Author Topic: Excitebots:Trick Racing!  (Read 98790 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Excitebots:Trick Racing!
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
Weird, just called Blockbuster and they do not have it in, nor any plans to order any.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Back on topic, does EB:TR come out today? I'm already having a crappy day at work and thinking about calling out tomorrow just because, so i might end up picking this game up and playing it into the night. I'll post my FC up if thats the case, though i might have trouble getting online initially..

Ships today.  GameStop should have it tomorrow sometime.  I think Target is advertising it will have the game by 4:00 PM.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
FYI, we don't have a review copy yet and I don't think many other outlets do but I'm not sure.

I don't know what that means for availability, but it's kind of strange.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
FYI, we don't have a review copy yet and I don't think many other outlets do but I'm not sure.

That usually equates to a publisher knowing the game is bad and will review poorly. They hold back review copies until after the game has been available for sale a few days, so the negative reviews don't prevent customers from buying it before reading that it's total crap!
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »

That usually equates to a publisher knowing the game is bad and will review poorly. They hold back review copies until after the game has been available for sale a few days, so the negative reviews don't prevent customers from buying it before reading that it's total crap!

Or it means it is Nintendo and they do it ALL THE TIME. NP gave it an 8/10 and IGN seems like it will give it around that score, I really don't think it being a bad game is the problem.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
They don't do it ALL THE TIME..... :)

But, the last big game I can think this happened to was Prime 3... and that surely wasn't garbage.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »
They don't do it ALL THE TIME..... :)

But, the last big game I can think this happened to was Prime 3... and that surely wasn't garbage.

What about Wario Land: Shake It? Nintendo may just do it for games they deem as "less important" to push. Or perhaps trying to pin Nintendo with any rational thought to some of their actions is useless?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »
Sometimes for whatever reason, review copies get held up at the home base before shipping. Not quite sure why that is. For instance, Dokapon Journey and The Dark Spire have both JUST been put in the mail what, a week late at this point? I called them to make sure everything was ok, and they confirmed that they have just been a little overwhelmed lately and were unable to put together all of the shipping on time.

Plus, Nintendo shouldn't be worried about my review of this game. I am an Excite Truck fanatic, so unless they really screwed the pooch, I doubt it'll be getting a low score :P.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
A disconcerting 7/10 from GamePro from a reviewr who enjoyed the first game stating, "Excite Truck was one of the more overlooked and underrated launch titles for the Nintendo Wii."

Here's my attempt at a "Nega-Review"

I get the feeling playing Excitebots: Trick Racing that the word "no" was never uttered during a feature pitch meeting. Anthropomorphous bugs and animals that can race, run, and fly? In-race minigames dedicated to making sandwiches, collecting butterflies, throwing pies, and kicking field goals?  The controls for most of the tricks are natural enough but the only major issue is the breakneck speed at which obstacles and stunt opportunities are doled out.   Whether you're flipping from bars like a gymnast made of steel, grease, and wheels, or tossing darts at a multitude of targets while blasting by them at high speeds, most of the minigames serve as suitable distractions.

While the insanely-paced races of Excitebots can serve as either a plus or minus depending on how fast you like to go, there are a handful of things that are genuinely annoying. The game isn't easy on the eyes, as the racers and tracks aren't much better looking than Excite Truck did at launch. The music is still god-awful, and you aren't afforded a customizable soundtrack this time around. And while the game has added online multiplayer featuring up to six racers, offline competition is limited to two-player, hardly-extreme splitscreen.

When posting an interview I conducted with the game's developers, my cube-neighbor Patrick Shaw commented that Excitebots: Trick Racing looked like "the tackiest game of all time," which is about the most apt compliment and complaint I can apply to the game. It tries everything, and is maybe a bit too crazy for its own good, but it's definitely unforgettable.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
Ok.....

They added a lot this time around, but have they broken anything? Can I still do a breakneck speed run through a forest full of trees on a gigantic hill then boost off into space while doing spins all the while trying to land on an opponent?

If that mechanic is broken, then I'm sure I'll fun with this game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
When posting an interview I conducted with the game's developers, my cube-neighbor Patrick Shaw commented that Excitebots: Trick Racing looked like "the tackiest game of all time," which is about the most apt compliment and complaint I can apply to the game. It tries everything, and is maybe a bit too crazy for its own good, but it's definitely unforgettable.
Newest entry for PATHETIC gaming media confirmed?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
Newest entry for PATHETIC gaming media confirmed?

Actually I think that's a pretty accurate way to describe it from the videos I've seen.  Its not really a back handed compliment as the developers were obviously going for an outrageous look.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
Someone picked up the game on neogaf, the guy didn't play it but read the manual and here is what he found:

- You can send challenges or replays to Wii Friends
- You can send stars (that you apparently collect?) attached to a replay (freebie) or a challenge (must complete challenge to win stars)

- Online (anyone or w/ friends) you can play Excite Race or Poker Race
- Lobbies for friends, you can see your friends' status, can change bot in the lobby
- Spectator mode for races in progress
- You can bet your stars on races
- Does not appear there is a two-at-once mode online

- Separate minigames mode (?) with 10 games

- Glider mode is indeed triggered by launching off a ramp in leg form
- "Song rail" has you keeping your balance then launching off the end

- Nintendo, not Monster, is responsible for the music
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
It's like getting hit in the face with a squeeky toy hammer?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
I wonder if the lack of SD support was an attempt to help curtail cheating online? Regardless the game's outrageous variety makes me want to play it!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
I have to say, it's pretty sad that this game does not use Wii Speak.  What did they release the peripheral for if even first party games don't use it?
---------------------

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
Does anybody have the game yet?I'm thinking about picking it up today.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »
I have to say, it's pretty sad that this game does not use Wii Speak.  What did they release the peripheral for if even first party games don't use it?

I think they want to promote communication in communication based games for the moment, ala Animal Crossing. Right now, it's a feature of Animal Crossing and not necessarily all games.

Honestly, it doesn't make any sense to me either.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »
Maybe one of the issues is not all developers have a SDK kit for Wii Speak.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Maybe one of the issues is not all developers have a SDK kit for Wii Speak.

I would think Monster would.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
So I got this today beat the school cup.Basically a tutorial.Once you do that you a new cup is unlocked.Also you can play online after that.
I haven't played Excite Trucks yet so I can't compare the two. So far the game is great.It gives me a rush.Its a very fun game.The music is pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:37:06 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
"The music is pretty good."

Don't say that too loud.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »
I haven't played Excite Trucks yet so I can't compare the two.

Really?  You should totally pick it up!  Its only $16.96 at Circuit City.................oh wait.......

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »
Yeah I haven't gotten the original yet. I'll look around for it after I finish this.
Well I got to the Bronze cup and does anybody have any recomendations on what bot I should use for the last 2 tracks on the Bronze Cup?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »
Maxi, can you confirm that there are no control options?