Author Topic: EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?  (Read 53017 times)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2006, 10:50:16 AM »
Guys can we please shut up about the name now. Everything that ever needed to be said has been said times without number.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:21 AM »
Sorry, I keep saying I won't do this anymore then something goads me back into it.

In closing, I hope we see either one or both of the following at E3:

1. A sample of Nintendo's Wii ads.

2. A further explanation regarding the choice of name.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »
SB -- You make me cry for humanity sake....
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
It actually doesn't sound so bad when Nintendo prefaces it - The "Nintendo Wii".  I was flipping by G4 and it sounds good mentioned along side the PS3.  (All the console names rhyme now)  I wouldn't have paid a firm to make me the name, but it just isn't that bad.

But Nintendo doesnt prefaces it, in fact they encourage to just use "wii" in the presentation flash.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem SB -- You make me cry for humanity sake....

Clarify, please...

Do you mean that you're crying because you believe I paint a skewed picture of humanity...

Or because you understand I'm laying down the ugly truth?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

What's the point of talking about sales? Why is there a DS sales thread in the DS forum?

Because at some point consoles became like sports teams for a lot of people, and sales are the stats by which such people decide whether or not their "team" won.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2006, 12:44:40 PM »
The name issue will only go away if the Wii is incredibly successful in North America.  Otherwise it'll always come up as a reason for any shortcomings.  People said we would stop talking about the purple Gamecube but we still do all these years later.  The reason being that the Cube grossly underperformed so the assumption is that the colour contributed to that in some way.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2006, 12:52:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: Requiem SB -- You make me cry for humanity sake....

Clarify, please...

Do you mean that you're crying because you believe I paint a skewed picture of humanity...

Or because you understand I'm laying down the ugly truth?

I think what he means is that you are EXTREMELY negative (perhaps a bit too much?) about this issue and won't stop arguing about it until you get the point accross.

Maybe he thinks that your lack of faith on Nintendo is...disturbing :p .

I admit I've been doing this too. I am still not convinced of the power of the new name, but lord knows I am not severely angry about it. Like I mentioned once, this is one of those ideas that could either make or break the console. Plus, in all honesty, there are many things in my life that warrant my attention and to an extend deserve my depression more than the name of the console.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »
I've said time and again that the name will be fine so long as Nintendo markets the ever loving f*ck out of it and turns it into a household name.

I just have no illusions about what your average gamer/teenager is going to think of the name.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I've said time and again that the name will be fine so long as Nintendo markets the ever loving f*ck out of it and turns it into a household name.

I just have no illusions about what your average gamer/teenager is going to think of the name.

Well then it is perfect - Nintendo is forcing itself ahead of time to market the ever loving mess out of something.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2006, 04:10:27 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
Well then it is perfect - Nintendo is forcing itself ahead of time to market the ever loving mess out of something.

Make no mistake: it's their TV ad campaign which is going to make or break this name.

The gaming community is just a very small piece of the pie (a loud piece, but a small piece).

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

...consoles became like sports teams for a lot of people, and sales are the stats by which such people decide whether or not their "team" won.

This reminds me, I used to live near Virginia Tech, and their mascot was a turkey. And everyone stood up and did the hokey-pokey at half-time.

What I'm getting at is, there's just no way to predict what people will latch onto. You make the assumption, Smash_Brother, that people will feel a certain way about the name because of your intitial bad reaction to it. Who's to say the name will make people feel insecure? What specific connotations does it have? The GameCube was purple - purple is directly associated with women, gays, obnoxious dinosaurs, etc.

...What about Wii? People have made the case that it makes the console sound tiku tiku tiku!  - when actually, the only thing it sounds like a kid's slang word. This may not seem like a big difference, but as I pointed out earlier, what american teenager is going to risk sounding childish himself by latching onto the fact that the name sounds like a children's word, especially when the name is also sounds like the more common 'we'? Teenagers don't make wee-wee jokes, they make sex jokes.

People may dismiss the name, and think it's stupid, at first. But soon it'll be a normal part of everyone's lexicon, and no one will think it's stupid, or consider not buying the console because of the name. And when that happens, that's when the marketing potential kicks in: now you have a name that can make for cool taglines in commercials, that seperates you from the competiton on the shelf, and that makes it easier for non-gamers to remember your name when they hear it. (You made a point about how single syllable names are harder to remember - not sure where that comes from. I, at least, think it's easier to remember 'bass' than it is to remember 'humuhumunukunukuapuaa'.)  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2006, 05:29:24 AM »
I think it'll be mocked, yeah, but so far, the mocking seems to be working out in Nintendo's favor (even Time Magazine playfully joked about it).

They'll probably remember the name, not because it's monosyllabic, but because it's too silly to forget.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
Wandering- I think you may have writen the best argument in the entire discussion.

I 100% agree with you. No matter how much we rant against the name, no matter how much we think the name sucks, no matter how much whining and bitching we do can determine the outcome of this battle.

I've said this before already; neither the Wii haters or the Wii followers can determine the outcome of this. After all, remember when everyone said that the PSP was going to win because it was a good competitor for Nintendo and the DS was too sparkling innovationy to be even considered a serious gaming handheld?

I think this is one of those topics where a lot of people will be proven right and wrong. The best thing to do is to wait and see. And I aim this to ALL of you, even you Smash_Brother.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:35 AM »

The people Nintendo wants to reach with the console will not be caught dead walking into a store and asking for “Wii" within earshot of friends.

Nintendo is aiming at the eight year old boys market? I thought they already had this one.

Pathetic editorial, Rick should drop his hate or leave forever.
Rick what you have to understand is that crap senses of humour and toilet humour beyond age 10 is exclusive to gamers. New gamers could not give a damn.
Just bumping this because I was RIGHT ALL ALONG.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »
You were RIGHT ALL ALONG.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
I was worried that Rick came back. We don't need a repeat of last year.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:10 AM »
What happened last year involving Rick?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »
What happened last year involving Rick?
Go click on his profile and check his last topic.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
Rick is a happy 360 gamer now, so I doubt he'll be back any time soon, if ever.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
Pretty sure that Rick actually conceded this point in his most recent editorial, actually.  For what it's worth.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
Rick's word is worth nothing.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
Ouch.  Kinda harsh, Rab.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:06 AM »
Anyone wondering why gaming isn't as respected as movies or books or whatever simply needs to read this thread.

Embarrassing.

DS was disruptive because of the gameplay that the dual screens offered.

Rick doesn't even know what disruption is. More proof he had no clue what he was talking about.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
It's not like anybody on these forums knew what "disruption" meant in a business sense before reading it on Malstrom's blog, either.  Just like how nobody had heard the phrase "blue ocean" until they read an Iwata Speaks, and now they're business scholars.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog