Author Topic: The Best of DSiWare  (Read 39719 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: The Best of DSiWare
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »
It's only 1 Pepsi Cap as well. :)

Two--on average--these days.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »
I bought several of the Art Style games, Pictobits, Base 10 and precipice. I still have 1100 points and 345 blocks and am open to suggestions if anyone wants to make a case for any of the others.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
Dragon Quest Wars is pretty A-grade for DSiWare. Kind of Advance Wars-Lite with Slimes. Quite fun!

ArtStyle: BoxLife is like playing Tetris in reverse. It's addicting.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:37 AM »
Uncle Bob was right, Bird & Beans is awesome. And the Art Style games are very hard, especially because they don't really explain what you're supposed to do.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »
RTFM, most of them even include tutorials.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 04:36:28 AM »
I didn't even realize there were manuals for these games, how do you get to them? BASE 10 has a sort of attract mode demo but there's nothing in precipice.

J.P. Corbran

Offline hylianhero5249

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shogun Gamer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »
My favorite DSiWare game is March of the Minis. My second id Mighty Flip Champs. I haven't downloaded any new games in a while. I need to get some DSi Points. Any recommendations for me?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 04:11:39 AM »
Viking Invasion is decent but the levels are pretty damn long.

I didn't even realize there were manuals for these games, how do you get to them? BASE 10 has a sort of attract mode demo but there's nothing in precipice.

They tend to have a help button somewhere on the main menu, that opens the manual.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
Rise from the grave...!

So it's been almost two years since the thread was active, but why not keep it alive instead of starting a new one. For people who have just purchased a 3DS and are looking to download a few titles, what are the best options from DSiWare/Portable Virtual Console/3DS Ware in 2011?
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
Starship Defense.  It'll own your soul.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
I see someone mentioned Dragon Quest Wars is kind of like Advance Wars. Does anyone have a more in-depth opinion of it?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »
Alpha Bounce.

I don't think DQW is like AW, it's more chess-like in the way it plays out. Very positional and stuff, you cannot afford to lose a single unit, especially in 4 way FFA.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »

5 levels in, and my soul is still intact... Starship Defense is still a good recommendation though. Fun tower defense-style game that has great (simple) aesthetics.

Other games I've picked up and really enjoyed:
1. Donkey Kong (GB Virtual Console) - Always wanted this game back in the day, but never got around to tracking down a copy. For the price it's a fun romp. A bit too easy so far, going into the sixth level.
2. PiCTOBiTS: Art Style - Worth buying just for the awesome chip tunes soundtrack. Not a terribly difficult puzzle game, but lots of room to improve on high scores and fun just to play through.
3. Pop Island Paperfield - At $2 my expectations weren't very high. Probably a good thing because this frantic game isn't very deep. But the fun multiplayer options using Download Play to compete against anyone with a DS/DSi/3DS system really gives the game legs if you have some gaming friends.

So four games for under $20 to hold me over until the Ambassador program kicks in. Not bad!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »

5 levels in, and my soul is still intact... Starship Defense is still a good recommendation though. Fun tower defense-style game that has great (simple) aesthetics.

Give it time.  You haven't even gotten to the meteor and solar flare stages yet.  And are you getting No-SOS Perfects on each level? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
No-SOS Perfect on each of the first 10 levels except number 9 - defeated all the enemies, but used an SOS power to restore health and didn't want to play through again. There is a lot of game left though, and I imagine it only gets tougher. Even the first 10 levels have been entertaining and have wasted more of my day than I care to admit.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
My favorites right now:

1.  Mighty Milky Way -  Incredibly clever, with lots of great environmental puzzly bits.  In it's puzzle construction, the closest comparison I can make is a 2-D cross between Portal and SMG2 levels where you use to little stars that pull you towards them.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the game designer wasn't heavily influenced by those 2 games.   You will never see this on any other platform...I can't imagine how Wayforward can possibly do so.  And the last levels are soul-crushingly hard.  Made worse by the fact that there is almost no help on the internet for the harder levels. 

2.  Chronos Twin - I think everyone pretty much knows about this game, so I won't waste sentences explaining the basic dual screen mechanic.  This is hard.   And just as you'd imagine, it's hard because of the dual screen mechanic.  It's as if if this were a normal single-screen action-platformer, you would think it was of pretty basic or even easy difficulty.  But with 2 screens...oh brother.   I'm finding it best if I hold the 3DS a little farther away from me than usual, so I can sort of see both screens at once, though people who are better multitaskers than I may find this unnecessary.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
I don't think Chronos Twin would be that much easier if it were just one screen. A bit easier, sure, but it would also lose the hook that makes it interesting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
No-SOS Perfect on each of the first 10 levels except number 9 - defeated all the enemies, but used an SOS power to restore health and didn't want to play through again. There is a lot of game left though, and I imagine it only gets tougher. Even the first 10 levels have been entertaining and have wasted more of my day than I care to admit.

How's it going lately? :D

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »
How's it going lately? :D

17 levels done, 16 with No-SOS Perfect clears. Was starting to think things were moving along too easily when a solar flare knocked out half my guns in level 18 and the enemies cleaned my clock. LOL. Finding the right mix of weapons for each level is tough sometimes: there was one in particular that took a few tries until I found out how useful a mines/berserker combo can be for cloaked enemies. Trying some of the SOS powers is also tempting: I'd love to see what happens with the different bounty hunters, but it's usually not worth ruining a run through the level.

Very interested if anyone has recommendations for DSiWare that supports Download Play, similar to Pop Island or Pop Island: Paperfield. We have an older DS Lite at home, so getting multiplayer games that can be shared is a big attraction.

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Shantae: Risky's Revenge yet.  That game is an excellent platformer.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:16 AM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Shantae: Risky's Revenge yet.  That game is an excellent platformer.

You know, I got it at Eshop launch and haven't played it yet.   That, along with Dark Void Zero and Mighty Flip Champs. 

I know Nintendo fans, more than any other, like to complain about not enough games, but seriously, do we really play all the games we get?

For example, if you haven't played all the games mentioned in this thread to completion, do you have any right to complain about the lack of new dl games?

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 01:14:42 AM »
Mighty Milky Way > Mighty Flip Champs

J.P. Corbran