Author Topic: Official DSi Discussion (was: New DS model Details :rumor)  (Read 49458 times)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Re: Official DSi Discussion (was: New DS model Details :rumor)
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »
I had one, but it was stolen a long time ago. My next purchase was the Lite.  Why do you ask?
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
what's the difference between standard SD cards and SDHC one's?
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Spinzilla as far as I can tell SDHC cards hold more info on the card than normal SD cards do.SDHC cards can hold 4 gig to 32 gig cards.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »
what's the difference between standard SD cards and SDHC one's?

There's a different addressing scheme between the two standards while 32GB is the upper limit that exists in retail for SDHC, the theoretical limit of SDHC is 2TB (2048GB) however for SD cards bigger than 32GB they may just call it SDXC.

Edit: I guess the SD card association capped SDHC at 32GB. Officially SDXC is for cards that are: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1 TB and 2 TB.  I've been reading that Panasonic will have 64GB SDXC cards ready this year and it's supposed to have a 5 year life span.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:49:16 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:22 AM »
There's a different addressing scheme between the two standards while 32GB is the upper limit, the theoretical limit of SDHC is 2TB (2048GB).
2TB really? so we won't be needing a new standard for a really really long time?
I didn't know that. Hope they are cheap to incorporate by the time DS2 & Wii2 launch. not 2tb but 20-100gb chips for internal storage.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
I really hope nintendo allows bigger SD card usage on the wii in a firmware update  It'd be nice to have just one BIG SD card that I can store all of my Wii and DSi stuff on. 

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=12752

New rumor that would make me very happy.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
Christ, Spinnzilla you win The best Icon award in my book! Also yes that would please me very much since it seems like the obvious thing to do- it would be a shame if Nintendo do this.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »
The DSi is longer and slimmer than the DS, the buttons felt stiffer too.

How'd the D-pad compare to both the original and the Lite?  I never liked the D-pad on the Lite (it's one of the primary reasons I still use my original DS).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
The DSi is longer and slimmer than the DS, the buttons felt stiffer too.

How'd the D-pad compare to both the original and the Lite?  I never liked the D-pad on the Lite (it's one of the primary reasons I still use my original DS).

There wasn't anything surprisingly different or significant about the D Pad. Actually I be they made it a little bigger to match the proportions of the DSi, but it felt fine and I couldn't tell while playing. The buttons felt like pushing on Skittles- not round on the top, but they felt like they had the same thickness.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »
I just remembered that the shoulder buttons on the DSi are strong- It felt like I wasn't actually pressing them- they barely moved, but they worked just as they should. I guess it felt more solid unlike how the shoulder buttons on the DS feel sort of separate from the body and press inward on the corners.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7007

Okay, now the GB/GBA download thing has apparently been confirmed for Japan, but not offically NA. 

and it won't run strait off the SD.  Bummer, but not a big one though.

Still don't know the reliability of the site...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »
http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7007

Okay, now the GB/GBA download thing has apparently been confirmed for Japan, but not offically NA. 

and it won't run strait off the SD.  Bummer, but not a big one though.

Still don't know the reliability of the site...

If you read the edited notes Nintendo told them to clarify that it is only announced for Japan right now.
I'll bet that was going to be some of NoA's thunder for GDC and E3 and this undercut their planned announcement. A lot of sights are reporting similar things so the cats out of the bag.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47092.html
 A bit of footage showing the DSi and some DSi games and Rhythm Heaven.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:06:50 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
That video made me want a DSi...and Rythm Heaven.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
I don't really trust word of mouth rumors, but a Gamestop manager, who's pretty well researched told me two interesting things today.  Someone let me know if they've heard anything like this.

First of all: Nintendo will begin making their own large capaticy SD cards (hopefully cheaper ;P)

Second: Some DSiware games will be playable on the wii via SD card, if the interface is similar.

The first seems pretty much a give in but the second...I have no idea.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »
So after getting my hands on the new DSi I must say what a difference little changes make.

1)The Cameras for picture taking and such are pretty useless, and the little mini editing you can do is not interesting enough to play with.  I asked to see if it can at least display images from other cameras, and it couldn't.  It may be a problem with Folders I am not sure, but it wasn't that nice honestly. 

2)The Music Players was pretty nice.  Fold up the system and it will play in your pocket.  The Visualizer are fun specially the Mario one.  Which allows you to jump and collect coins as Mario.  This could have been made better by allowing Mario go get big and such...but oh well. 

I am curious if you can store your music into separate folders and it find them ok.  If so then this would be a pretty great music player honestly.  I also didn't see if it can select and play songs randomly, but I don't see why it couldn't.

The system is easier to hold, but will probably still cause crammed fingers in games like Mario Kart...if you play long sessions, but I feel it is much more comfortable for larger hands.  The buttons and D-PAD feel much better.  Very sturdy and just overall better feel than the DS.  The D-Pad felt great as well.

The touch screen didn't feel any different.  The larger size does make it easier to play games, but the feel of the stylus and interact with the screen felt the same.  Which is good but not great. 

Overall, I felt that it is a very worthy improvement over the DS.  Small things that really add up for the system, makes this update just as substantial as the DS lite upgrade.  I really think this has a huge potential.

Now minor things that made me sad.

1)The power adapter isn't global, so you need to keep that in mind.  It is only 120V.
2)I asked about downloading from the American DSi store in other countries and the representative didn't know the answer and just guessed yet.

Hmmm...Not really what I wanted to here.  I want to know Yes or No definitive not just a guess.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »
2)I asked about downloading from the American DSi store in other countries and the representative didn't know the answer and just guessed yet.

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed several months ago that DSiWare stuff is region locked. So North American DSi's will only be able to download from the North American store, Japanese DSi's from the DSi store,etc.

If you mean your physical location, I see no problem. I know several people online who I am friends with live in the US and have a Japanese Wii, they have no problem downloading from the Japanese Wii Shop Channel.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
Yes I knew it was region locked, you just answered my questions about the Japanese Wii store, so if it is the same then I shouldn't have a problem. 

Also, I know what theFleece is talking about with the shoulder buttons.  All the buttons feel stiffer, on the new DSi, even the D-PAD.  It feels like there is less movement to press the buttons, it feels really nice, but it does take getting used to.  It felt like the buttons were "sunk" into the shell of the DSi more.  Obviously, they aren't because you still have the raised buttons and D-Pad, but that is what it felt like.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
Spak, when you say the buttons and the D-pad feel better are you comparing it to the original DS or the DS Lite?  Part of the reason I never bought a Lite was because I didn't really like the D-Pad change they made.  I like the "clickiness" of the original model.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »
I don't remember the original DS D-Pad.  But this feels different from the DS lite.

I believe it is probably going the wrong direction for you.  It feels less Clicky than the DS lite, it just feels all the buttons do not need to be pushed as far down, and as such they are not as "springy."

Honestly, I thought the buttons felt better, but I didn't get a chance to play a heavy button intense game on the system.  I wish I did, because I could give you better information, but I did not.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
I guess I'm going to wait until I see a DSi in the wild before I buy one.  The original DS's buttons were "clicky" and felt great.  The DS Lite's buttons were "mushy" and I didn't like them very much (although, to be fair I've only tried a DSL a few times for only a couple minutes each time).

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Man, I feel like such a Nintenwhore. I gave in and pre-ordered a DSi.

I had resisted the charms of DS Lite, but was ready to give in a few months back. Just when I had decided to go for the black & red DSL, Nintendo made the "Spring 2009" DSi announcement and I decided that if I had waited this long to replace my perfectly fine launch day DS with it's younger, way more attractive replacement, then I could wait a few more months for the DSi. LOL
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
Rhoq:  You made the right choice.  Between the DSi and DS lite there is no comparison.  Even if you have several Game Boy Advance games, I say the DSi is just a better place to be. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
1)I understand the DSi Ware downloads are region locked...

You should be able to access the DSi Ware store for the Americas from Korea, as this is an online program.  Please note that the credit card used to purchase Nintendo Points, needs to match the region you are trying to get points from, not the region you are living in.  In this case, a U.S. credit card would be required to purchase U.S. Nintendo Points for your DSi.

2)I notice the power adapter for the American DSi is only compatible with 120V...

If you are going to be in South Korea for a long period of time, you may want to get a South Korean version of the DSi AC Adapter.  As long as it's the official adapter made by Nintendo for use with the systems in South Korea, it will work with your American DSi.  Please note that we don't have release date information for outside the America's, so we don't know what the release date is for the DSi in South Korea.  You would likely need to wait until you are in South Korea to find this adapter to purchase.  Your other option would be a step-up or step-down transformer, which are available at most electronics or travel stores.

Nice answers from anyone traveling abroad with a Nintendo DSi.  It isn't really an exclusive for NWR boards, but I think it is nice information.

Another answer from the tech forums at Nintendo for the first question...alittle more detail.

Hello,

Just like the Wii Shop, the region is tied to where your system was designed to be used. So for example, if you purchased a North American Wii, and you took it to Europe, it would still access the North American Wii Shop and only accept North American currency.

As you might imagine, this can be a problem if someone accidentally (or perhaps intentionally) purchases a system from another country, brings it back home, and then tries to purchase content online. Whoops.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:36:34 PM by Spak-Spang »