Author Topic: Nintendo Video  (Read 15658 times)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Nintendo Video
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »
Nintendo Video launched last week and gave us One Teaser video about the service, One movie trailer (Captain America) and two videos of original content Sunday Jog and Dinosaur Office. The service is supposed to just drop new content whenever and that means an older video will be replaced and once it's gone it's gone. I thought we can keep track of how well this feature is a blessing and a curse.
Opening my 3DS this morning I noticed that new content was added to the channel fearing the worst. I've watched Dinosaur Office about ten times already, I don't think it's hilarious, but I do find it funny around the 1:27 mark. I also like the Captain America trailer, but the other two videos I don't care for. Sunday Jog and the preview for Nintendo Video are just bland and I fear more of that on the way.
Anyway the Captain America trailer is gone and it's been replaced with the trailer or The Smurfs trailer. I wonder how often will new content be uploaded and curious if more movie trailers and ads will be available than original content. It would be cool to see something with continuity being uploaded, maybe a mini series or something. We can see game trailers in the eShop so I wonder if they will stay there or if we'll see some come to the channel.
My overall impression is that it can go either way and I hope that Nintendo learned something from launching the Nintendo Channel on the Wii. But with lots of obvious gripes about the lack of Youtube support it seems like they haven't. I'd really like to see the Mortal Kombat Legacy series on the 3DS.

Edit: Something's I'd like are the ability to rate videos and to save them to a Favorites list. That way you can save videos you like. Also real 3D videos. So far only the movie trailers benefited from being in 3D and while you could see al the videos with the 3D off I'd like to see 3D content specifically. I'd like it to not be cheap either as is the case with all the videos so far. None of the videos or movie trailers needed to be viewed in 3D and I'd like something to be dedicated to the media form.
the ability to Like the video content just posts an icon with a link to your Facebook profile. Your friends can't see the video and get little explanation about what the content really is. The link takes you to Nintendo's website where again you can't see any videos and it feels static. If the videos can be watched in 2D then they should at least be presented online for everyone to see.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:25:00 AM by TheFleece »
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo Video
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
Nintendo Video will be updated every week with new content replacing the old, this has been known for a long time actually. I do wish it was different, but it doesn't bother me much.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I thought they were going to be doing them weekly like the eShop, but apparently, they're just updating them whenever (and not all at the same time). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but my 3DS didn't notify me that new content was available; I had to open the application.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:52:18 AM »
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but my 3DS didn't notify me that new content was available; I had to open the application.

You sure about that?  I didn't have an external light (like the blue spotpass light, which always tricks me because at first I think I just got a streetpass, cuz it's the same friggin light just a different color).  But, I noticed that there was a little blue dot on the bottom left corner of the icon for Nintendo Video.  I opened it up, and hey, the Smurfs!
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
I don't know how often it updates... the first time I opened the app before I got a notification of the first two updates, but then I didn't use my 3DS for a couple days and got a notification for the third video (BearShark).
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:22 AM »
The new video, Pizza Quest is hilarious! Pizza jokes are alright, but I like the character's weird enthusiam about pizza is real funny. Also there's some live action footage and a robot. I wouldn't mind another one in the future.

Typed on my 3DS.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
The new video, Pizza Quest is hilarious!

Yes it is.  I think that's also from College Humor?  They pretty much jumped the shark, but for a while there (about 2 years ago, maybe?) they were just incredibly funny, all the time.  I don't know what happened, since creatively, it looks like it's still pretty much the same people.  But they also obviously really like Nintendo, esp.  Jeff Rubin.

Some of my faves, esp. Nintendo related, include:

Goldeneye Stand-Off

Tetris God

The Real Game Genie

Oh, and one of my favorites:  Duck Hunt Dog  (NSFW, a bit)

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
The new video, Pizza Quest is hilarious!

Yes it is.  I think that's also from College Humor?  They pretty much jumped the shark, but for a while there (about 2 years ago, maybe?) they were just incredibly funny, all the time.  I don't know what happened, since creatively, it looks like it's still pretty much the same people.  But they also obviously really like Nintendo, esp.  Jeff Rubin.

Yeah it's from College Humor. I haven't really checked out their videos on my own, but I'll check out the links.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
I remember that Tetris God video.  I would like to state for fact, that is not a video but a documentary on life.   I'm 100% sure the tetris god does that..  For I have experienced such pain first hand.

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
I've enjoyed a few of the videos, but I don't understand why they have to rotate them in and out. If there's a very impressive video you want to share with people, it's a shame it won't be around for that long. I agree that saving videos to your SD card would be a feature worth having.

Offline delebreaub

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • StreetPass WI
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
CollegeHumor is trying out 5 series to be premiered first on the 3DS and then online. Nintendo is then going to pick which one they like the most (which will probably be the one most people don't like) and then that will become a series to be premiered on the 3DS as a regular update. http://bit.ly/pB3ntx

I hope one of the other two yet to premier are better because nothing has grabbed my interest that much. The best ones so far, I think, is either BearShark or Pizza Quest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
Pizza Quest.  Out of all the College Humor ones, I take Pizza Quest.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
I'm guessing that none of the Dorkly bits (the Collegehumor spinoff) will make it?  That would have been hilarious, but I doubt Nintendo would be willing to make fun of its brands that much.  Zelda with a Portal Gun was pretty amusing.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning I saw the update icon on Nintendo Video, but when I checked it nothing had changed. Last night or early this morning rather I saw it again and checked it. All there is a trailer for Glee (UGH) and the What's Nintendo Video video had the "New" label on it, but it's the exact same video. Keeping that one video up makes me lose hope in getting common sense results from Nintendo. We all know or can imagine what Nintendo Video is. You can go up to anyone and say those two words and they will think of Nintendo Videos or Videos on a Nintendo System.
At least Pizza Quest remains and that's what matters to me.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
I think the bottom advertisement on the Nintendo Video Is... was changed. It's the 3D Classic Xevious. Not sure it was that before. I think someone on another forum thought the music in one part of the Pizza Quest video was changed. Meaning the video might have been re-uploaded. Same with the Nintendo Video Is... video.

If that is the case then an "updated" tag should be used instead of "new".

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »
It is annoying that they're re-uploaded nearly every video -- it's a waste of time and bandwidth. I wonder what the deal is.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
Pizza Quest has been removed and replaced with crap... Uh... One is Next Level: Hugs. What is that crap? It really made me uncomfortable because there was only guys hugging, there was one part where a guy and a girl were going to hug, but it didn't happen. Today I saw a music video for Jason Derulo on there and I don't have anything against him or his music, but I could care less. I think I'm going to abandon my hope for this feature.
We keep hearing things about Nintendo learning their lesson about digital media and distribution, but it really seems like they haven't- or they have and they keep wanting to do things their own way regardless about how their fans investors or critics feel about it.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
I downloaded the video app mainly to see the trailers of 3ds games of e3, sadly this is not the case, too bad, this video channel is a good start but still has some major work to be done.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Nintendo did offer all of the 3DS E3 trailers, but only until July 6 or somewhere around there. I made sure to download them all, even of games I have no interest in.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
The high compression they're using kinda kills the 3D effect in many of the cases where it would be most interesting.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
I've only had my 3DS for a short time, but so far Nintendo Video is clearly the most useless application. Giving me the option to download game or movie trailers that showcase the 3D functionality might have been cool... force feeding lame video content that I'm not interested in isn't.

Oh well.  Mii Plaza exceeded expectations with StreetPass mini-games, so I guess that evens things out? Too bad I haven't been able to get a single StreetPass hit so far.
 :-\
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
It is a bit sad to see how poorly they are using the feature.  I would at least think they would put that Nintendo Week thing on it?   That show they do every week on the Wii.   

It would at least make for a more interesting update than the "Nintendo Video is"  Video that they have updated like 3 times on mine so far, and labeled as new each time.

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:55 AM »
I don't know if it was the compression or what, but the 3D on the It Girl music video was terrible.  It looked like it was filmed in 2D with the 3D artificially added afterward.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:43 AM »
There are two new videos up. The first is called Duel and it's not that great so whatever. I hope it gets replaced with something awesome. The Smurfs Trailer has been taken down and in its place is Uyuyui! which is really really good looking. It looks like And Yet It Moves mixed with Katamari Damacy and then mixed with Madworld. It's five minutes of eye candy and I wish there wasn't a stupid ad for Let's Golf 3D, I wish (for once) there was a Facebook Like button instead so I could add something useless to its awesomeness. I'm going to watch it again.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:47 PM »
We need some pokemon, some nintendo game trailers in 3d, not some lame music video.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308