Author Topic: DSi owners' thread  (Read 52565 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
DSi owners' thread
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
Since I hate having pages of pre-release speculation and hype in the same thread as the post release talk I'm starting a new one.

I got mine yesterday, walked into a store around noon and just grabbed one, no waiting or preordering. I picked the white one <insert racism joke here>.

I think I recall rumours about WPA support, it doesn't have that, still limited to WEP. Grabbed the browser, Aquite and Code from DSiWare (took a lot of deliberation to decide on the games, Wario Ware looked too silly and short and I already had WW on the GBA so I didn't want the microgames), the browser is more a novelty I think since you can't even fit one full line of text on the screen and scrolling back and forth just to read one paragraph is tiring and slow.

Aquite has a review over at IGN if you care, it's pretty nice. I'm still triggering combos mostly by accident rather than planning. Code is about at the same level, move numbers around, line them up so you can add some up to 10 and make those disappear, I feel kinda paralyzed at times since many numbers aren't easy to move (they flip over and are only usable when they form a number in the orientation they end up with) and I often merely delete numbers that happen to match up rather than forming my own matches. I guess I need more practice. They seem to be sized like other Art Style and Bit Generations games, each has a limited (delete X blocks, ends faster when you pull combos) and an endless mode, kinda like Tetris A and B style plus different levels that add one color/number each (though in Code you can reach numbers through flipping even before the level spawns them). Code also has a VS and puzzle mode (clear the screen with the fewest moves). There aren't that many puzzles but they're pretty damn hard. The only extra mode Aquite has is the Aquarium mode which seems to have different short cutscenes (various fishes swimming by) that you unlock throughout the game. Overall dealing with Aquite's blocks is easier on the brain and the different musical notes that sound as you play it make it more appealing presentation-wise.

Oh, right, the camera... Using it by hitting the shoulder buttons is fine but thefirst time you start it from the menu you're forced through a goddamn TUTORIAL. About USING THE CAMERA. When everything already has BIG, LABELLED BUTTONS. Who'd guess you activate the outside camera by hitting the "outside" button? Oh and apparently it has a forced always-on click sound, I recall hearing about bullshit like that being introduced because people were worried about strangers photographing their children. Maybe they should keep their children in opaque, airtight bags to prevent any exposure to the outside or propagation of their genes!

I think I'll look for a screen protector soon so I don't end up scratching the screen like I did on my regular DS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: DSi owners' thread
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »
Since I hate having pages of pre-release speculation and hype in the same thread as the post release talk I'm starting a new one.

I got mine yesterday, walked into a store around noon and just grabbed one, no waiting or preordering. I picked the white one <because the black ones don't work when you want them to, the browns ones were cheaper but are only in spanish and the yellow would be great but they play games for every system except DS/DSi>.

I think I recall blah blah blah...
<how is that?>
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:15:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
Am I missing something?  We can only download DSiWare titles to the system, we can only copy/delete them (we can't "move" them) to an SD card AND they cannot be played from the SD card?

Nintendo, did you not learn anything from WiiWare?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:09:03 AM »
Am I missing something?  We can only download DSiWare titles to the system, we can only copy/delete them (we can't "move" them) to an SD card AND they cannot be played from the SD card?

Are you getting that from KDR's impressions? He is talking about one of the games specific mechanics.

Does it look like it is selling out. I ended up getting a good chunk of money for my birthday so i may run out and get one depending on how much is in my last paycheck sitting at my old job.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:50:58 AM »

Yeah, I guess they should think about that again. Then again I don't have an SD card for the system yet and the software so far is about 90 blocks each with a system memory of ~1000 blocks so that's still pretty far off.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »
Are you getting that from KDR's impressions? He is talking about one of the games specific mechanics.

No, I picked mine up last night (this morning?) and I'm not seeing the ability to do that anywhere...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
Are you freaking kidding me?  How much internal memory does it have?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
I think 256MB.

I bought it at a totally dead midnight launch at Game Crazy. I haven't opened it yet. I'm dropping by Best Buy to pick up some screen shields.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
Adrock: BestSkinsEver.com  Trust me.  You won't be disappointed. :)

My store's Midnight release was dead as well.  Dead as in I was the only one there....

...for 12 frickin' hours.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
just ran out to best buy and got mine, still had a few there. glad they had the black, was doing the whole "so if they only have the blue am i getting one" debate all the way there.

forgot the screen protectors, will get those soon. considering i am jumping from my phat to this, it is nice. though i still have the phat for FF4-5-6 and emerald.

and you never know when you'll NEED two ds's.

-j

Offline Shredder5655

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »
I wouldn't mind the lack of GBA slot, IF, and only IF, Nintendo allowed a sort of 'multi-cart' exchange, or download exchange.

In otherwords:

Multi-Cart- Send in your old games, and have them burned onto a DS card for the cost of one game.    Depending on how many can fit.

Download exchange - Nintendo puts their entire GBC, GBA and GB library on file for download.  No waiting like the Virtual Console on the wii.  You find your game, place an order, boom, instant.  Recycle old cartridges..

I'm going to have to wait till the check comes in this week to get one.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »

No, I picked mine up last night (this morning?) and I'm not seeing the ability to do that anywhere...

I suppose you tried what happens when you put software on the SD card and don't have it in the system memory? The manual mentions that having an SDHC card in the system can slow down the bootup so there's probably at least some loading going on.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »

I'm guessing that SD Card functionality could be added via a future firmware update. It certainly wasn't a part of the new firmware I downloaded for the DSi after getting it set-up on my network.  :'(
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
Ok, so I got the Rocketfish screen protectors because they were the ones that Best Buy had next to the DSi's.

They are trash.

i should have thought better when I opened them and there were no directions. not that screen protection application is a terribly complicated matter, but it is a detail i would expect with a good product.

they have two stickers on them, one to help pull off the backing, and the other, which sits on the front of the protector, to help you move it around. so i get the first one on and down and go to pull that sticker off.

oh parts of it came off just fine. but the goo that lives under a sticker, not that. i now have this area on both screans convered in that good that i've been spending the better part of an hour trying to get off.

if i wasn't going on a trip first thing in the morning i'd rip them off and get a good set.

trash, i say. trash.

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »
oh parts of it came off just fine. but the goo that lives under a sticker, not that. i now have this area on both screans convered in that good that i've been spending the better part of an hour trying to get off.
I learned this the hard way yesterday. I ended up using lemon juice on it. DO NOT USE ACETONE on your DS/DSi screens! I even got that stuff on the outside of my DSi...I am really not a fan of matte finish.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
Looks like I'll be returning those Rocket Fish screen shields tomorrow......

I almost didn't buy them, but the only other ones at Best Buy were the official Nintendo screen shields that came with a bunch of other crap I didn't want and/or want to pay for.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 08:50:29 AM »
I picked up my DSi yesterday, but didn't have any time to mess around with it.  I downloaded the free web browser and got my free 1000 DSi points.  Then, I linked my system to my Club Nintendo account.  I went to the Club Nintendo site and realized that I hadn't uploaded any of my codes or taken any surveys yet.

One hour and a bunch of clicking later, I'm an "elite" level member and am wondering what to spend my new found 1,100 coins on.  :)

I'm definitely interested in some screen protectors and an SD card.  Any suggestions?
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:53 AM »
Screen Protectors

They're great!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:24:57 AM »
Adrock: BestSkinsEver.com  Trust me.  You won't be disappointed. :)

My store's Midnight release was dead as well.  Dead as in I was the only one there....

...for 12 frickin' hours.

LOL i was with you in spirit bob-o! i had numerous tequila shots in your honor too!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »
LOL i was with you in spirit bob-o! i had numerous tequila shots in your honor of having numerous tequila shots.

Fixed. :)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 09:49:34 AM »
LOL i was with you in spirit bob-o! i had numerous tequila shots in your honor of having numerous tequila shots.

Fixed. :)

the sad part is that its true.. i was almost gonna drunk dial you but after 10 shots, i wasn't drunk yet...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
I would like to point out that even though the system memory on the DSi is 256 megs in size, you only have control over 128 megs. The files systems uses the same format as the Wii, in that 8 blocks equal 1 meg, and 1 block is equal to 128k.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
Screen Protectors

They're great!

According to that site, just the screens set is $5.99, so the price seems fair.  I'd assume these protectors don't get a bunch of sticky crap all over the screen, right?  Also, how long do they last?  It looks as though ordering three skins makes the shipping free, but would I even need three?

I'll take your word on this one and I better not be disappointed!  :P 
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
I plan on doing a video review of the best skins ever set when I get my DSi.  Hopefully i'll have it on the site by the end of the week assuming i get my crystal chronicles review and outstanding VC recs done.

Eesh, I'm behind.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »
Do the screens seem noticeably larger?