Author Topic: I have terrible social skills  (Read 28955 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: I have terrible social skills
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 03:58:02 AM »
hahahah, lol enlighten me on this experience?

Idk about not being able to pick up a girl in front of your mother.  Now this is unrelated, but have you ever noticed how pimp old men are? I know, i know after you get old you don't give a **** and it makes it easier, but man do they have communication skills. There have been a couple of times where i'd be behind an older dude in line and then he just flirts up this cute cashier, makes her giggle. We know he won't get any, or do we? I want that and my young self at the same time. I just wonder how much of our(err maybe just my) social skills have been dulled by our more modern computer communication skills. I see them as a crutch, I want to be pimp the old fashion way.

but its not just girls, every friend i know i have through another friend (except girls), I don't just meet people and get along with them to the point we hang out. I haven't done that since 9th grade. Like if i worked with someone or I had class with them likely i would never befriend them except (*3).

1 s, like i said girls don't count. To hard to not want to bang them, i already had a gf at the time so she was like somone to date if ever broke up, but she shat in my car

2 m, i was working on my paper for my art history class and I was in a museum staring at a museum, he just came up to me and started talking to me, he thought batman was cool and also hated the class. I've hung out with him 4 times, but he's like a younger more awkward version of me. Listening to him wine about his crap is kinda weird. At one point listening to it kinda condescends me, on the other hand it brings out some extra confidence, compared to me he's like a 1 and im a 10. I guess its like a big brother little brother feeling. He was 19 when i was 24, its probably a big age difference thing...i was done hanging out with that dude.

3 online friends, i will probably never meet any of you people (though that'd be pretty cool). Talking to you guys is effortless, not to belittle you though. I'm pretty sure you all have a grip of what i mean.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:34:23 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 04:43:45 AM »
If only I knew then what I know now... [/all of us talking about ourselves in the past tense as some point in our lives]

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 04:47:29 AM »
Speaking of not having good social skills, anyone watch UFC? I used to go to school with Cain Velasquez , i most likely had physical training class with him my junior year. I don't really remember him at all other than he looks familiar. Looking at his year book picture brings back a memory of the athletes walking around with a water bottle. I pretty much don't try to remember people from year to year, and im bad with names. The only person's name i remember is PeeWee, because thats an easy to remember name. Come to think of it of the like 20 dudes(other than peewee) in my class I don't remember them at all. There was a dude i used to chat with all the time, but i don't even remember his name. I'm alot easier remembered though, people come up to me and chat with me that remember me, and i have no idea who they are.  Actually, one of my roomates who i thought i didn't know before meeting apparently had philosophy with me, and Art. He told me of how i raised my hand and said dillards had nice restrooms, and we compared sketchbooks where we drew the same thing.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:13:03 AM by ThePerm »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 09:32:06 AM »
Can't believe you left that part outta the story dude... No one here woulda given you such **** for it if we knew that part ok we still woulda busted your chops a bit, we're guys, but it wouldn't of been that bad

I used to be like you, had trouble talking to people I didn't know. The only way you'll get over that is if you put yourself out there and just do it. Luckily for me i had no choice but to come outta my shell, it was important for a retail job to have social skills and not come off as some cold robot trying to sell a tshirt. Also fortunately for me, this was my summer job right after high school so i was able to break outta that shell sooner in life, than later (though high school mighta been even better if i wasn't so shy).

Still, its not to say I don't have moments where i feel uncomfortable approaching someone or being approached, it happens. For instance, a few years ago (when i was working at the Nintendo World Store actually) i was waiting for the last bus home (left my car at home because of all the ice on the roads, pointless to drive to the subway when a bus is available) and was standing there freezing my ass off, when this cute girl approached me. She had recognized me from my other job (i was working two at the time, one in a mall, and one @ NWS) but i didn't recognize her, at all.. but she was cute!

She musta been on the train with me the whole time, because she said "i thought you looked familiar" and obviously was waiting for the same bus and lived in my town (the bus only went from the Bronx where the train was at, to the opposite border of Yonkers, the town i live in).. so you'd think I'd strike up conversation, sit next to her on the bus (nice and close because it was SOOO cold out ;)) and maybe get her digits before either of us got off the bus. Right? Didn't happen.

I was in a funk at the time, so when she caught me standing there at the bus stop i was zoning out into my music with both a recent break up and a new crush on my mind (the new crush became the girl i'm currently seeing FYI), and not to mention tired from working both jobs in one day! I don't even remember the conversation, it was so bad and brief. Whatever i said, i must of come off like that rude bitch in Animal Crossings post office at night "Oh Hi (...what do you want!?...)" and i was kicking myself the whole bus ride. She sat a few seats in front of me, some nasty bummy looking guy ended up sitting next to her, and believe it or not she got off the damn bus about 2 blocks from where i woulda got off..

I kept imagining how the scenario woulda played out if i didn't blow it; we woulda chatted, noticed where she was getting off and suggested that shouldn't of been the end of our time together and walked her home (maybe help her with all the shopping bags she had) and ended the night with a phone number. But no, it didn't happen that way. Even though i had a minute or so to try to rectify the situation once we were on the bus, i didn't do it cuz even though i came outta my shell enough to hold a conversation with a random person, i still wasn't able to 'pull the trigger'. That problem comes with its own set of stories, but i won't get into all that now - this post has gone on long enough.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 06:12:47 PM »
Is this the missed opportunities thread now?

I was on vacation in SF with some friends once when I blew my chances with a cute blonde.  It happened at a scenic overlook where we could see the Golden Gate.  I was walking alone back to our rental when I met her coming the other way, also alone.  She smiled and asked me how I was doing.  Now, mere seconds earlier I had managed to slip and twist my leg around.  I was hurt and embarrassed, so I practically growled at her.  In spite of that, she actually pressed the matter!  I had just passed her when she asked if that (my caveman grunt) was a "good."  I looked back and bit out "I'm fine" before continuing back to sit by the car to wait for my friends.  At some point along that short walk it finally occurred to me what I'd done.

Oh well.  These things happen.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
hahahah, lol enlighten me on this experience?

Well during welcome week freshmen year, my buddy and I, in a hangover stupor, go out for some breakfast. I look like ****, smell like ****, and am dressed like ****; in other words, I was in no shape to pimp. After getting accustomed to the bright sun and wonderful weather, my buddy and I decide to go to an outdoor diner in the middle of the busiest street in town (busy people wise, not car wise).

We sat down and waited to be served. Our waitress came by a minute later and couldn't help but laugh at our sorry sight. Making small talk, she decides to hook us up with a basket of fries on the house while our orders are cooking. Sweet girl.

My friend and I start going over the events of last night, trying to decipher what happened. He claims I punched in the back of the head, but I don't remember that at all, LOL! I, however, remember him hitting on a little lady cop and carrying him off before he got arrested, but of course, he didn't remember that either. Anyway, during our laughs and debate, I overhear a girl and her mom talking about directions at the table beside us. They were both attractive (like mother like daughter) and despite looking like ****, I was feeling pretty charismatic (maybe it was the free fries). It was so long ago that I'm not sure exactly how I went about it, but I remember flirting with her mother more, e.g. asking the girl who her friend was and thus flattering her mother. We helped them out with their directions and small talk ensued, in which her mother seemed the most interested (young at heart I guess). We were soon interrupted by our waiter and our food. Tasty.

They had gotten their food earlier and were wrapping things up. I acted like I wasn't paying any attention, but I saw them whispering to each other. Soon the girl emerged and asked us if we would like to go to a party she's having. We, of course, said we'd love to and that's when we exchanged numbers in front of her mother; she was excited and smiling, which I thought was cute. As they were leaving, I asked a rhetorical question to the mother asking her if she was going to be at the party. Nervously, she quickly explained to me her plans that day. "Well maybe next time." The girl shook her head with a smile and they both proceeded to leave.

If it wasn't for her mom, I don't think that girl would have invited us to her party. Not because we were ugly or some ****, but because that wasn't her style; it would have been very awkward for her. Her mother, however, was way past that phase and convinced her daughter to go out on a limb. She was on our side, which was great.

Idk about not being able to pick up a girl in front of your mother.  Now this is unrelated, but have you ever noticed how pimp old men are? I know, i know after you get old you don't give a **** and it makes it easier, but man do they have communication skills. There have been a couple of times where i'd be behind an older dude in line and then he just flirts up this cute cashier, makes her giggle. We know he won't get any, or do we? I want that and my young self at the same time. I just wonder how much of our(err maybe just my) social skills have been dulled by our more modern computer communication skills. I see them as a crutch, I want to be pimp the old fashion way.

but its not just girls, every friend i know i have through another friend (except girls), I don't just meet people and get along with them to the point we hang out. I haven't done that since 9th grade. Like if i worked with someone or I had class with them likely i would never befriend them except (*3).

1 shelly, like i said girls don't count. To hard to not want to bang them, i already had a gf at the time so she was like somone to date if ever broke up, but she shat in my car

2 m, i was working on my paper for my art history class and I was in a museum staring at a museum, he just came up to me and started talking to me, he thought batman was cool and also hated the class. I've hung out with him 4 times, but he's like a younger more awkward version of me. Listening to him wine about his crap is kinda weird. At one point listening to it kinda condescends me, on the other hand it brings out some extra confidence, compared to me he's like a 1 and im a 10. I guess its like a big brother little brother feeling. He was 19 when i was 24, its probably a big age difference thing...i was done hanging out with that dude.

3 online friends, i will probably never meet any of you people (though that'd be pretty cool). Talking to you guys is effortless, not to belittle you though. I'm pretty sure you all have a grip of what i mean.

Ahhh....pimping the old fashion way.

Do you know why old dudes are good at conversation? It's because they know how to read people. I think that's what you might need to work on. Even if you're clever, smart, and handsome, if you can't read a girl then your chances of making them laugh or feel comfortable go down miserably. Some girls might like the "baffled" or "nervous" side of men because they take it as a compliment, but ALL girls like it when you know exactly what they need to hear.

I could explain exactly the process I use but it would take a while to write up and I'm not going to do it just for ****'s sake. If you really really want to know, hit me up.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

this thread is what it is

ever been disappointed a girl switched teams?
Back in the day when gamecube was new PSO was going to come out, i was excited, an online mmorpg game coming out for the gamecube. I had this plan, i was going to join a clan, become the treasuror of the clan and then rip them off. When I realized the game wasn't going to be my style I decided to still **** with those people. I created an alternate personality and started chatting with them as both theperm and lance vlad, lance vlad was the alternate version of me. A hyper Xbox fanboy that was definitely grating the nerves of all the people. Me, myself and the clan had long drawn out flame battles that were absolutely hilarious on my side. After they were all duped into theinking lance was a real person. About a months worth of work, i revealed that I was both people. Some were shocked, others thought it was as hilarious as i did. A couple people that were involved are still friends with me to this day. Mainly the real xbox fanboy in the group, and the chick in the group. The Chick was like 13 at the time. Anyway this chick is 19 or 20 now, and she grew up to be hot, but recently has a gf.... Makes me just want to watch Chasing Amy or Puccini for Beginners.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
Who knows if she doesn't go both ways...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »

As long as that doesn't mean everyone will start posting their missed opportunities and looking for sympathy...

I was on vacation in SF with some friends once when I blew my chances with a cute blonde.  It happened at a scenic overlook where we could see the Golden Gate.  I was walking alone back to our rental when I met her coming the other way, also alone.  She smiled and asked me how I was doing.  Now, mere seconds earlier I had managed to slip and twist my leg around.  I was hurt and embarrassed, so I practically growled at her.  In spite of that, she actually pressed the matter!  I had just passed her when she asked if that (my caveman grunt) was a "good."  I looked back and bit out "I'm fine" before continuing back to sit by the car to wait for my friends.  At some point along that short walk it finally occurred to me what I'd done.

Oh well.  These things happen.

And speaking of sympathy, this situation coulda went bad even if you did talk to this girl. You obviously weren't in the best of moods (having fallen/injured earlier) so it was good you didn't just vent to her, or else you woulda brougth her mood down and made her think "why the **** do you think i care about your problems?". If you worked it out the right way, striked up conversation and left a lilttle mystery as to why you weren't in a great mood when the scenery about you was beautiful, her curiosity woulda taken over and when you finally told her what happened (and pulled it off right) she'd give you the "awwwww" and wanna make you feel better. How much better woulda been up to you though, once you took hold of the situation.

At least you didn't bring her mood down though, so even though you didn't make the "right" choice, you didn't make the worse one either.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

As long as that doesn't mean everyone will start posting their missed opportunities and looking for sympathy...

Definitely not looking for sympathy.  I find it funny, really.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
damnit!

so i was in the bank today, and the bank teller...

teller: oh so what do you have planned this weekend?

me: nothing

teller: i don't have anything planned...

damnit! That was the cue. Missed it.

so, how do you suggest going about hitting up on a bank teller? She had a wonderful rack.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:42:32 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
damnit!

so i was in the bank today, and the bank teller...

teller: oh so what do you have planned this weekend?

me: nothing

teller: i don't have anything planned...

Peter: Why don't we have nothing planned together :wink & smile, snap & point:

teller: I get off at 6:30 here is my number. pick me up out front and call me when you get here.

Peter: All right. I hope you like mustache rides :finger strokes stache:

teller: :giggles:

The Perm: How did he do that!!?

ahhh... missed opportunities.

edit: for those that don't know who Peter is: link

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
^lol

Perm, you know what you should do in those situations? You should put the awkwardness, that feeling that "man I think she wants me to say something", back on her. How, you ask? By asking her the question you are comtemplating in your head.

She said: I don't have anything planned...

You should have said: Are you trying to pick me up?

She *blushes*

You see, simply putting the idea out there will start a more aggressive flirt, plus it makes it a lot more straight forward. It's really just as simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:59:11 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »
oh Kashogi you are wise!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 04:43:56 AM »
Your just figuring that out now? :P

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »
so, how do you suggest going about hitting up on a bank teller? She had a wonderful rack.

Pics or you're a dirty filthy liar

Peter: All right. I hope you like mustache rides :finger strokes stache:

teller: :giggles:

If this thread was winnable, you won it and are eligible to enter for the grand GRAND prize.

oh Kashogi you are wise!

His herbs let him see into the future.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
**** I wish. We both know I've been injured way too many times for that to be true.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
The herbs let you see into the future, but alters your view of the present ;)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »

Not wise enough to understand the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »
Ahhh.... pissing you off is so much more fun.

Offline DrFunkenstein

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
Man this thread is as cool as school in summertime.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »

Pics or you're a dirty filthy liar
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
Im not sure, but i think my first is a lesbian now. I could see that happening though.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »
Speaking of missed opportunities and Lesbians, I met this girl over the weekend through mutual friends. We hit it off, flirty, joking and stuff, people had left some went to get drinks so in the end we were the only two left at the table. I was getting some really good body language and feedback from this girl.

Then this swarm of lesbians (the butch-kind, not the hot kind) came over to our table, she seemed to know them. They were talking about lesbain stuff, you know gay bars (we only have one in our city, for both the males and females, supoosedly Sydney has a much larger gay community), celebrity lesbians (is Linsay Lohan a real lesbian or just someone doing it for attention? The unanimous answer was for the attention, but all of them stem would stick **** her) and whatnot. I sorta got completely ignored for 15 minutes.

They left to go to the singular gay bar. The girl asked if I wanted to go. "Nope, not really my scene!" Anyway she didn't go and decided to stay with my friends and I. Although after the lesbian swarm encounter I was convinced she was a lesbian, so I cooled off with my romantic attack. I couldn't convert a lesbian.

Today I learned she isn't a lesbian. She just went though a "lesbain phase" and still kept in contact with a lot of her lezzo chums. Darn.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
I was once at a small bar with 2 friends, a guy and a girl. After a few minutes, it was becoming more and more obvious to me that by the end of the night I will be the 3rd wheel. But there just weren't that many people at the bar and women was the scarcest of commodities. I was more likely to get a free drink from the bar than meet a drop dead gorgeous decent looking girl in this place.

After about an hour and a few drinks, some girl starts hitting on the girl at my table, saying that she was hot and wanted to be her friend or something like that(It was loud, I couldn't really hear what she ewas saying). She wasn't bad looking, but she had no make-up on, a t-shirt, and jeans. She obviously wasn't there looking for a man (duh, she was hitting on the woman at our table) and I think they had met before (at the same bar?), since they did seem a little friendly.

Anyway, we find out that she is a pretty devoted lesbian, through conversation from her bouncing back and forth to our table, and that she was not interested in men, which was fine since she was nothing special herself. After her talking about being a lesbian for a while, I'm not sure what happened, but a switch flipped. I think the girl at my table challenged me to hit on her or something, but I don't remember now, since this was a really long time ago. After a few more drinks, I can't tell you what was said, but I had her pinned up against the wall outside and we couldn't keep our hands off each other. Alot of the details are blurry, but I remember the backseat of my car and a condom out of the secret stash spot next to the steering wheel.

That was one opportunity that was definitely not missed. I apparently have excellent drunken social skills.