Author Topic: The Suffering...Canceled  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: The Suffering...Canceled
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2003, 04:38:15 PM »
I never heard of "The Suffering" until this thread... oh well.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The Suffering...Canceled
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2003, 04:38:16 PM »
I just think some of these companys are so out of touch.  What sense does it make to not give a game a chance to sell?  I like their comment about ' leading systems', too.  Everyone here makes a point of saying, 'who cares? its crappy Midway'.  And while i would agree, the perception problem doesn't get any better when announcements like this are made.  I'd be really happy if Nintendo canned some of their GBA games.  Or lock Midway out from the N5.  Put the shoe on the other foot for once.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2003, 04:39:57 PM »
At least when Nintendo was ruthless and cutthroat they were in the lead.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2003, 04:40:29 PM »
I actually did write to them.  Here is the email I wrote:

I just read that the game The Suffering has been canceled for the Nintendo GameCube. This confuses and disturbs me.  The reason for this is because of the large support and sales for the Resident Evil franchise on the GameCube.  Resident Evil games have always sold very well on Nintendo platforms. Both Resident Evil 1 remake and Resident Evil 0 have sold better than Capcom believed that they would for the GameCube.  With both The Suffering and Resident Evil being the same genre of game, it would only make sense that it would sell just as well if not better.  
   In a quote from IGN from one of your representatives they say you "want to concentrate on the leading platforms in the marketplace when it comes to launching original product."  The Suffering has a unique angle being from a haunted prison rather than the standard mansion.  It adds something different that isn't already there.  Nintendo and their fans are known for buying quirky new games and concepts such as Wario Ware Inc. and Animal Crossing.  Those are just two recent examples.
   The idea that the GameCube is not a leading platform is misguided.  It is in second place ahead of the Xbox in global sales according to the most recent sales figures.  Even if it was in third, it would only be by a few thousand units.  But with the recent global price drops, sales of the GameCube are skyrocketing everywhere.  It will soon overtake Xbox in North America as well.
   This is the reason why your games continue to not sell well on Nintendo platforms.  You develop games like Hitz and Blitz which are good arcade type games, but not much for playing at home for very long.  Burnout 2 is one recent exception though.  Many fans enjoyed that game and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance as well.  I purchased Hitz and got bored of it within a couple months, and purchased MKA and play that everyonce in a while.  A general perception of your company from many Nintendo fans is that you do not make quality games and make bad business desicions.  Business desicions such as this one.  It is no wonder Midway has been close to shutting its doors down.  My faith in your company continues to fall and I will most likely not be making any more game purchases from you.

Robert Miller
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2003, 04:55:36 PM »
I just wrote them a letter too.

I must commend your recent decision to stop making games for GameCube.  After the experience of playing Spy Hunter, I was beginning to wonder just how many Midway games I had to not buy in order to make this happen.  I am pleased to see that it didn't take long at all for you to decide that GameCube owners weren't worthy of your games, and I think that the prospect of you leaving our console alone is truly for the best.

Of course my campaign to not buy your games on PS2 and Xbox still continues, and I pray for the day when we can reach a similar agreement on those consoles.

Respectfully,
Clyde Arrowny.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2003, 05:02:33 PM »

Rush is the only series Midway has the rights to that is worth any of my money...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2003, 05:15:03 PM »
I also took the time to write them an email

omg hi midway!

u guyz suk coz u dun support teh cube ver much

plz bring lotz more gamez 2 cube so nintendo cn sel more consolez

an so i cn by ur awsome gamez

from mario kthxbi

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2003, 07:10:55 PM »
Hehehe what they really meant by "leading consoles", is the consoles that foolishly buy there crappy games; since xbox and gamecube are too close together to say that xbox is ahead of gamecube, or vice-versa.

What i dont get is why dont they just cancel everything, i mean whats so great about blitz anyway?! I'd rather play Madden  
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2003, 08:29:22 PM »
Umm..Burnout is made by Acclaim Berto.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2003, 09:38:41 PM »
I've always liked Midway games, although I don't buy them because of the low replay value.  They're usually a lot of fun for a few days though at least.  MKA, I played quite a bit... MK is probably the only Midway game that I like a lot, enough to buy.  Their arcade games are usually fun too... like that Grid Wars or whatever that's been out a while.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2003, 10:52:02 PM »
Yeah, too bad they stopped supporting the arcades too huh?  Apparently they weren't a "leading platform" either.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2003, 02:21:03 AM »
Eh, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or whatnot, Dan, but as I understand the arcade isn't very profitable at all and pretty much everyone has stopped supporting it save for Sega and Namco.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 03:08:34 AM »
Those letters to Midway were great (and hilarious)!  More people should write.  

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2003, 04:21:38 AM »
Oops, guess that won't make it look too good to them will it.  Oh well.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2003, 06:04:21 AM »
"Of course, Burnout 2 didn't sell well one the Cube because Acclaim didn't friggin ship any- it's almost as if they wanted it to sell bad. My EB still hasn't gotten their delivery."

We have a few copies around where I live.  Maybe I should get to some Ebaying.

"There will probably be no more Midway titles in my collection from now on."

Wow, I said that to myself like in 1995.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2003, 07:26:46 AM »
I would love to see what the reactions of these developers would be if for some reason Nintendo has the leading platform next gen. The stupidity of Sega's executives must have influenced a lot of western developers--many seem to have adopted a similar cluelessness of the present and future direction of the industry.

Nintendo needs more western support, but not from the likes of these fools. I'm hoping we will see more arrangements like the one with N-Space for Geist. There are lot of struggling developers making crap for these publishers who would love to get their pet projects of the ground. Nintendo might be better off going directly to these developers and completely ignoring the idiocy of the publishers.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2003, 08:38:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq
There can never be enough blood

a bloody picture
That is way too much blood.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2003, 08:48:34 AM »
Midway cancelling, too funny, I won't miss them.

So far the only company I miss that has left the Cube is Sega Sports, I really wanted to buy their 2004 hockey.  Oh well as soon as Sega's 2003 gets cheap I will buy that one.

Midway leaving=no loss

Still sucks to be have any company not supporting your console as it begins to create a negative image as a losing console in companies and publics perspective.  Not a good sign for Nintendo, but they still have my support.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2003, 09:52:35 AM »
i cant believe how people just continue to write off third partys dropping support for gamecube as a good thing, regardless of the quality of the games. i'm not a fan of midway either, but its never a good thing for games to be cancelled for gamecube when they are still coming to both the other systems. casual gamers will probably eat this game up.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2003, 09:58:49 AM »
Third parties dropping the Cube isn't a good thing.  But I've just gotten so tired of crappy third parties who release crap games, or release buggy ports of PS2 games, or release their Cube games months after the PS2 and Xbox versions blaming Nintendo and the Cube userbase for low sales when it's THEIR own fault the game sold poorly.  So I've now got a "good riddance" attitude to the whole situation.  I'd rather support a console with less third party support than a console where crap sells.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2003, 10:52:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Gup

Originally posted by: Rhoq
There can never be enough blood

a bloody picture
That is way too much blood.

What? As I said before, there can never be too much blood. That screen shot looks awesome.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2003, 02:53:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
 I'd rather support a console with less third party support than a console where crap sells.

while i agree with you, i think the problem is that 95% of gamers dont. i'm not saying that people want to play crappy games, they just dont know any better. a casual gamer walks in, sees all the titles on both ps2 and xbox but not on gamecube and it will affect their decision of what console to buy. personaly, i've come to the conclusion that outside of nintendos existing fans, noone cares about nintendos first party titles enough to base a system purchase on them. i hate to say that, but its just what i have seen and experienced.

recently i was talking with one of my friends who mentioned he was thinking about buying an xbox. i said that while theres some good games, i reminded him that the gamecube recently had a price drop and was a great buy. his reply? "the games arent adult oriented enough". nothing i could say could change his opinion of that. games like the suffering would continue to help nintendo shake that image, but now its just one more reason for people to buy a ps2 or an xbox.  

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2003, 03:28:59 PM »
That screenie looked like a guy that was sweating blood from running away from a narcotics seringe zombie
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2003, 06:27:29 PM »
I'll play it on my pc...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2003, 07:02:35 PM »
I'm not ticked about losing crapy games like this.  I am ticked I don't get games like Castlevania, GTA, Contra, or Shadowman 2.  I like dark games, but Midway sucks and I don't even rent their games anymore.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg