Author Topic: Wii U Price and Release Date Guess Thread  (Read 66675 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Price and Release Date Guess Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/25/iwata_on_wii_2/
Quote from: April 24, 2011
In its announcement earlier today, Nintendo stated that it had not included sales of the Wii successor in its earnings forecasts for the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2012. You might have guessed that this means a release for the system after that date. This is the case, Iwata confirmed during the press conference. The Wii 2 will not arrive until after April 2012.

I don't know if that is interpretation or a paraphrasing of a direct quote, but I just thought I would throw that out there.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/25/iwata_on_wii_2/
Quote from: April 24, 2011
In its announcement earlier today, Nintendo stated that it had not included sales of the Wii successor in its earnings forecasts for the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2012. You might have guessed that this means a release for the system after that date. This is the case, Iwata confirmed during the press conference. The Wii 2 will not arrive until after April 2012.

I don't know if that is interpretation or a paraphrasing of a direct quote, but I just thought I would throw that out there.
I want the actual quote from Iwata before I put full stock in them.  Nintendo is not big about giving anything on date till you have it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Well, it looks like my guess of April 1st isn't going to happen. But it needs to happen before the Fall of 2012. The Wii is running out of steam and needs to be replaced with something bigger and better ASAP.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
i still stand by my guess, most places i've seen reporting that quote all link to the same source (that link) and as Ceric said I'd rather wait until a direct quote.
I dont see it launching anytime outside of 4th quarter so that leaves 2012 or 2011, and i have a hard time believing nintendo would wait that long. If they said that they were going to have games ready to go in a playable state at e3 then that means that any launch games would be pretty far along.

If im wrong though, no big deal i have a pretty big games backlog right now anyways
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:52:36 PM by Lithium »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »
Does anyone who picked a 2011 date want to revise it?

I would like to, but its cheating! I would now say March 20, 2012

It isn't really cheating because 2011 isn't over yet and it is still possible (but perhaps unlikely) that it will still launch in 2011. Who knows?
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
Bump to remind everyone of the game and if they like to put in something new.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
Well, since no date or price were revealed at this year's E3 I think its safe to conclude its not going to be released any sooner than next year's E3. We'll probably get the full details then.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
$299.99|---> <---|$349.99

I'm somewhere inbetween the 2.
My release date stays the same.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Not changing the price - still think $249.99 with a packin. They'll make a couple of bucks to start off the hardware and the software sales will make up for it.

However, I'm going with November 18, 2012 as the release date.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
November 20th 2012 for $299.99.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Im guessing November 22 2012 at $299.99

The Friday before Black Friday

Wii came out November 19 2006 which was the sunday before black friday

So maybe November 18th if 22nd is wrong

the controller by itself will be $80 that is if its sold separately at all.

I expect 4 screen multi-player to require 3x3DS
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:09:00 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
I'm gonna go back on mine now and say September 23, 2012 -- the day before Labor Day. What better of a weekend to launch?! Get it at midnight, and then spend all day Sunday and Monday playing the crap outta the thing. I also would like to change my price now to $349.99 -- with a pack in game that contains those goofy tech demos Battle/Chase Mii.  If they're smart though, they'll pack in that New Super Mario Bros. Mii game. Would make a TON of sense, and would easily cause the thing to fly off store shelves.

I'd also like to suggest it comes packed in with a single Wii Remote, Nunchuk, and Classic Controller Pro, too. That way, NO EXCUSES for devs.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »
23 is more in line with the n64 launch. Which was released on September 29th.

Wii actually came out in the U.S. first

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
All right, put me down as $299.99 officially. It's a bit of a tough guess between that and $349.99, but since the high price of the 3DS hasn't been working out for them, I don't expect them to charge too much for this system.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
oh well looks like my guess was wrong. definately going to be q4 2012, in fact everything in my guess stays the same except for the year

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
The console can't be $299.99. The controller alone is going to cost half that much. If its $299.99 that means we would end up with a $150 console. Judging by the specs, I don't think that's going to be the case, and Nintendo isn't going to sell anything for a loss, so...
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 01:01:41 AM »
What makes you think the controller itself will cost $150? From what I can tell the 3DS is around $100 to manufacture and it has more components in it than the screen controller.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
What makes you think the controller itself will cost $150? From what I can tell the 3DS is around $100 to manufacture and it has more components in it than the screen controller.

Nintendo is selling the 3DS for $150 more than what its worth?
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:49 AM »
What if there were two SKUs fpr this thing that included the Umote for $349.99 and the second one featured an upgraded Wiimote without the Umote for $299.99. I would be game for this if it were to happen.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »
$150 more than the raw materials and manufacture, yeah. There's still other costs to consider, such as advertising and R&D, but it is at the least $50 overpriced. And since the screen controller probably won't contain much in the way of processors or RAM (if any at all), I can't see the materials of it costing very much.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »
The Wii was 100 dollars more than the DS when it was released and the DS had had a price drop by that point... So I will say:

$350 on November 18, 2012. You will get the system, a pack-in title (Perhaps the "Wii U Sports" demo), and the tablet controller. In addition to full backwards compatibility with the Wii library and accessories and access to the online system.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
With the way 3DS sales are going and soon-to-be competition of the aggressively-priced PSPita, I fully expect the 3DS to be down to at least $200 by the time the WiiU launches. Overcharging on the 3DS didn't work out for Nintendo so I don't anticipate they will try that strategy again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2011, 01:42:26 AM »
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20110608182737_Wii_U_Will_Cost_More_Than_249_President_of_Nintendo.html
I surprised it took you so long to find this news considering I posted it this morning...
Time to buy those Nintendo Stocks!!!
Iwata signaled the WiiU will likely be priced at more than 20,000 yen ($250) in Japan when it goes on sale next year, the Nikkei newspaper reported today, citing an interview with the president. Nintendo is unlikely to sell the new console for the same price as the current Wii, the report cited Iwata as saying.

Also sounds like a $299 price point is what they are aiming for.

-----------------

The console can't be $299.99. The controller alone is going to cost half that much. If its $299.99 that means we would end up with a $150 console. Judging by the specs, I don't think that's going to be the case, and Nintendo isn't going to sell anything for a loss, so...

You are trippin' if you think that controller will cost $150. $80 tops and that is with Nintendo making around half that in profit. Supposedly a Wiimote cost Nintendo less than $10. This uScreen controller will probably cost no more than $35-$45 tops.

The 3DS is supposedly only costing Nintendo around $150 or so shipped. That's with R&D, packaging and all that factored in already. I wouldn't overestimate the cost of stuff just because of how much we are asked to pay for it. Nintendo didn't make record profits just because they sold alot of hardware and software. They made those record profits partially because they had a HUGE markup on lots of that Hardware that they were selling. They will make plenty on a uScreen with it being priced around $70-$80 each.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Re: Wii U Price and Release Date Guess Thread
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »