

I mean really, even though this leak is probably 99.9% fake, about 99.9% of it will probably be true anyway because of how obvious most of the predictions are.  I mean come on, it would be like someone leaking a document about the next Mario platformer and saying Mario will jump on Goomba in the game.  Even though the leak is fake, what they're saying is true since it's something we can pretty much expect from a Mario platformer.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »
The stickers should be axed instead of expanded upon, they're just not a good idea period. The last thing Smash Brothers needs is to become more like an RPG.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
The stickers should be axed instead of expanded upon, they're just not a good idea period. The last thing Smash Brothers needs is to become more like an RPG.

Agreed on all levels. I HATED the SSE. It had nice cutscenes, sure, but gameplay was tedious as all hell, the story didn't make sense and I would rather have they worked on just the fighting game rather than a single player mode.

The reason SSB works is because there is more to it than just fan service. The SSE was nothing but pretty fan service with no substance.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
Sega, Square Enix and Konami are mentioned, though it isn't stated in what way they should contribute to the game. Brawl, however, featured Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog as playable characters, so the creator could have been referencing that these characters should return and be updated.

I would love Square characters like cloud or even GENO.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
I disagree with The Subspace Emissary being fan service. It was anything but fan service and that was one of the main reasons why it sucked so hard. Most of the enemies were made up (and they didn't even look cool). The storyline required Spark Notes from Sakurai on the Brawl website to make any sense and barely played off of the respective series. The series is a celebration of the long histories of each of these franchises and SSE ignored almost all of it. Fail.

In Smash Bros 4, I'd prefer they not even bother with an adventure mode. Get the game out sooner and focus on making multiplayer the best it can be (with a competent online mode).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:10:51 AM by Adrock »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
I disagree with The Subspace Emissary being fan service. It was anything but fan service and that was one of the main reasons why it sucked so hard. Most of the enemies were made up (and they didn't even look cool). The storyline required Spark Notes from Sakurai on the Brawl website to make any sense and barely played off of the respective series. The series is a celebration of the long histories of each of these franchises and SSE ignored almost all of it. Fail.

In Smash Bros 4, I'd prefer they not even bother with an adventure mode. Get the game out sooner and focus on making multiplayer the best it can be (with a competent online mode).

Exactly, have a slightly expanded story mode similar to Melee, and leave it at that. Have the standard challenges, and you can even keep the stickers, just hide them and/or have the player earn them as they play the game. But yeah, no more subspace emissary esque mode. Focus on what the series does best, the multiplayer, and work more on balancing the characters, along with more character variety (please no more clones).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Turbo857

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »

Can't agree with that one at all!  I actually thought the SSE in Brawl was indeed fan service.  The cut scenes offered a cinematic display of all of Nintendo's characters working together to take on a new enemy.  It gave Smash Bros. a story and gave a purpose as to why they are all fighting.  Seeing all the characters interact that way without voices implemented was pure genius!  I liked it and I know many others that did so it didn't suck!  If it's not your thing don't play it but it was a much better one player mode than was offered in Melee.  The fact that it was co-op made it even better!  It also forced you to play certain characters at specific parts which was a great way to get players into characters they usually wouldn't play as.  It was one of the reasons I kick ass as Olimar.  I'm looking forward to something similar in the next one and Samus being a faster character.  She was a little too slow in Brawl
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:54:32 AM by Turbo857 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
That's not my idea of fan service. Lumping a bunch of characters into a loose storyline didn't give make me nostalgic. SSE ignored everything about the various franchises that made me a Nintendo fan to begin with. It's not just about the characters. It's the worlds they inhabit which all felt lost in SSE. I don't give a **** who Duon or Tabuu are. They're lame.

I'm glad you liked SSE and know people who also liked it but that doesn't change a goddamn thing. I know a lot of people who hated the mode. And no, I don't have to play it but I'd still rather get the SSB4 sooner for the part that I actually want to play. If Nintendo wants to make a cross-over adventure, make a new separate game with it's own battle system because it didn't work using Smash Bros.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:31:36 PM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

To each his own Turbo but you are in the minority hear. Subspace was subpar at best. It was incredibly long and played  way too much like a bad Kirby game due to the awkward control of the characters in a platformer setting. Cut scenes were awesome that's for sure, but besides that is was a load crap. Though when Melee was out everybody and they mama wanted the single player expanded even more and oh boy did we get it. Now we would much rather have a shorter less boring version of Subspace with more effort into multiplayer.

There is no reason that Metaknight and Snake should have been such beasts compared to the rest of the roster. That bastard Sakurai adjusting all the power and speed levels himself! What an A-hole doing what he did to the Mario and Zelda characters.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
I thought Ike was a total dick and hated the ass kicking I received every time my brother picked him (unless I was Zelda).

Nerfing Peach was a travesty. She was a motherfucking beast in Melee. And why did they get rid of her ass explosion. Hearts? Bitch please.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:37:16 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
I be happy with a graphically update Port of Melee.  Which at the time I thought could be better.  Then I played Brawl and realized it was the pinnacle of the series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
Nice to know everyone has already forgotten what Sakurai said at E3.

3DS version - More single player oriented, expanded Subspace Emissary type mode

Wii U version - Multiplayer oriented

http://andriasang.com/comw97/

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more "individual" experience in that, compared to a console, it's easier to make players attached to the data that they've built up and collected.  The fact that you're carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven't relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character's level. There's no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

Adding the notion of experience would pose a dilmena, explained Sakurai, as there are some players who would get into such a game, while others would not like it.  Iwata added that placing a focus on experience would also make the game lose its instant play quality.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone.  He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.

Sakurai noted that as the Wii U is an HD system, this version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements.

For people who like the Adventure mode in Smash Bros, they can buy the 3DS version.  For people who like the multiplayer, they can buy the Wii U version.  For people that like the Adventure and Multiplayer, they can buy both versions.  Either way, Iwata and Sakurai are laughing because they're going to make a sh!it load of money.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Nice to know everyone has already forgotten what Sakurai said at E3.
No one forgot. The game pretty much only exists on paper at this point. Development hasn't started and anything can happen. We might not even see a 3DS version as that could easily get cancelled and IF it meant I got the Wii U version sooner, I hope it does.

What we're we talking about earlier is what we'd rather see in Smash Bros. regardless of the reality of what we actually get or what their actually planning.

Offline linkinspirit95

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »
Geno for Super Smash Bros!!!

Offline JBNintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
sorry buts I couldn't help hearing about everybody having diffrent ideas, About sse and to be honest...i liked it but could have been a bunch better (call me indifferent) umm but hey i saw sse as a long challange like all stars and mission mode... and if I had a choice.... I would make the adventure a story like if you ever played the last sly cooper game it would be like that but from the beginning like how everybody got to know each other...and I would make each character have its own story mode as if each Character made up a different sse story... like mario and luigi try to save peach from bowser and later end up in idk sonics or zelda world and see's link or sonic (but these would be like flash backs to the story) but if anything i mean ANYTHING... wizeman (from Nights) should be the ultimate bad guy shoot i don't see why not wize man a Nights(....ok maybe Nights) were born to be in ssb

Offline PKStawStoowm3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
FUUUUUU IDGAD IF THERE'S SSE OR NOT BUT NO NEW EarthBound CHARACTARS ARE U EFFIN KIDDIN ME??? >:OO

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
FUUUUUU IDGAD IF THERE'S SSE OR NOT BUT NO NEW EarthBound CHARACTARS ARE U EFFIN KIDDIN ME??? >:OO

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »

The EB series is pretty niche, even in Japan. So 2 characters is pretty good, more would be unrealistic.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Zakary1

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
Personally, I enjoyed the idea of an Adventure Mode in SSBB. It gave some closure to the idea of Super Smash Bros, and how they got together. The gameplay was fun, and it implemented the style of Smash Bros in such a corresponsive way. However, the plot was choppy and lazily crafted. The characters didn't even seem to tie together, and the way they all just appeared out of nowhere was extremely anticlimactic, as it was done over and over again. The thing that made it terrible was the fact that you were given NO explanation as to what the plot actually WAS. There were too many different adventures that just didn't seem to tie in well together. It was extremely separated. They definitely need to bring back adventure mode in the next SSB, no doubt. However, I believe they'll work on tying it all together more, and not leaving any plot holes like they did in Brawl. They need to make it not just by coincidence, but make it sensical.

Offline mewtwofan

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »
WHAT?!?! NOTHING ABOUT MEWTWO!? :( :@

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
Mutha fletchin' Mewtwofan! For a second I thought a new fake rumor came up. You from Smash Boards?

Stay in the current Smash topics if you want to post irrelevance.

RomanceDawn

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
This is really getting iritating...