Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131250 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!
« Reply #350 on: June 12, 2015, 08:38:25 PM »
I get what you are saying, Evan. They feel like training exercises rather than full fledged levels. Though as I get closer to the end, more of what I know is put to the test. And finding the entrances is getting tricky. So, it's advancing but the single player doesn't feel like a single player game.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
I'm surprised to hear the response to the single player has been so favorable. It's full of one-off gimmicks and stuff but it hardly feels satisfying. Is the standard for FPS campaigns really set so low?
I get what you are saying, Evan. They feel like training exercises rather than full fledged levels. Though as I get closer to the end, more of what I know is put to the test. And finding the entrances is getting tricky. So, it's advancing but the single player doesn't feel like a single player game.

To summarize my experience with the campaigns of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon: the standard shooter story is a series of funnels to the next cinematic, set piece conflict, or alternative killing gimmick (e.g. a turret or gunship). Battlefield 4 gives you some room to move around and occasionally a tank. Blood Dragon gives you a lot of space to play stealthy.

Splatoon's Hero Mode (eventually) gave me some tricky platforming and boss puzzles. Also, rushing through the levels a second time or with the amiibo challenges gave me room to have some clever or reckless fun. While I wish the levels got harder and that there were more tricky levels, I feel Splatoon's Hero Mode deserves the praise it gets.

Also, I got a kick out of all the Sunken Sea scrolls.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
I think the single player just feels narrow. Linear path, no special items, little exploration... But what is there is very well done.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 12, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »
Just tell me the boss battles get a bit more inventive. I'm on the third world now and those first two battles were very underwhelming.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:04 AM »
Boss 3 is an odd ball until you realize you treat as other enemy balls. Boss 4 is actually quite a mystery until you remember that Dodongo dislikes smoke.

Sadly, for me the bosses don't become a threat and a spectacle until the fifth and final boss. Now that I think on it, the final boss is a jarring spike in difficulty. The final boss demands an amount of attention, awareness, and instinct that the previous bosses are absent of.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Sadly, for me the bosses don't become a threat and a spectacle until the fifth and final boss. Now that I think on it, the final boss is a jarring spike in difficulty. The final boss demands an amount of attention, awareness, and instinct that the previous bosses are absent of.

To me the difficulty spike doesn't happen until the very end of the final boss where the platforms get so tiny and you're faced with missiles, a killer wail plus octotroopers that can kill you if you aren't fast enough in killing them.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
I've been playing a bit more of the single player after capping out at level 20 earlier tonight- it's growing on me, and I do enjoy the act of discovering each level. I figured out the third world boss gimmick by accident but none of the enemies have been so difficult that I can't have time to experiment and look around.

I'm eagerly looking forward to this final boss fight, though. The way people keep mentioning it has me very excited.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 14, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Finally reached Level 10, and I won my first Splat Zones match. Can't say I care for the mode too much, though: the whole fun of King of the Hill is defending a moving target as the zones jump around, but Splat Zones' zones don't do that. Instead, it's pretty much a race to see who can camp outside the zones the fastest & just shoot anyone who comes near. Not terribly interesting, but it does seem that THAT is where all the XP opportunities are since I earned double the XP I usually get in Turf War.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 14, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Cat people be warned: It was a tough decision, but I went team Dog.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »
I actually really like splat zones. It's very stressful having one point of the map locked down, and I am wondering,  , if you've played Blackbelly skatepark or the docks (these names are so difficult to remember), which feature two zones to capture and hold. In the skatepark it feels a bit more frantic because of their close proximity, but the docks are pretty far apart with one zone being in each teams territory, so the battle can feel very uphill. I personally like the docks and Walleye Warehouse best. However, the rankin system is pretty harsh, it's all-or-nothing and everyone loses a substantial amount of rank points upon losing.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
I'm two levels away from the cap (level 20) and kind of bewildered right now. What's the point of this? The only reason I can think of is (once again) they're trying to baby-proof the game so people don't see someone at level 32 and get discouraged. I know you can move on to ranked matches and raise your rank there, but still, that doesn't really do anything about Turf War (which I prefer, even though Splat Zones is fun in its own way).

If they're really trying to market this game as an "evergreen" title, they either need to raise the cap or put in some sort of prestige system. I'm not playing the game just to level up, but at the same time, I don't think I'm going to play as long/go back to it as often if the sense of progression is almost entirely gone (as artificial as it may be). Which is a shame since I'm closing in on 20 hours into the online multiplayer and still having fun.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
I'm guessing the level cap will go up in some upcoming DLC.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
I'm guessing the level cap will go up in some upcoming DLC.

I'm sure you're right and it will at some point, but I'm not so confident about it coming in a timely manner or being much more difficult to reach again once it's here. Having it in the first place and having it be so low still seems super weird to me. Even something like reach level 20 > prestige > get special (not necessarily super powerful) piece of gear > start from level one again would have been an easy solution.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2015, 12:21:02 AM »
I really don't get the draw behind prestige systems, especially when it already takes an eternity to level up to begin with. Personally, I'd like Nintendo to start either offering equipment that has a double XP (P) perk or start doing Double XP weekends because it was a real chore to level up to Level 10. It only gets even more tedious when all your competitors are level 13-20 and have access to weapons & perks you won't have for 5+ more game hours.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
I have had the game for a week and capped without much trouble. However, I'd say levels 12-15 were done on a really impressive win streak in Ranked Battle.

I wonder if the cap is so that Nintendo can have time to create more weapon content, etc. They seem to have exhausted all the weapon ideas in the first 20 levels.

I do foresee lots of Deco weapons appearing. They're easy alternatives to create.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:23:37 AM by Evan_B »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2015, 12:59:44 AM »
Prestige is bragging rights; a shiny thing next to your nameplate.

The leveling is slow going, but nothing that feels any different than Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3. I never drilled down to what comes what with levels, but it seems you can start buying three star gear at level 10. If there are specific gear that are further locked behind levels, then that's a bit of a grind. I have an assumption that the main ability of gears are set while the sub abilities are random rolls, but who knows if that sticks once Super Sea Snails start rolling out.

As for the level cap of 20, I figure, "Hey, they only had 20-25 weapons that they were comfortable with the balance of." I'm noticing among the level cap players that they are sticking with weapons that you unlock in middle of the level range. It's sad that it works so well, but hopefully they will make another carrot to dangle in front of us. There are the Splat Fests incoming, but that's a weekend event and not some goal that is always there for you to progress to.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2015, 01:18:09 AM »
Yeah, I can image the re-roll being useful for some gear that I've wasted way too much time grinding, but the Sea Snail thing is kind of ridiculous. Gives me a reason to play online though.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2015, 02:20:48 AM »
Had one of my best rounds of regular battle (1388p, 10 kills, no deaths) and ranked (come from behind 81-80 win after being down by 40) with the Splash-O-Matic. I love it.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »

I'm ~18 hours into the game and about to cap, but I didn't touch Splat Zones until level 16 or 17 so I didn't have the benefit of using that to level faster. If you're somewhat good at the game and start mixing in more ranked matches at level 10, you could probably cap at 15 hours. That's not too terribly long for an online shooter imo. If you enjoy the game and have a decent amount of free time, that probably just ends up being a couple weekends.

Prestige is meaningless, but it's an easy to way to keep up the sense of progression for people who really enjoy the game and put a decent amount of time into it.

As for the level cap of 20, I figure, "Hey, they only had 20-25 weapons that they were comfortable with the balance of." I'm noticing among the level cap players that they are sticking with weapons that you unlock in middle of the level range. It's sad that it works so well, but hopefully they will make another carrot to dangle in front of us. There are the Splat Fests incoming, but that's a weekend event and not some goal that is always there for you to progress to.

I didn't even call to mind the fact that you unlock a new weapon every time you level when I was thinking about this (probably because no matter how many new weapons I try out, I always end up going back to the Splattershot Jr.). Yeah, that's probably the reason for the cap and it makes sense if you want a new unlock for every level. Still, I wish there was something.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
I am expecting that the patch with new modes will come with higher caps so that they can entice players again.

Like, seriously, all they need to do is release a blaster with a sprinkler. I don't care if its rate of fire sucks ass and it has echolocator, I will legit use it for that main/sub combo alone.

EDIT: Just finished the single player campaign, and I'm shocked at how quickly I've burned through every part of this game. However, it impresses me that it was so easy to become absolutely consumed by a game like this. If there were any more content I'd probably be devoting a whole lot more time to Splatoon, but seeing as I've capped at 20 and am now simply awaiting new maps (like the bridge level from the single player campaign, someone, somewhere also mentioned a sort of log-cabin themed level? It was also in the footage from last year which changed quite a bit), weapons, and modes to keep me playing the game. This will go from a hungry quest to a game I play to de-stress, which is okay.

I would agree with all those who say it's light on content. My main worry, and something I have voiced on other channels, was this- once Nintendo decides to end Splatoon's online play, how much of a game will be remaining that I really want to keep? The answer is almost-nothing, and that's a bit disappointing. I would be very open to more single player levels, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

That final boss was pretty silly, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:49:10 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 16, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »
New weapons tonight.

- Custom E-liter 3K (Squid Beacon/Kraken)
- L-3 Nozzlenose (Disruptors/Killer Wail)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:01 AM »
E Liter 3K?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/121950071984/unfortunately-a-matchmaking-issue-was-discovered

A yet-to-be-resolved matchmaking issue has delayed the NA Splatfest that was supposed to happen this weekend.

In my last session of Splatoon, I had a matchmaking bug where the room was full but the match failed to start. Maybe that's the issue in play here. Hope it is fixed soon.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
too many dog people thrw off the balance?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 20, 2015, 06:30:59 AM »
In Japan's case, it could be bread people.

I'm not assuming anything. Could be rice people too.