Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 463190 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
So Lucas is like Ness, but not like Ness....... what the hell? Why not just give Lucas a different moveset? I'd rather have both characters in the game.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: thatguy
I don't know, don't count him out until we've unlocked everything!

Well, read Sakurai's post before showing off the moves:

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now...

Sounds like his fate is sealed.

Anyway, I would be a lot more hopeful if Lucas had different special moves, even if his smash attacks are different... but they are the same except with a face lift on a few of them.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
I saw it, but I'm still not counting him out.  In fact, if there's any character that could be in through a costume change, this time, it could really be Ness!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I'm hoping this means that Ness has a move set that actually reflects that from his game, but I'm not holding my breath anymore... =\
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I remember reading that Lucas was supposed to be in both the original and Melee, but was replaced by Ness twice because Nintendo kept delaying Mother 3.

I feel cheated out of newcomer since Lucas is basically the cookiecutter sequel to Ness. What's the point of replacing Ness with Lucas?  That's reverse logic.

I suppose Ness could still make it in, but it's not looking very likely.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Adrock
I remember reading that Lucas was supposed to be in both the original and Melee, but was replaced by Ness twice because Nintendo kept delaying Mother 3.

I feel cheated out of newcomer since Lucas is basically the cookiecutter sequel to Ness. What's the point of replacing Ness with Lucas?  That's reverse logic.

Howso?  Sakurai finally gets to put the character that he wanted all along in the game.  If anything, Ness was the "cookiecutter" replacement for Lucas and now you're getting the real deal.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Rush makes more sense as a possible Up+B or Over+B move...

And I hope they limit the amount of 3rd party stuff in the game, because they ARE guest characters after all...

Rush??  Hah!  More like Mega Man X playable and Zero as an assist trophy.... 8 bit will get the shaft, yeah you know it'll happen...

I am one of the biggest supporters of Mega Man in Brawl...but if Classic Mega Man gets the shaft I don't want Mega Crap in my Brawl.

Alternate Costumes is ok for Mega Man X and Zero...but Classic better be in there.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Wow.  Ness and Lucas have similar moves, but really they play drastically different.  Ness couldn't freeze anyone with his attack.  And his PK Thunder does not react the same way as NESS'

I say Ness is destined to be an unlockable secret character.  I mean, its not like they have to update his character model from Melee, but they probably will a little.  His moves are solid, and balanced...he is still going to be in the game.  

I think Sakurai worded the Ness comment as an indication that he existed in the other franchises and not that he was out completely of Brawl.  I think you can read that sentence two different ways.  And having Ness unlockable brings back the feeling of unlocking him in the first Smash Bros.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yeah, I hope Ness is in there with a move set that is more in line with his game even though I never know it.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
My heart, she is broken. T_T
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Rope Snaaaaake!
« Reply #2261 on: November 08, 2007, 03:21:50 AM »
The one thing really going for Ness right now is that it doesn't make any sense to just have one Mother character in the game, considering its popularity in Japan...And I don't really see a character like Paula or Kumatora getting that spot before Ness, so I guess we'll see...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Rope Snaaaaake!
« Reply #2262 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:58 AM »

think Sakurai worded the Ness comment as an indication that he existed in the other franchises and not that he was out completely of Brawl. I think you can read that sentence two different ways. And having Ness unlockable brings back the feeling of unlocking him in the first Smash Bros.

That's how I interpreted Sakurai's comment as well, but I could see how this could be interpreted differently.  I would be more worried about Ness' fate if Sakurai had not chosen to drop his name in Lucas' update.  

Since Lucas' move set has significant differences, I would be very surprised if Ness isn't at least an unlockable character.  After all, the developers are going so above and beyond in trying to include everything in this addition of Smash Brothers.  

Oh, and count me in as one of those hoping that Mega Man will be included as another third party character.  
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 08, 2007, 04:08:40 AM »
A lot of moves from existing characters have been changed around. I don't think this means Ness is guaranteed to be back.

The other nagging feeling I can't shake is that, if Lucas is the 2nd Mother character, why wasn't Ness revealed first?

DK was revealed before Diddy.
Fox was revealed before Krystal.
Kirby was revealed before Dedede.
Marth was...uh oh...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 08, 2007, 05:08:31 AM »
On the topic of third-party characters, does anyone else have any frontrunners?  I was originally hoping for maybe Mega Man, Simon Belmont, or Crono, but I agree that things could get crowded very quickly.

It still seems that there are several franchises mentioned on the composers list on the website that still haven't been revealed.  We still haven't heard anything from Square or Capcom, at the very least.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: November 08, 2007, 05:13:16 AM »

Krystal is in the game?  Did I miss something?

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 08, 2007, 05:17:02 AM »
It sounds like Ness got the axe.  That's depressing it was nice having him in Smash Bros.  They could have Poo or Jeff as a second Mother character.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2267 on: November 08, 2007, 05:17:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Sundoulos

It's one of those rumors with strong evidence. She's most likely in the game. As for playable, who knows?  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Sundoulos

A voice actress had listed Krystal from SSBB on her online website resume but it was recently removed from her list, probably at the request of Nintendo.

She's on Sakurai's list with at least 2 votes so I think that pretty much suggests playable.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 08, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »
She could be really interesting, that pole thing could give her a really unique moveset.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 08, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »
Actually if Ness ends up being cut I'd be happy because this way if there's a second Mother character it increases the chance of Flint being playable.

Of course if Ness is gone, then it increases the chance of Marth being cut as well.  

Looks like we'll all just have to wait and see.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 08, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
I think Marth's saving grace is the fact that Ike hasn't ganked any of his moves, as near as we can tell (eruption is somewhat close to Marth's shield breaker, but his Up+B definitely isn't). Also, Ike is a heavy character and is a great deal slower than Marth.

Lucas just has most of Ness' signature moves, especially the PK thunder self-inflicted recovery which was Ness' trademark, if you ask me. If Lucas' forward smash is a bat, then I think it's safe to say it's game over for Ness (at least except as an alt costume for Lucas).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 08, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
Well as I've said, they aren't so much Ness' "signature moves" as they are Paula's...If they WANTED to they could easily rework a more proper Ness move set...That's what I'm hoping at least... =(

"On the topic of third-party characters, does anyone else have any frontrunners?"

Megaman and Geno are the two gimmes, in my opinion...I doubt they'll have more than one playable character from each company, so I think that definitely sets Simon and Crono down a few pegs each...Bomberman is another possibility...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Well as I've said, they aren't so much Ness' "signature moves" as they are Paula's...If they WANTED to they could easily rework a more proper Ness move set...That's what I'm hoping at least... =(

"On the topic of third-party characters, does anyone else have any frontrunners?"

Megaman and Geno are the two gimmes, in my opinion...I doubt they'll have more than one playable character from each company, so I think that definitely sets Simon and Crono down a few pegs each...Bomberman is another possibility...

Bomberman could be really cool if done right with different bomb types.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 08, 2007, 09:51:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I think Marth's saving grace is the fact that Ike hasn't ganked any of his moves, as near as we can tell (eruption is somewhat close to Marth's shield breaker, but his Up+B definitely isn't). Also, Ike is a heavy character and is a great deal slower than Marth.

True, plus there's also the fact that Marth is the star of the upcoming Fire Emblem for the DS which is a remake of FE3.  So that would make Marth a character that is still very current with his series.  In a way then, Marth would then be the Roy of Brawl, being put in to advertise his upcoming game this time.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai