Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 365901 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 NFL Discussion: Lockout, schmockout!
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
Why if one team is from New York (or New Jersey) and one team from New England did they play in Indiana?

The site of the Super Bowl is selected well ahead of time. Next year it's in New Orleans, and if the Giants (or the Jets) make it back in two years they'll be playing at home as it'll be in New York.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
Though so far no team has ever played the Super Bowl in their home stadium. And the NFL never picks a stadium in the northern US unless it has a dome because they are afraid to have the players play in snow (even though NFL games in the snow are more fun to watch).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
And the NFL never picks a stadium in the northern US unless it has a dome because they are afraid to have the players play in snow (even though NFL games in the snow are more fun to watch).

Except, as I just pointed out, they're playing it at the new Meadowlands, an outdoor stadium in northern New Jersey, in 2014.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
True, this is the first time they are doing it and I was surprised.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »
As someone who lives in New Jersey, I'm scared that the northern half of my state will blow up in two years. Reading about how nutty Indy got during this year's Super Bowl is foreboding.

Anyway, it was another crazy NFL year. I look forward to rooting for the Packers and whoever Matt Flynn plays for next year.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »
Must suck for fans always having to travel to see their team play. Here the two major football codes, the AFL and NRL, always have the grand final at the same stadium. Admittedly this probably wouldn't work with the NFL though, too many teams over a large area.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »
I look forward to rooting for the Packers and whoever Matt Flynn plays for next year.

I'm so happy Flynn's a free agent, as it will remove the threat of one team (most likely the Dolphins, but I'd really love for it to be the Redskins), trading up ahead of the Browns to take RG3. Ideally Peyton Manning would knock out the other one, but that seems less likely.

Must suck for fans always having to travel to see their team play. Here the two major football codes, the AFL and NRL, always have the grand final at the same stadium. Admittedly this probably wouldn't work with the NFL though, too many teams over a large area.

Even just getting tickets to the Super Bowl is ridiculously expensive, so anyone who wants to blow thousands of dollars on that probably has enough to cover the travel as well. Personally, if my Browns manage to get to the Super Bowl in my lifetime, I'd rather throw a big party at my house and watch it on TV than go to the game anyway, and being surrounded by obnoxious Steeler fans I don't seem to be alone in that sentiment.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
The Super Bowl is, in my eyes, a media clusterfuck. I love it, don't get me wrong, but if I wanted to see my team compete for a championship, I'd rather go to the NFC/AFC Championship game at their home stadium.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
The Super Bowl is, in my eyes, a media clusterfuck. I love it, don't get me wrong, but if I wanted to see my team compete for a championship, I'd rather go to the NFC/AFC Championship game at their home stadium.
Whose Stadium?

AFC or NFC?

Would you alternate?

What about all the prep work for just a Football game.  Not even the Superbowl.  A couple of weeks is not enough time.

I'm sure NFL would really like that as well in a way, but the logistics of all that and the politics of Home Field advantage in the Championship game is just very large.  It is unavoidable sometime in picking it in advance as well but its lessened.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:12:27 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Crazy weekend. I was there throughout Friday and Saturday in downtown Indi. It reminded me of Time Square during NYE it was so packed.

I went to a Jimmy Fallon show as well as met the cast from Grandma's Boy. All in all, a pretty hilarious weekend.

Oh and **** the PATS! I couldn't help but laugh when Giselle (Brady's wife) said something to the affect of "My husband can't throw and catch the fucking ball too!" hahaha
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
Crazy weekend. I was there throughout Friday and Saturday in downtown Indi. It reminded me of Time Square during NYE it was so packed.

Should've taken your 3DS both days. Might've gotten half a Streetpass off it.

Anyways, I wasn't excited for most of the game, but the ending was nice. And thus the Patriots end their season having beaten just one (1) team with a winning record all year.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »
Don't own one, but yes...I should have taken something other than my phone. But I was thinking something more like Video Sunglasses.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »
Whose Stadium?

AFC or NFC?

Would you alternate?

What about all the prep work for just a Football game.  Not even the Superbowl.  A couple of weeks is not enough time.

I'm sure NFL would really like that as well in a way, but the logistics of all that and the politics of Home Field advantage in the Championship game is just very large.  It is unavoidable sometime in picking it in advance as well but its lessened.

Whoa! 20 Questions!

Obviously I'd go to an NFC Championship game at Lambeau. Duh!

I didn't mean that the Super Bowl should be at a team's home stadium. I said I'd rather not go to the Super Bowl, and instead go to a game in the round before. I hyphenated the AFC/NFC to state that no matter what team I was a fan of, I'd rather go see them play at home in the game before the Super Bowl.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
So now that the season's over, and everyone's got an equal chance at winning it all next year (ha!), what're your hopes for your team's offseason prospects?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
So now that the season's over, and everyone's got an equal chance at winning it all next year (ha!), what're your hopes for your team's offseason prospects?

Packers - Super Bowl XLVII Champs.

But anyways, I hope they get a pass rusher or two or three in the draft, figure out the running back situation, make sure Matt Flynn finds a good home, and either castrate or cut Jermichael Finley.

Also, I hope Nick Collins is healthy and becomes the bionic man.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Packers - Super Bowl XLVII Champs.

But anyways, I hope they get a pass rusher or two or three in the draft, figure out the running back situation, make sure Matt Flynn finds a good home, and either castrate or cut Jermichael Finley.

Also, I hope Nick Collins is healthy and becomes the bionic man.

I can see them moving Woodson from corner to SS, where I think he'll do great, and spending some draft picks on their front seven. Getting an OLB to complement Matthews would help the pass rush, but finding a way to get Raji back in the groove would go a long way without having to use draft/FA resources. I wonder if '10 was an anamolous year for him, or if '11 was.

Regarding Finley, he seems to have mentally checked out this year. They won it all without him, but get him back to his peak and he's worth his weight in gold. Still, he'll probably demand a ton of money... and unfortunately the market value of TE's in general seems to be increasing as more teams go double TE more often. On the flipside, RBs seem less valued than in prior years: maybe pick up a good blocking/screen RB would help?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
I mean, my viewpoint on Finley is that he's an asshole. I'd much rather take the talent hit to have Quarless, Crabtree, or one of the two (now) second-year guys. By the way, Tom Crabtree is bar none the best NFL player on Twitter. That doesn't count for the actual game of football, but he's a decent TE to boot.

If Collins comes back, there is no need to move Woodson. If he doesn't? Well, if Shields can step up or we can get another corner, then I'm for it.

I'd like to think Raji is somewhere between '10 and '11. Having Cullen Jenkins around him helped out a lot, but I don't think he's a game changing player. We need another guy on the DLine. Mike Neal looks like a bust. And our patchwork LB corps from the Super Bowl run looks to have been a series of fortunate events. Walden seems mediocre and faded at the end of the year (Brad Jones started over him in the playoffs, I think). Zombo has an awesome name, but he's a back-up. A.J. Hawk also might be super overrated and make me miss Nick Barnett (you're welcome, Greg).
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
My wish to move Woodson stems primarily from the fact that he's getting older, but that age doesn't dull the skills of a SS as quickly as it does to corners. Moving him to SS lets him continue to use his experience, and his physical skills won't be as compromised.

I'm with you on the LB's though. They're not horrifically bad, but there's lots of room for improvement. And I never did understand the love* for AJ Hawk. I assume he was great sometime before I noticed him, because I like to be charitable to the media. Luckily, there's usually a lot of promising members of the front seven in a given draft, and Thompson's drafting has generally been pretty good. I haven't looked at the draft class in depth yet, though, nor am I sure who's going to be available for free agency.

*May be too strong a word.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
Hawk was first round pick and an all-around good guy. He had a good year in 2010, mainly because of the turmoil around him. He was kind of awful last year, though (so was most of the defense!). He's also the anti-Nick Barnett, who was a bit of a loudmouth. I think Barnett is better than Hawk, or at least more of a game changer, but Hawk is easier to work with.

Also, he did the middle-finger-to-his-teammates sack celebration during the Rams game that got him a fine, which is hysterical and/or stupid.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »

My Browns' defense played really well this year, but the offense was atrocious. We need a new QB, and I really want it to be Robert Griffin III. Todd McShay's latest mock draft has us getting him and WR Michael Floyd, which I'd really love to see happen, especially being a Notre Dame fan as well, but I don't think there's much chance of that actually happening in reality. But if we could get the two of them, and then shore up the right side of the offensive line later on in the draft, I could see a dramatic improvement in our record next year.

Blind optimism. It's a necessary thing to have as a Browns fan. The team is basically my religion; I don't have real evidence to support it, but I have faith that one day they will be good.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
Hawk was first round pick and an all-around good guy. He had a good year in 2010, mainly because of the turmoil around him. He was kind of awful last year, though (so was most of the defense!). He's also the anti-Nick Barnett, who was a bit of a loudmouth. I think Barnett is better than Hawk, or at least more of a game changer, but Hawk is easier to work with.

I can agree with the final sentiment, but I'm just not convinced that Hawk's ever going to be anything more than average over the course of his career, and I think that there are better pickings out there. I'd put him on the list of guys to get replaced myself, but I wouldn't make it my top priority. The Pack has bigger fish to fry this offseason.

My Browns' defense played really well this year, but the offense was atrocious. We need a new QB, and I really want it to be Robert Griffin III. Todd McShay's latest mock draft has us getting him and WR Michael Floyd, which I'd really love to see happen, especially being a Notre Dame fan as well, but I don't think there's much chance of that actually happening in reality. But if we could get the two of them, and then shore up the right side of the offensive line later on in the draft, I could see a dramatic improvement in our record next year.

Blind optimism. It's a necessary thing to have as a Browns fan. The team is basically my religion; I don't have real evidence to support it, but I have faith that one day they will be good.

Haha. Well the Browns currently seem devoted to building through the draft, which is generally a good long-term sign (assuming your scouting/GM doesn't suck), so I can see why there'd be some room for optimism, especially since you guys pick both early and often (thank you Atlanta!). And while I'm not at all on the Griffin bandwagon (I honestly think the media love is primarily a product of them getting bored of Luck after so many years, and looking around the country for a new story), this draft class seems to be light on QBs. Who's the third best, the dude from A&M? Osweiler?

I'm curious to hear what you think of your running game, though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »

Hillis was really good when he played; he had more than 600 yards playing only half the games this season. If he and the management can get on better terms I'd love to have him back.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

Hillis was really good when he played; he had more than 600 yards playing only half the games this season. If he and the management can get on better terms I'd love to have him back.

Yeah, what was that all about? I know he wanted a bigger paycheck and all, but he seems to have done it the wrong way. Aren't you afraid he's alienated everyone already? Or were those reports overblown?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
He did do it the wrong way, but the Browns aren't exactly in a position to be turning away players with the kind of talent he's demonstrated unless they have no other choice. If they can find a way to get past what happened they really need to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 15, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
I think Hillis was a one-year wonder. I might eat my words, but I don't think he'll ever be an effective running back again.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"