Author Topic: Tutorials in Wonderful 101 (and general rants about MiiVerse)  (Read 8320 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Tutorials in Wonderful 101 (and general rants about MiiVerse)
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
HINT: all MiiVerse pictures i post (in this thread and before that) are actually links. I wonder what happens when you click on them? Hmm...

Look at this:

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but really? Really? REALLY?

Instructions are right there: "draw a longer whip to grab from afar." What does he/she do?

Draws miniscule whip and tries to grab up close.

Seriously?

Then another example:

Poster asks what is he supposed to do there. Gee, i wonder... Audience, can you give him a hint?

Now here is a big and a very important one. This is a screen you get right after you finish prologue:

The very first line says: "before heading to battle head to Wonderful Mart...". What do people actually do?

They ignore it completely. And then don't get Guts and then wonder how are they supposed to beat tanks.

What's the first thing we see if we go to Wonderful Mart?

See those marks? They want to show you that these upgrades are absolutely essential. Playing the game without them is the same as playing football without legs.

Game gets lots of complaints about "broken" camera. Here is the tutorial that they missed:

Basically they are supposed to keep the game zoomed out at all times with L button. But they don't do that.

This is perfect example:

Camera is zoomed in and poster doesn't have any idea of what Guts is.

And look at this:

Tutorial showing you how to lift things. Looks pretty straightforward.

But then you get people who get lost 10 minutes later on this level when they're supposed to pick football helmet:

When i asked another person with the same problem where was he during lifting tutorial part, he said that he simply blew up the truck killing all guys under it and skipped lifting completely.

Game gives you a freedom to ignore the message and people of course pick not to learn.

Also here is this boss sequence:

Poster already destroyed three bubbles on his arm, and now, kids, do you see what he is missing? The game even tries to show him the way, but nope, let's keep doing what he's been doing for the last 15 minutes without any results.

Lots of people gets stuck on these (i usually see at least few similar questions every time i open miiverse):

Or here:

But these are pretty legit questions.

And one miiverse thread i find to be rather interesting, and even touching in sense how eager to help guys who responded were:

Also, that guy has the prettiest handwriting i ever seen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:05:44 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorials in Wonderful 101 (and general rants about MiiVerse)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
hahaha, this is what happen when people play too much fruit ninja.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
Ironically Enough I know I didn't get that first Tutorial at that area because I tried to double jump to it initially.

Also Azeke if you want to record something on Wonderful 101 I'll see about twisting some arms to get it in an episode or just put it on the NFR Feed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:00:40 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
Ironically Enough I know I didn't get that first Tutorial at that area because I tried to double jump to it initially.

Also Azeke if you want to record something on Wonderful 101 I'll see about twisting some arms to get it in an episode or just put it on the NFR Feed.

I actually wouldn't mind getting Azeke on the show to defend the game as well. Schedules haven't synced up that way so far, but sometime in the near future you never know.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
About the camera, during some sections, the camera cannot be manually zoomed in/zoomed out. These sections can sometimes be zoomed out too far (particularly during some boss battles), making seeing your attackers and evading correctly quite challenging.

Also, there are some sections of the game where knowing what to do is, in fact, rather challenging. I remember a boss where you actually needed to have 100 heroes to fill in a circle on a boss to control it. However, I don't believe there was a place where the game told you this, so many were stuck here, filling up the hole and not realizing why nothing was happening.

Still, it's a great game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
I know what your talking about.  It gives a red outline of what you are constructing.  In general either P-Star will have a blue beam from him or a red outline will happen when you need to shove people in.  What annoyed me in the filling area of the game is I found toilets I couldn't fill.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
I actually wouldn't mind getting Azeke on the show to defend the game as well. Schedules haven't synced up that way so far, but sometime in the near future you never know.
Just saying, i don't like the thought that this game needs defending. It implies the feeling that this is a inherently flawed game that fell short of the expectations and didn't do what it's creators wanted to do, which is as far from truth as one can be.

Sure, that game isn't perfect and there are quite a few glitches here and there, but no one after beating it can say it didn't realized it's potential and then went way beyond it to join the likes of SMG and Bayonetta in the pantheon of the greatest games ever made.

But sure, i'm up to talk about this or other games i played. Just make sure to contact me about times beforehand, i can devote one sleepless saturday night for this with no problems. I often stay up to 3am even on weekdays anyways.

About the camera, during some sections, the camera cannot be manually zoomed in/zoomed out.
If it's about inside sections, holding L fixes camera behind the leader.

These sections can sometimes be zoomed out too far (particularly during some boss battles), making seeing your attackers and evading correctly quite challenging
There is no zoomed out too far in this game. You have to see as much of the area as possible to prevent enemies attacking you off screen. Also positioning yourself right helps with that too.

According to my latest medical examination my eyesight is so poor i can't drive. But i can deal with W101 just fine playing it across the room on my bed.

When zoomed out, you need to look for coloured circle under your leader to see where you are. Also when you're running, your leader leaves a rainbow stripe after him. More so, when your combo meter goes high enough, coloured flame appear over your leader's head. These are the cues you need to look for.

Apart from visual cues, game makes sure to make all enemies quite noisy. All enemies make very distinct sounds for every type of attack they do.

I remember a boss where you actually needed to have 100 heroes to fill in a circle on a boss to control it. However, I don't believe there was a place where the game told you this, so many were stuck here, filling up the hole and not realizing why nothing was happening.
What annoyed me in the filling area of the game is I found toilets I couldn't fill.
Both is these issues are actually about finnicky Unite Build. In the first case, you actually don't need 100 heroes to fill the eyesocket. You just need to get ALL characters in. Including yourself. So you have to move around a bit to get him in too. Sometimes you will be missing one or two stray heroes from you crowd who will just run around instead going inside, again -- move around, jump to get them in.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Azeke, thanks again for another cool W101 thread. Fatty Approves. Those Miiverse linked posts are great and helpful.

I know what your talking about.  It gives a red outline of what you are constructing.  In general either P-Star will have a blue beam from him or a red outline will happen when you need to shove people in.  What annoyed me in the filling area of the game is I found toilets I couldn't fill.
Ceric, I want you to come back in 10 years and re-read this post and see if you can figure out what you were talking about.  ;D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »
I just wanted to link a great miiverse thread i saw today:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnX7E-Rag

This is the kind of stuff i really love about miiverse.