Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 139796 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Disney+
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »
I think because Star Wars is ultimately a really fun world that you want to visit and see stories in.  So you forgive the many many mistakes that is made in previous movies.  And the story just looks fun.  It looks like a nice Space Western.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2019, 01:19:00 AM »
Last minute update on D+ brings the majority of MCU movies to D+ at launch
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/11/20959998/disney-plus-launch-marvel-titles-iron-man-captain-america-winter-soldier

In addition to the 6 original titles announced for launch (Iron Man, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel), Disney just announced about a week or so ago that Endgame would also drop a month early to make D+ launch. Now they just also announced that they are bringing the following title to launch;
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

which just leaves a few titles stranded on Netflix for the time being (Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Avengers: Infinity War, and Thor: Ragnarok), and TIH till Paramount gives up the goods.

I feel like there one or two not being accounted for.... but I can't pinpoint what I'm missing right now. It seems like their all there, but I only counted 21 titles....

edit: :facepalm:
I forgot they can't stream Spider-Man: Home Coming and Spider-Man: Far From Home
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:21:27 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
Disney+ is out.  The design and the interface is good.  Though, I have had some problems with series and account buttons overlapping.  I have also had some problems with loading and the design getting stuck.  I don't know if it is a problem on my end or the problem is with the servers and bandwidth.  I am curious if others are having problems and if Disney has enough servers and bandwidth for this service.  I am sure they will get things ironed out.

As it is, I have only watched one show and one short.  I watched the Jeff Goldblum show just to see if service was working.  It is a strange show, and I am not quite sure what I watched or if it was good. 

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
School was cancelled locally. On the day after a 4 day weekend, when local weather wasn't that bad.
I'm sure that Disney+ had nothing to do with it.

(The interface on my Roku is... ok.  There are some odd things happening when trying to browse content, and search wasn't working when I tried. Profile icons didn't work correctly in some cases. Might just be me, or due to VPN-related issues. I feel like there will probably be some updates coming, but as long as it's functional and the movies play, people shouldn't be too up-in-arms from anything I saw.)

Hey, Darkwing Duck and Ducktales is here... so who can complain?!
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
I happen to wake up at 3am, and couldn't immediately fall asleep. and while looking for and failing to find something to turn on, I remembered that D+ should have went live in the middle of the night.

I ended up watching the first episode of The Mandalorian.
It was cool, i might have blinked extra long at some points.... but it was around 4am, so it's not surprising that I might not have caught it all.
Weekly format on a streaming platform is gonna take some getting used to, but I'll most likely be checking out the rest of the show as it airs.
The pace seemed a little slow, and the main character a little dry, but the effects and the action where good. I'm sure it picks up, now that they got the first ep out the way.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
My inaugural Disney+ stream was season 6 episode 8 of The Simpsons “Lisa on Ice”. The aspect ratio is weird.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »
They supposedly went with original aspect ratios for the Simpsons

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
Apparently you actually can get the bundle discount for Disney+ with the ad-free version of Hulu, which makes this more tempting for me, but I still don't think there's enough on there to make it worth it to me right now. I love The Simpsons, but I already have the DVDs of them and they're in the right aspect ratio when I watch those versions.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2019, 09:44:35 PM »
They supposedly went with original aspect ratios for the Simpsons
The Simpsons’ aspect ratio is messed up on Disney+

The older seasons (i.e. the good ones) are cropped. I suspect Disney will eventually fix this and offer the original 4:3 aspect ratio. For now, I’ll deal. The Simpsons is a perfect show to put on in the background only to inevitably stop what I’m doing and watch for a while.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
The previous streaming home of The Simpsons, the aptly named Simpsons World, included both the original 4:3 versions and the 16:9 ones they used for the reruns on FX, and I imagine Disney+ will end up giving both options. I know some people really don't like having the bars on the side, even if stretching it out of cropping it compromises the artistic intent.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
Saw that the Hulu original Runaway series is on D+ already. How about Cloak and Dagger?  I hope original exit Star Wars shows up eventually.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
So any hot take reactions on D+, a couple of days in?

I don't think it's something we'll keep... although it's awesome to have quick access to so many classics, we don't have enough spare time to justify multiple streaming services and there isn't enough I've found appealing for day-to-day (ie: short burst) watching.

But the price is just low enough that I might rethink that for the kids. Just for the blockbusters alone, it's hard to argue $7 a month; throw in all kinds of classic Disney TV cartoons, and it's a tempting proposition. They really kept pricing in impulse buy territory, and while I initially thought that was a mistake maybe keeping people hooked while it's cheap for the first year and then slowly raising the price will pay off in the long run?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
At the moment Disney+ has positioned itself as the definitive secondary streaming service it really is a specialty service for families. The people saying that the service doesn’t have good original programs right now are right. The lineup is weak. But the potential is very strong.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2019, 11:31:21 PM »
Disney+ will NOT include Song of the South.  Finally answering that question.

It's version of Dumbo will also have the Jim Crow scene deleted.

UPDATE! Disney+ leaves in the Jim Crow scenes in "Dumbo", offers a disclaimer on sensitive content

This is a nice reverse of course and possibly opens up an opportunity to release Song of the South in the future, but that's just me speculating.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2019, 01:05:02 AM »
I saw an article on how to get D+ w/ Ad Free Hulu and ESPN+ for $13.99

FIRST: you sign up for Ad Free Hulu for $13.99(?)mo
THEN: you sign up for D+, Hulu ad supported, and ESPN+ bundle for $12.99 using the same exact email address

NOW: you will then get a $5.99mo credit on your original Ad Free Hulu account, and only be paying $1 extra for the triple bundle, but with Ad Free Hulu

you will have 2 billing accounts as your your original Hulu account will be crediting you.
I don't know if this actually works, but it was supposedly put out there by the Disney+ twitter account.

I only pay $1 for Hulu a month for the next 2 weeks (BF/cyber monday deal from last year....), but I'd actually probably pay for the service if I could get ad-free for only $6mo, and you throw in ESPN+ for free.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
Disney+ will NOT include Song of the South.  Finally answering that question.

It's version of Dumbo will also have the Jim Crow scene deleted.

UPDATE! Disney+ leaves in the Jim Crow scenes in "Dumbo", offers a disclaimer on sensitive content

This is a nice reverse of course and possibly opens up an opportunity to release Song of the South in the future, but that's just me speculating.

Yeah, that disclaimer is also before several other movies and shows. I can get why for Lady and the Tramp, but I could not think of why Jungle Book got it last night. Waking up this morning I remembered the ending scene with the girl and her song. Some shows got the disclaimer solely because of tobacco imagery too.

I still think Warner Bros has the better disclaimer, but this is a good start from Disney.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
Good move, Disney.

I think it's worth pointing out problems where they exist and using media to spur discussion about how things have changed and why.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »

The simpsons debacle in a nutshell.

I regularly watch Ashens and I have never seen that video before.  Though I can see why he doesn't tend to make stuff like that any more.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
I was watching the Lonesome Ghosts yesterday and I noticed most all old cartoons have a disclaimer that says "may contain outdated cultural depictions" They throw this disclaimer on most anything old it looks like. Except stuff with Tobacco. If it has tobacco in it then this content marker disappears. It says "Contains tobacco references"

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
So what is on everyone's play lists?

After browsing a bit, I want to watch:
* Return to Oz - Haven't seen this in ages, but have nostalgic memories.
* Willow - Don't know if I've ever actually seen this movie, but remember the NES game fondly.
* Nightmare Before Christmas - Just want to see the extra materials, to see how they stack up vs our old DVD release.

At the moment Disney+ has positioned itself as the definitive secondary streaming service it really is a specialty service for families. The people saying that the service doesn’t have good original programs right now are right. The lineup is weak. But the potential is very strong.

That description sounds right on the money.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »
So what is on everyone's play lists?

After browsing a bit, I want to watch:
* Return to Oz - Haven't seen this in ages, but have nostalgic memories.
* Willow - Don't know if I've ever actually seen this movie, but remember the NES game fondly.
* Nightmare Before Christmas - Just want to see the extra materials, to see how they stack up vs our old DVD release.

That description sounds right on the money.

get ready for Nightmare fuel.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »
Willow I need to see that again.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
get ready for Nightmare fuel.

What is this delicious sounding juice, of which you speak?