Author Topic: Help/Question about Wii U audio  (Read 5958 times)

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Help/Question about Wii U audio
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
I plan on getting a Wii U sometime in the future and I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to my computer monitor. It has an HDMI, DVI, and VGA input but no RCA audio out, only a headphone jack. I plan on getting the PDP Afterglow headset for audio as well as some external speakers. For the headset I would like to get it hooked up directly to the Wii U audio because I would expect they wouldn't work as well coming from the headphone jack.

My main question is: can you have both the HDMI and original RCA Wii cables working from the system at the same time? If so, I would be able to run HDMI to my monitor and RCA audio to the headset. I would like to know if this works before getting a splitter or something.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help/Question about Wii U audio
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
I plan on getting a Wii U sometime in the future and I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to my computer monitor. It has an HDMI, DVI, and VGA input but no RCA audio out, only a headphone jack. I plan on getting the PDP Afterglow headset for audio as well as some external speakers. For the headset I would like to get it hooked up directly to the Wii U audio because I would expect they wouldn't work as well coming from the headphone jack.

My main question is: can you have both the HDMI and original RCA Wii cables working from the system at the same time? If so, I would be able to run HDMI to my monitor and RCA audio to the headset. I would like to know if this works before getting a splitter or something.

From what I've read, it is not possible to have dual output.

HDMI to your monitor and connecting the external speakers to the headphone jack would be the best way to go since it is carrying the pure digital audio stream directly from the Wii U. Using the RCA cable would actually be a downgrade to 2-channel analog. The headset can be connected to the Wii U's GamePad.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
Yeah just plug speakers into the 3.5mm output on your monitor, that's the easiest solution. It really depends on what's inside your monitor as for how the audio sounds in the end, but this would be a very simple solution.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
Here's something I did with my Xbox 360 when I wanted to connect it to my monitor.

Connected Xbox via HDMI, then connected the 3.5mm audio jack (headphone jack) from the monitor to the audio-in on my PC. Turn on my PC and set it so that whatever sound is coming in then comes out the PC speakers.

Of course your computer will need to be on for this to even work, assuming you have a computer and you're not typing this from an iPhone. Also whatever system sounds you hear from your computer like new e-mail alerts will still be heard when you're on the Wii U.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:52:52 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
If you're going use "headphones" then you're going have to plug them into the 3.5 jack that's on the gamepad itself if you're planning on using the mic anyhow.

As for your main speaker setup since you have an headphone output jack on your monitor you can buy one of these cables in case you reciever doesn't have have an 3.5mm input.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Mini-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B0032JAG4G/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354591304&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=3.5+mm+auduo+to+rca

Fairly cheap but they work.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:30 AM »
I don't think he's using a receiver, just powered speakers. I have some badass Altec lansing desktop speakers at work, I got them for like $70 (on sale from $180 or so) at either Best Buy or CompUSA several years ago. They sound absolutely amazing and have a powered subwoofer for some serious bass. I used to have them in my home office and had one of my 360s hooked up to a 22" monitor via VGA, and the audio going through these speakers and it sounded great, so desktop speakers do have some serious potential for gaming.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
Yeah I just plan on getting some desktop speakers along with a headset.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
My Wii U is still in the shop, (but its tracking number tells me it's arriving tomorrow)

However,

I'm not sure you'll be 100% happy with your plan to plug in to the gamepad.  That will work for Wii U software, but the Wii U will disable the gamepad for Wii and VC, which I'm guessing will also disable the headphone jack.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
My Wii U is still in the shop, (but its tracking number tells me it's arriving tomorrow)

However,

I'm not sure you'll be 100% happy with your plan to plug in to the gamepad.  That will work for Wii U software, but the Wii U will disable the gamepad for Wii and VC, which I'm guessing will also disable the headphone jack.

He could always go with a 1 male-to-2 female Y cable or a splitter for the headphone output. Both would make two jacks out of the single output. Plug the speaker system in one and the headset in the other.
PEACE--->Rhoq