Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 46769 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Little Big Planet
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:58 PM »
Picked it up today...had a lot of fun until we realized that in order for my fiancees scores to be recorded we had to create a second account on my PS3 for her.... which then meant that she couldn't use the Nariko costume. LAME.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2008, 06:27:55 PM »
Are you really playing the levels for points? The only reason to get points with this game is for the 4 trophies (2X, 8X, 20X, 1 MILLION points), and you can easily get them from a couple of online levels that were created just for those 4 trophies plus the speed and height trophies. I'm playing this game just for the platforming, the very few puzzle elements, the customization, the collecting. Even online I've found some levels that are great.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
LBP has the potential to become the greatest platforming game, ever. Some of the user created content is mind-blowing. The creativity, thought and attention to detail people have put into their custom made levels is impressive, and this is only week one into the game.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:57 AM »
I'm loving it so far as well, I just hope they release a patch or some DLC to give Sackboy some new moves as well as the option to change his jumping and landing mechanics.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »
They've already said that they're going to patch it to mess around with the physics.  Even one of the Media Molecule guys admitted that the jumping and moving between planes isn't as good as it should be.

Anybody read the CrispyGamer review?  It was negative, but brought up some good points.  The guy likened it to a "FrankenGame" with no real overarching point, like "Save the Princess" for instance.  He said that it felt "cobbled together".  Anybody have thoughts on this point of view?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
They've already said that they're going to patch it to mess around with the physics.  Even one of the Media Molecule guys admitted that the jumping and moving between planes isn't as good as it should be.

Anybody read the CrispyGamer review?  It was negative, but brought up some good points.  The guy likened it to a "FrankenGame" with no real overarching point, like "Save the Princess" for instance.  He said that it felt "cobbled together".  Anybody have thoughts on this point of view?

Well I played the game for a bit and it is a great game but most of the user created levels are lamely designed IMO. Many seem designed around precision jumping and with the floaty jumping physics that is a big no-no.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:45 PM »

Interesting take, I'll have to read through it today when I've got some time.  After spending a few hours with it myself its still too early to make any cohesive judgement, but thus far, absolutely no regrets in the purchase.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
I figured out how to get other profiles your DLC on your PS3.  You have to start the game up as them and then it's there.  If you never start the game as them they don't have it.  Pretty strange.  You MAY have to redownload the file and install it as them, but I don't think so... So here are the steps.

1. Go to the downloads list in the playstation store and redownload the DLC, quickly pressing the "Perform in Background" button so that it doesn't auto-install it. ***
2. Create your extra PS3 system profile for the new player.
3. Switch to that new profile.
4. Install the DLC as that new profile. ***
5. Start up the game as that new profile.
6. Play long enough to get to the pod.
7. Confirm DLC is in the game.
8. Quit.
9. Switch back to primary profile.
10. Choose that new profile when the second player connects, all DLC should be present.

*** These steps may not actually be necessary.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »
Prices for DLC have been announced.

Special event / community costumes (eg Spaceboy etc) = Free
Normal costumes = $1
'Premium' costumes (eg Solid Snake) = $2
LBP DLC Details

Can't say I'll get any of these, especially because the prices will probably double for the AUS store. I'd be more interested in the briefly mentioned popit expansions, for materials etc.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »
That's extremely disappointing.  Can't say I'll be able to rationalize spending a buck on a new outfit.  So did none hit the store today?
---------------------

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:44 AM »
Ah I'm pretty sure that the Spaceboy and Pumpkin costumes are up on the JP store. Apparently they are not compatible with US copies of the game though. I think NA/AU/EU stores will all be getting content on 6th as that is the date when it comes out both here and in EU. I'm not sure why you guys ahve to wait.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »

Well I read the review last night, and I definitely agree with a lot of the criticisms like sketchy controls, collectathons, lives system, and the overall game lacking a driving focus and feeling a bit slapped together.  But, I disagree with him in the magnitude of these faults.  To declare "Fry It" upon these short comings is a bit absurd to say the least.  If nothing else, its at least worth a rental for those that know they won't be able to commit the time to level construction or trying out all the user made content.  The visuals alone, make it a game every PS3 owner should at least experience on some level.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:49:42 AM by D_Average »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
I can't wait to make my sackboy gear himself up with that cosmonaut suit, and I'm glad it's free because i don't think I will be spending any money on extra suits.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
D_Average  The visuals alone, make it a game every PS3 owner should at least experience on some level.

Unless you feel visuals aren't what makes a game good, of course.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:04:57 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
My fiancee and I actually died on a level three times in a row before moving on to something different for a while.  I didn't expect to actually get some legitimate difficulty, and I was quite pleasantly surprised.
---------------------

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »
I think it's at least a must-rent.  However, if you have kids, the second they see it it'll probably be a must-buy.

I commend what Media Molecule has done here, though.  Much like Nintendo is seeding the next generation of video game fans by making content that's accessible to everyone (kids especially), MM is seeding the next generation of game designers by giving them such a robust toolkit to play around with (that's wrapped in an accessible package).  Most people probably won't touch the level editor, but there will be a few kids out there that will fall in love with designing their own levels, and they'll probably be making the games we play 10 or 15 years down the line.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I still wonder how well the game will sell. Personally I hope it sells well because it is a fabulous step in the right direction when it comes to level design (though some of those users who create levels need to be slapped for creating stages with precision jumping). Also I would like to see more variety in creature design.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
I want a  "Little Bionic Sackboy" , complete with the robotic arm.  Now that is some DLC I would PAY for!!

Or even a "Devin Hester" costume, with some cleats to prevent the constant slipping.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »
Finished the game. Even though I'm over 75% of collectibles and far from really have finished the game, I'm going to start playing with the create mode. All the tutorials that I was allowed to do (I didn't get the trophy for having done all tutorials) were quite easy to understand and replicate, and I think that what's more overwhelming about the create mode is not the amount of tools and items to be used, but I think the overwhelming sense comes from the fact that creating is so much harder and everything has to be planned and then tested. I guess I will come up with a few basic levels with my tinkering.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
Finished the game. Even though I'm over 75% of collectibles and far from really have finished the game, I'm going to start playing with the create mode. All the tutorials that I was allowed to do (I didn't get the trophy for having done all tutorials) were quite easy to understand and replicate, and I think that what's more overwhelming about the create mode is not the amount of tools and items to be used, but I think the overwhelming sense comes from the fact that creating is so much harder and everything has to be planned and then tested. I guess I will come up with a few basic levels with my tinkering.

How long would you estimate it took you to "beat" it?  I'm getting completely owned by the dynamite boss.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »
I honestly have no idea. I would say that it can be beat under 10 hours if not even less, but I probably put in almost 15 hours considering the many times I replayed levels and mini-games to collect prize bubbles.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »
If you guys haven't played it already, here is one remake level definately worth your time:
http://kotaku.com/5074951/littlebigplanet-as-a-shmup

Just search "RR3000" and it should pop up.

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »
Costumes are up on the AUS store, prices are extreme:

Spacesuit, Pumpkin head = free
Motorstorm = A$3.45
Rare week 1 Tshirt = A$8.45

Haha, the 'rare' tshirt looks like crap.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
The space suit has one flaw. The visor should have been transparent.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
Anyone get the feeling lately the game was REALLY delayed to fix the servers......   ;)