Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 367383 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
As for why the Jets got Tebow, the talk is that it was the owner's idea to bring him in, against the objections of the coaching staff. Whether they went to him or McElroy, though, it really shouldn't have taken this long for Sanchez to get benched.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Paying a guy high seven-figures to warm the bench rubs a lot of folks wrong, especially when it's their seven-figures going down the drain.

That said, doubling-down on a bad investment is a stupid idea in and of itself.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
What I find weird about the Jets is that in Sanchez's first two seasons they went to back-to-back conference final games and now they've had two years of missing the playoffs entirely.  But the coach is the same and the general make up of the team appears to be the same.  So why do they suck now?  It isn't like they lost some star player to retirement or free agency.  Did the players just lose their work ethic or what?  I can see fluking to the conference final once but two years in a row?  That doesn't happen, you have to be good to do that.  But now that same team stinks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The Jets are actually still in the playoff race right now, which illustrates just how bad the AFC is this year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
They've actually had a lot of turnover in their roster, similar to how the Colts this year are actually a very different team than last year's beyond just adding Andrew Luck. Just compare their 2012 roster to their 2010 roster to see what I mean. I'm guessing that key members of the coaching staff/front office also got poached by other teams, too.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
The Jets are actually still in the playoff race right now, which illustrates just how bad the AFC is this year.

The only chance the Jets have of making the playoffs is if they win both of their remaining games AND the Bengals lose both of their remaining games. If the Jets lose 1 game or the Bengals win 1, the Jets are out. The Jets are also out if the Steelers win both of their remaining games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Well then I definitely hope the Jets make the playoffs, because for that to happen the Browns would have to beat the Steelers Week 17.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
I look forward to Tim Thibault doing QB sneaks for the Montreal Alouettes next year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Are the Jet's self destructive or something? Why are they so stupid?

They're like wild Graveler.

Anyway, the whole Tebow thing was a disaster. I think the theory that Sanchez was so bothered by his presence that he just couldn't play is spot on. It's the only thing that explains how he turned in to Tony Romo.

I think Jacksonville might be desperate enough to go for Tebow. And the Jets will probably eat that 8 million to get rid of Sanchez. He can play...I think. I mean he used to.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Jacksonville needs a quarterback, and needs a reason for people to care about the team. Tebow always made way more sense there-in Florida Gator country, riding high on the Tebow mania, with a truly terrible QB that even Tebow would be better than-than he ever did with the Jets. The thing is, they passed on him last year, so I'm not sure they're suddenly going to want him now.

EDIT: And the stat going around on Sanchez is that he leads the league in turnovers since the start of the 2011 season, with 50. You can't blame his horrendous play on Tebow, at least not to any major extent.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:59:11 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
I am in a bind with my Bears. One, it's quite upsetting that for the second year in a row the Bears have gotten off to a good start only to get injured and blow it down the stretch. Second, we have two games left against two teams that we should beat, the Lions and the Cardinals. If we win those games and the Vikings lose to either the Texans or the Packers (which will probably happen unless Peterson activates Jesus mode) and the Giants lose to the Ravens or whoever their other game is against, the Bears will get the last playoff spot. There's at least a good chance this will happen. Which means they'll go to either Lambeau or Candlestick and lose in the first round. I mean, let's be honest, the Bears aren't going anywhere. I don't want to lose to the Packers again. I still haven't recovered from the 2010 NFC Championship game. Part of me would much rather send the Giants to Lambeau and let them do what they always do in Lambeau. But I can't make myself root against the Bears. Even when I know it's an exercise in futility. It's an upsetting situation that will definitely end in heartbreak.

Also I'm pulling for a 49ers - Broncos Super Bowl.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Jacksonville needs a quarterback, and needs a reason for people to care about the team. Tebow always made way more sense there-in Florida Gator country, riding high on the Tebow mania, with a truly terrible QB that even Tebow would be better than-than he ever did with the Jets. The thing is, they passed on him last year, so I'm not sure they're suddenly going to want him now.

EDIT: And the stat going around on Sanchez is that he leads the league in turnovers since the start of the 2011 season, with 50. You can't blame his horrendous play on Tebow, at least not to any major extent.

True. But I think he had more turnovers this year. And ball control is definitely something that can be improved upon, like Mike Vick was starting to do before his injury. The INTs are a little tougher.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
I am in a bind with my Bears. One, it's quite upsetting that for the second year in a row the Bears have gotten off to a good start only to get injured and blow it down the stretch. Second, we have two games left against two teams that we should beat, the Lions and the Cardinals. If we win those games and the Vikings lose to either the Texans or the Packers (which will probably happen unless Peterson activates Jesus mode) and the Giants lose to the Ravens or whoever their other game is against, the Bears will get the last playoff spot. There's at least a good chance this will happen. Which means they'll go to either Lambeau or Candlestick and lose in the first round. I mean, let's be honest, the Bears aren't going anywhere. I don't want to lose to the Packers again. I still haven't recovered from the 2010 NFC Championship game. Part of me would much rather send the Giants to Lambeau and let them do what they always do in Lambeau. But I can't make myself root against the Bears. Even when I know it's an exercise in futility. It's an upsetting situation that will definitely end in heartbreak.

Also I'm pulling for a 49ers - Broncos Super Bowl.

I've been hearing similar talk from other Bears fans. Tell me, do you also think Lovie Smith's time in Chicago should be over?

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
If they don't make the playoffs after starting 7-1, Lovie will probably be shown the door. Does he deserve it? Tough to say. It's not his fault he has a shockingly terrible offensive line and his best players keep getting injured. At the same time, his choice of offensive coordinators has been pretty poor. I like Lovie, but maybe it would be for the best? Glad I don't make such decisions.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
The O-Line's been pretty poor for a while though, hasn't it? I think it's fair to place blame on a head coach if the same failures occur year in and year out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
He's not also the GM there, is he? If not, it isn't really fair to criticize him for not improving the personnel. Either way, I'd be happy for the Browns to take him off your hands for you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
A good coach makes the best of what he's got, though. Unless you're arguing that the Bears' O-Line players have consistently been some of, if the not the, worst in the league for several years, in which case why on Earth would you decide to hire Mike Martz as your OC? It'd be like Wisenhunt taking a look at his QB stable and deciding to try an offense based on the long ball, or the Bills frequently going Wide 9 on defense.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
Lovie is not the GM. Two years ago the O-Line was also super terrible but last year they were okay. It's not like Lovie hasn't tried anything with the line. There have been changes. (One member of our O-Line straight up quit the team after they got abused by the 49ers.) Nothing has stuck this season. But yeah, hiring Martz was a mistake. That guy is BAD. Tice, who was promoted to coordinator specifically because of the good job he did with the O-Line last year, hasn't been great either, but again it's tough to tell how much blame is on him and how much is on our dreadful line. It's a bad situation.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I look forward to Tim Thibault doing QB sneaks for the Montreal Alouettes next year.
I don't think he's CFL quality, maybe Arena Football. He should really just turn to the sidelines and try to throw to someone in the stands, he'll have a much better shot of getting the ball near an actual receiver on the field that way.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
As a Packers fan, I'm torn on whether I want to see Lovie Smith out or not. On one hand, the Packers have owned the Bears lately and Lovie's always been a good rival coach to have. On the other, he could leave, opening the door to bring someone better in that will fix some of the Bears' issues, making them a threat to the Pack.

As a fan of the NFL, I think he's boned if the Bears miss the playoffs. Bears have a GM entering his second year who would probably love to put his choice of head coach in. It's the same reason why, even though Pat Shurmur has been doing a good job with the Browns in recent games, he might be doomed to be fired at the end of this year. Browns are changing management, and management always wants their own guys in at key roles.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Pat Shurmur is an awful coach, and any perceived quality is merely an illusion. But good news everyone, current talk has everyone from Nick Saban to Josh McDaniels ready to take the reins and run the franchise into the ground again.

The last good head coach the Browns had was Bill Belichick. They went a decade with horrible GMs, and Tom Heckert, who's been great the last couple years and has put in place most of the promising young talent the team has, is about to be unjustly fired by this jackass team president the new owner brought in.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:35:01 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
Why do the Texans hate me?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
For an example of how awful the Browns coaching is, Trent Richardson is averaging 5.9 yards per carry today, so naturally they've only given him the ball 9 times.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
* Shaymin lights a fire under the seat of Mike Tomlin
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
LOL, guess Rex Ryan should have gone with Mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow. Greg McElroy was sacked an astonishing 11 times (the record in the NFL is 12) on he way to a Jets loss.

On a side note, I hate it when teams punt on a 4th and 1.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20