Poll

And what was the best calendar year so far?

3 (33.3%)
0 (0%)
3 (33.3%)
0 (0%)
1 (11.1%)
2022 already tops that trash
0 (0%)
They all stink, you stink, this poll stinks
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: How would you rank the five calendar years of Switch?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
How would you rank the five calendar years of Switch?
« on: February 17, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »
I'm not sure how to represent that question as a poll so I just turned that into voting for the best year, but how would you rank all five years in order? What are some highlights from each year?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 11:52:33 AM by Mop it up »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: How would you rank the five years of Switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:31:38 AM »
May want to make it...

March 2017 - Feb. 2018
March 2018 - Feb. 2019
etc.

...for the 5 years in question.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
Nah, that feels too complicated. I'm fine with it being calendar years to keep it simple. The system launched on March 3rd of 2017 so it still has ten of those months, and so much released in that time that I still expect it to win the poll.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »
As for my answer, at this point in time, I feel that the answer is yes to this question that I posed some time ago of Is 2017 Nintendo's Greatest Year in Software Releases? Thus, my vote goes for 2017 aka Year 1 aka Mar. 2017 - Feb. 2018.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »
However, there is a possibility that 2022 could challenge it depending on how things turn out and what all actually gets released this year.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Re: How would you rank the five calendar years of Switch?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 11:54:09 AM »
There, I edited the question to make it more clear what I mean. Happy now, Karl?!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »
Well, I'm not UN-happy about it....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 12:39:25 PM »
5. 2020
It isn't any real surprise that 2020 is in last place for me, and it will likely remain that way. Even without the impact of the pandemic, it still looks like this would have been a lean year regardless. There were still a few releases that gave me some enjoyment, though. Paper Mario: The Origami King is probably the best of the new style with a twist on the battle system, fun sense of discovery, and decent writing. Rune Factory 4 was a nice 3DS port to get since it fixed some issues and I never got around to buying the original. The DLC for Pokémon Sword and Shield is better than the main game. Super Mario Bros. 35 was a fun little anniversary game. Finally got to see what Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was like with the remaster.

4. 2018
The Switch's strong first year was certainly tough to live up to, but in some ways 2018 didn't even try. Still, there were some goodies to be had. I personally liked the idea of Nintendo Labo, although the Robot Kit didn't interest me, but the Variety Kit was fun to tinker around with. Kirby Star Allies is solid but nothing that feels new. My second most-played game in Paladins: Champions of the Realm released on Switch this year, which was fun to play with friends as we waited for more releases. Minecraft hit Switch this year which I did get for it, though I'd played it back on Wii U. A few other notables include Sega Genesis Classics, Super Mario Party, Sonic Mania, Overcooked! 2, Sushi Striker, Yoku's Island Express.

3. 2021
A solid year all around. Kicking off with the one Wii U port I bought in Super Mario 3D World, the addition of online play allowed the multiplayer to really shine and the side game of Bowser's Fury is a fun little glimpse into a possible future for 3D Mario. Monster Hunter Rise provides some improvements the series has needed; Monster Hunter Stories gets an unexpected sequel; a long overdue sequel to Pokémon Snap; a meme come true in Metroid Dread; another fun wacky team shooter with Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville; a crazy new WarioWare with a fun twist; and some more I'm probably forgetting!

2. 2017
A pretty solid first year, though the main reason I'm putting this ahead of 2021 is due to the greatness of Super Mario Odyssey and it still being my fave Switch game. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was also an unexpected mashup that turned out surprisingly well and remains one of my top ten games. Splatoon 2 is a decent sequel that we continued returning to until around when the SplatFests stopped. Other notables include Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Rocket League, Yooka-Laylee.

1. 2019
What a year! My most-played game of Super Mario Maker 2 came out here so that certainly helped push it over the edge. Other highlights include spooky fun for single- and multiplayer with Luigi's Mansion 3; the best Labo kits with Vehicle and VR; Dragon Quest Builders 2 is more than just a Minecraft clone; frantic multiplayer roguelike Risk of Rain 2; classic DooM games releasing on Switch; and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting or haven't gotten to yet. Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Turok remasters, Pokémon Sword and Shield, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Contra Rogue Corps... what a great year.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »
This is kind of a hard one for me.  I have such a huge backlog, most games I play are never the same year they were released.  Like last year my most played Switch games were Ys VIII and Xenoblade 2, but Ys VIII came out in 2018 and Xenoblade 2 was 2017.  I mean they should technically count for their respective years, but I didn't get to enjoy them until 2021.

Also doesn't help I own so many indie games that I buy on sale I have no idea what year half of them came out.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
Yeah, I get that. I don't play very many games on release either so I had to double check a lot of dates to ensure I was placing things into the correct years.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 02:55:37 PM »
This is a tough one, so I had to do a little research into the games I played on Switch. Here are the best of lists:
  • 2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Stardew Valley
  • 2018: Mega Man 11, Runner 3, Overcooked 2, Celeste, Kirby Star Allies
  • 2019: Astral Chain, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Yoshi's Crafted World
  • 2020: Super Mario Party, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Super Mario All-Stars
  • 2021: No More Heroes III, Metroid Dread, Mario Golf: Super Rush, The Mummy Demastered, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

I think 2019 might have been the strongest year for me since picking the top five was so tough. There were at least five other games that were 9 or 10 out of 10 for me. 2017 is a close second but with multiplayer games like ARMs and Splatoon, I don't really associate them with that year. I think 2018 is third because of the great time I had with Mega Man 11, After that is 2021 mostly carried by NMH3 and Metroid. Finally in last place is 2020 which still wasn't bad.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »
I picked 2017 and 2019. It's hard to argue against the Switch's launch year. Coming with Zelda out of the gate and then bringing in Mario would be amazing in any year. Plus, Splatoon 2 is so good. 2019 had the new Pokémon games launch, which was great after Let's Go, Luigi's Mansion 3, and DQ: Builders 2. These were big, must-plays for me.

The odd-numbered years are really the standouts. 2018 had Smash and Kirby but otherwise felt like a complementary year. Meanwhile 2021 outshined 2020 for me as well, though I was playing Animal Crossing on a daily basis at one point, as one does. 2021 is still tough to beat with Metroid, NMH3, and New Snap. I think having built up too big of a backlog by then is the main thing knocking 2021 out of the top 2 for me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 01:22:20 AM »
Hard for me not to pick 2017 with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey in the same calendar year. 2018 had Super Smash Bros. Ultimate though. I don’t remember the years of most games I bought.

Again, I can’t in good conscience vote on any more polls which I have previously explained. I would pick the last option though.