Author Topic: 3DS SD card corruption  (Read 2375 times)

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
3DS SD card corruption
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
I was wanting to use my 3DS SD card for other things so I cut and pasted everything from it onto my computer. After I brought everything back on the card, and put it back in the DS it gave me some sort of message about the data being corrupted. Now, most of the home screen icons tell me that I need to redownload the from the eshop, including Animal Crossing and Streetpass Mii Plaza :(.
I don't remember anything seeming wrong during the process but I might not be remembering it properly. Anyone know if there's any remote chance of me fixing my stuff ? Or have any insight on what I could have done wrong so I can avoid making the same mistake?
Any insight would be great, thanks guys.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS SD card corruption
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
If you've been using the card for other things, it may no longer be formatted properly. Have you tried to reformat the card? Keep your 3DS data on your computer and then reformat the card, and then put your 3DS data back onto it and try it again.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »
Does that involve reformatting it into something 3DS specific or would any hit I get off googling "Reformat SD card" be able to help me do that?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:24:12 PM »
You should always try to back up your SD card as often as possible. Thankfully 3DS uses regular files instead of some impenetrable proprietary system so you can copy them back and forth easily.

Another thing is to follow the advice that 3DS itself says and don't take the card out until you turned it off. Similarly when you use on PC, first you disconnect it as a regular USB stick then you take it off.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:33:36 AM »
While I was trying to fix it earlier I somehow ended up with a couple of slightly different copies of the files so I had a few scares when those didn't work even after the reformatting.

However, I finally got it to work! Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll have to be more careful next time I mess around with the card (lol that probably won't be for another couple of years if ever).

P.S. There is an absolutely hilarious amount of wrapped icons on my home menu.