Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year  (Read 36546 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to All Regions This Year
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 03:53:13 AM »
There's small holes in the new LL as well, supposed to be for wrist straps but you can use them for an neckstrap as well.  Me, I use either an armband or I even have an waist fanny pack since I don't like things hanging from my neck.

So carrying the 3DS LL shouldn't be any more hassle than an Vita. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:55:03 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline Podings

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 06:01:56 AM »
Redesigned to match the design aesthetics of the Wii U.

Called it!

They did the exact same thing with announcing the DS lite right after Wii had stolen the show at E3.

Not including a second slidepad is deliberate in distinguishing the handheld experience from the console experience, is my best guess. Had it been there, the 3DS XL would literally just be a small Wii U in terms of functionality.

Gotta make sure they do something different, or people won't see how they need both.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:04:45 AM by Podings »
I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
I'm definitely in for a 3DS XL, but I'm going to wait until November since there is always a bundle pack made available for the same price.  I'm hoping for a $199 3DS XL with Paper Mario personally.

Offline Tlon

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS LL Coming After All
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:50 AM »
So... How do I go about transferring everything from my 3DS to my upcoming 3DS XL? :D
System Settings > Other Settings > System Transfer. You can do this only 5 times though, so use it wisely.

I just don't know if I trust Nintendo to make it quite that easy. ;)

Transferring data is that easy. I had to do it once. There is also a nice animation of Pikmin moving your data.
"hlör u fang axaxaxas mlö"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
I just googled the System Transfer. It transfers everything including the System ID and Friend Roster which was the thing I was worried about. Only save credit card info and photos, video and sound files on the SD card will not transfer. There's really no barrier here. I know my friend at Play N Trade will let me do a System Transfer in the store; I'm not sure about GameStop. They might be dicks about it. I would only consider trading my regular 3DS at GameStop if they had a trade special. Either way, I'm keeping the SD card.
I'm definitely in for a 3DS XL, but I'm going to wait until November since there is always a bundle pack made available for the same price.  I'm hoping for a $199 3DS XL with Paper Mario personally.
I hadn't even thought of that. I think you're probably looking at $220 or $230 for an older game like Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land. I'd be surprised if they gave you one of their big holiday releases for free.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:36:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 07:41:54 AM »
That's the last time I stay up late to watch an E3 live stream!

I definitely want to upgrade to one of these, but the price will dictate when I get to take the plunge.
Does anybody know how long a 3DS system transfer takes?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »
It depends on how much info needs to be transferred. Data is sent via Wi-Fi, obviously. I've never done a System Transfer before but it probably only takes a few minutes.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
This revision proves Miyamoto is a liar. He flat out denied there would ever be a 3DS revision not that long ago.

Also, if this doesn't include circle pad pro integrated into it and if the system is physically larger then they need to come out with a new circle pad pro peripheral because obviously the one designed for the original 3DS isn't going to fit onto this one.
is your sanity...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
I get why Nintendo chose to drip feed information rather than MEGATONS OVERLOAD at E3.

But, to be fair, its E3. That's what you should do.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »
Why are you surprised by this? Nintendo didn't want to announce it 2 weeks ago so they didn't. That happened with DS Lite too. Everyone pretty much assumed that a new 3DS model was coming. Nintendo will announce things when they're ready.

Still, like I said earlier, the XL isn't a replacement model. It's meant to be sold alongside the 3DS that's already in stores. I wouldn't even classify this as a revision. It's practically the same exact system, only bigger.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 08:17:04 AM »
It depends on how much info needs to be transferred. Data is sent via Wi-Fi, obviously. I've never done a System Transfer before but it probably only takes a few minutes.

I did the transfer from the DSi to 3DS and it took a while. Depending on how many eShop titles you own, I could see this taking a lot longer unless they found a way to make it work better than it did originally.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
I just bought a 3DS today, along with some games and a Circle Pad Pro.  *sigh*  Well, this 3DS isn't available in Purple like mine, so that's something I can take solace in.
Ok I can't sympathize on this one because you purposely said you were holding off on opening till after the Nintendo Direct just in case something like this happened.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
I'm not sure what they could be announcing for 3DS, though.  I was going to pick up a 3DS today, but I think I'll wait till tomorrow just to be safe.

I just bought a 3DS today, along with some games and a Circle Pad Pro.  *sigh*  Well, this 3DS isn't available in Purple like mine, so that's something I can take solace in.

For the record, you're well within your return period at virtually any major retailer.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaidenSlayer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
No right stick no buy. >_>

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
No right stick no buy. >_>

I understand many people will see the large, attractive screens and buy the revision. But I'm with you.  If the only functional changes are increasing visibility with a trade-off of reducing portability and making some (optional, but potentially desirable) peripherals no longer work then I'm certainly not re-buying.

That said, I'm probably just not in the target market. Surely Nintendo wants to stop production of DSi XL units soon, and having a replacement on the market makes a lot of sense assuming that product was successful for them.  Netflix alone will make this an attractive option for some people.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
I want my 3DS XL in black with a second stick and 4 shoulder buttons.
Cant give me that nintendo? i'll just use my launch day 3DS

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »

Sounds kind of ridiculous when you put it that way. Until you realize that multiple system-selling games strongly recommend using an existing accessory that gives your 3DS a second stick and four shoulder buttons - you know, the accessory that won't fit the 3DS XL right now and would push it up to at least a double-XL if a revision comes out later?

As long as you don't care about the small set of third-party games that support and recommend the Circle Pad Pro accessory it probably doesn't matter.  That probably includes the vast majority of gamers outside of Japan, so even though I'm bummed it's a smart move on Nintendo's part to release "as is".

As for complaining about color choice, c'est la vie!  Can't please everyone all the time.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
I would have preferred an all black XL but that blue one looks nice.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
Ok I can't sympathize on this one because you purposely said you were holding off on opening till after the Nintendo Direct just in case something like this happened.

Well, the morning after I'm really not as bothered by this as I thought at the time.  I actually wanted to play games like Resident Evil Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro, and it's certainly not compatible with this new model.  I doubt Nintendo will make a "Circle Pad Pro XL", either, so I probably chose the right model.

Besides, buying the 3DS brought me very close to Club Nintendo Platinum status this year, and a couple of days ago I wasn't even a Gold member.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:45:41 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Does anyone know if the red and blue are completely solid or is the upper half black like the current model?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 12:23:35 PM »
Do you mean the inside or outside? Judging by the pics i've seen, it looks like just the outside of the top half has the red/blue glossy finish and everything else is matte black, including the inside of the top half which had that straight black glossy finish on the regular 3DS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Like I have said for several months, no 3DS revision will feature a second analog stick unless there are games that require it (a few support it, but none require it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Not including a second slidepad is deliberate in distinguishing the handheld experience from the console experience, is my best guess. Had it been there, the 3DS XL would literally just be a small Wii U in terms of functionality.

Why would that be a bad thing?

This revision breaks compatibility with the CPP peripheral (and the games which require it). It should have been integrated into the system by default, but since they didn't do that now they have no choice but to make a new CPP peripheral to fit the XL.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
They should just call it the 3DS JJ for James Jones Edition.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
(and the games which require it)

No games require it. A few support it, but none require it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20