Author Topic: Episode 629: Public Estrangement  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 629: Public Estrangement
« on: June 30, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »

Who needs PR when you can get PE?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/51009/episode-629-public-estrangement

Jon's off this week, so we carry on with just the three of us. Thanks to time zones, Greg has some early impressions of Super Mario Maker 2, which was set to come-out as we finished recording this episode. James has been taking advantage of the Xbox Game Pass upgrade with impressions of Doom, Sea of Thieves, and NHL 19. He's not great at any of the above. Guillaume closes the book on Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and remains indecisive on if he likes it or not.

After the break, we take a stab at a trio of emails. This week we: figure out why Final Fantasy V isn't more of a thing, talk about the legacy of the 3DS, and provide an impromptu RetroActive on The Conduit. Did we replay it? Hell no! You can send us an email here.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 629: Public Estrangement
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
I'm glad Gui's only takeaway from my comments is "this game hates the player so much."

Great episode guys, it's the first I've listened to in a while. Glad to hear the gang's still at it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »
Good stuff guys. Now I need to hear you discuss your favourite chatterpieces from the Xenoblade series, excluding the obvious Mor Ardain soldiers :P . My XC2 faves are from Rex: "'S'a new day everyone!" "And arrived." "I'm all... outta juice".

Xenoblade X had an ultramemorable/ultrabad one from the same voice actress who brought us Fiora that I will neither forget ("don't forget") nor forgive: "Have a biscuit!" Because that is an entirely appropriate comment to make when firing a nuke in an oversized mech.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
As far as visually impressive 3DS games special mention has to be given to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when played on a new 3DS. On a regular 3DS the game has a nice soundtrack, incredible sound design, and a pretty strong 3D effect but the new 3DS offers the game an uncapped framerate that usually hovers around 40ish frames a second (It cannot be overstated how much that little bit of extra fluidity adds to the game) and some rather impressive higher res texture work.

Xenoblade 3D is also really impressive on the 3DS. I mean shocker, the Wii game that launched with character models that looked like they came from an early 3DS game looks pretty decent on a 3DS, especially combined with Xenoblade's sense of scale, but it's honestly still nothing short of impressive.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:15:42 AM »
100% disagree that Rex is the weakest character or uninteresting. I loved rex and his relationship with pyra. Absolutely right to focus on their relationship at the end. Disagree here.

I’ve been listening and trying to catch up so I’ve listened to a lot of episodes in a row. Do you like any games GUI? Lol. Seems like 90% negative and some positive in his play playthroughs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:19:17 AM by Kobeskillz »

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
The game's ending let me down, that's all. The aspect of the story that I liked was neglected. There's no reason for me not to say so.

I assume, since you're catching up, that there's a gap between your listen of 627 and the episodes that came before? I'm not going to relisten to those episodes to check, but on 626 I talked about Sumer and Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle. On 624, Breakforcist Battle and Gunbird 2. These titles weren't perfect and I'm sure I had my gripes, but surely it came through that I enjoyed them.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
The game's ending let me down, that's all. The aspect of the story that I liked was neglected. There's no reason for me not to say so.

I assume, since you're catching up, that there's a gap between your listen of 627 and the episodes that came before? I'm not going to relisten to those episodes to check, but on 626 I talked about Sumer and Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle. On 624, Breakforcist Battle and Gunbird 2. These titles weren't perfect and I'm sure I had my gripes, but surely it came through that I enjoyed them.

Yeah i am catching up for sure and to be fair it did seem you very much enjoyed Gunbird. But listening to a ton of episodes in a row (i was 14 episodes behind) it does highlight somethings more often.

Like if you're negative on a game in one episode then in the next episode your negative again and so on it gets more amplified when you're doing back to back listening. Not attacking you or anything just an observation.

But on the Xenoblade 2 i think is really a matter of opinion and what you're looking for.

I loved loved loved Rex, Pary, Mythra and the gang. All of them were tropes for sure but insanely charming and funny and lovable. The relationship between Rex and Pyra was so heart warming and endearing that i could watch them together for hours and not get tired.

I do understand the wanting more world building but at it's heart the story was and is always about Rex and Pyra and the game appropriately concentrated and ended on them IMO.

Me and my kids still go back to the movie viewer in the game and constantly re watch the cutscenes just because these characters are so good.

I know Rex can come off as cheesy due to his always positive and power of friendship trope but it works and it works so well and you don't always need a dark conflicted character. I'm fine having someone always be positive. He did have some conflict in the sense he was unsure of himself at times and did not want to let his friends down.

Again, troppy? sure but done really well.