Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131241 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!
« Reply #300 on: June 04, 2015, 12:17:34 AM »
I was playing some Turf Wars earlier today when I noticed something odd: with 30 seconds left to go, my side was leading probably around 70-30. Then I look down with 10 seconds to go & suddenly it was 70-30 against us. I tried to do some cleanup, but I noticed that after the click hit 0 a big white circle appeared on the gamepad in an area we had all our color. It blinked for about a second and then suddenly that ENTIRE AREA was the opposing color. WTF was that? Is there a weapon perk or something that just projects a bunch of your colored ink around you in a wide area when the game is over?

That was probably a last second Inkstrike. Inkstrikes launched before the timer runs out still count.

If that's what it was, that's some grade A bullshit.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2015, 12:40:30 AM »
You got SPLATOONED, Son!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 04, 2015, 03:41:16 AM »
I was playing some Turf Wars earlier today when I noticed something odd: with 30 seconds left to go, my side was leading probably around 70-30. Then I look down with 10 seconds to go & suddenly it was 70-30 against us. I tried to do some cleanup, but I noticed that after the click hit 0 a big white circle appeared on the gamepad in an area we had all our color. It blinked for about a second and then suddenly that ENTIRE AREA was the opposing color. WTF was that? Is there a weapon perk or something that just projects a bunch of your colored ink around you in a wide area when the game is over?

That was probably a last second Inkstrike. Inkstrikes launched before the timer runs out still count.

If that's what it was, that's some grade A bullshit.

Last-ditch Inkstrikes are the blue shells of Turf Wars. Thankfully, your team does have a hard counter to it: splattering the bad guys to drain their special meter. As the game matures, I imagine that the meta will sometimes favor strategies that involve shutting down a team to their spawn point. That is unless latency makes such a strategy nonviable. I'm starting to notice some kill trading and other latency quirks in shoot outs.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 04, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
In recent games, I've encountered instances where I'll be inking the ground all over the place, yet there'll be a considerable lag between when I spray the ground and when it starts appearing in my color.  What's especially aggravating is the game keeps acting like I'm standing on enemy paint even though I've sprayed it.

Been sticking with the .52 gal since I got it, I haven't gotten useful with the sniper rifle-like weapons, and I feel the default weapon's paint splatter is too slow.  I haven't used the paint roller, anyone care to comment what it's good for besides being able to paint in large lines?  From my experience it makes yourself completely open to getting splattered unless you're playing against people silly enough to be within reach.

Still haven't gotten a great handle of all the special moves, feel like the paint bomb doesn't have enough of a travel distance to be that useful, and i'm not sure of the usefulness of the paint shower.  Don't have experience with much else.

Finally, after playing two levels of the single player, I have to say I can't see what others see in praising it.  I find it incredibly dull, too slow paced, and overall just uninteresting.  I'd just ignore it, but especially since I got the splatoon amiibo figures, I feel a strange obligation to complete all the single player levels.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »
Just beat the final boss of single player.

Absolutely amazing. Mario Galaxy level of genius game design.

It was so good immediately restarted it after beating, and it changed admitting the fact that i've already beaten him.

Shooters by definition don't allow for good game combat and boss design, but EAD did it.

Now Vanquish is not the only greatly designed TPS.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
I also finished the single player today. The final boss battle was absolutely brilliant, though I do think they could have knocked off one cycle and it could have been perfect.

The single player is brief but it does bring lots of things to the table. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I do hope they implement some of these things in the multiplayer.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
Been sticking with the .52 gal since I got it, I haven't gotten useful with the sniper rifle-like weapons, and I feel the default weapon's paint splatter is too slow.  I haven't used the paint roller, anyone care to comment what it's good for besides being able to paint in large lines?  From my experience it makes yourself completely open to getting splattered unless you're playing against people silly enough to be within reach.

The paint roller is able to paint significantly more quickly and efficiently than the shooter or the charger. It's paint flick from tapping the fire button has enough range to be a threat to most shooters in varying situations. Adding "squiding" to the paint roller's massive coverage means that an isolated roller has the best change to retreat, hide, and flank if the roller is in a bad position.

Still haven't gotten a great handle of all the special moves, feel like the paint bomb doesn't have enough of a travel distance to be that useful, and i'm not sure of the usefulness of the paint shower.  Don't have experience with much else.

The paint bombs are more useful as a tool to displace the aware and punish the unaware. You can hold down the R button to see the arc of the bomb. Also, jumping does influence the arc of a bomb. The paint shower is used as a shield or area denial. You can set up a paint shower to block incoming enemy ink or at a chock point to deny enemy access. The paint shower is wide enough and some points on a map are thin enough for the paint shower to block the bad guys.

Finally, after playing two levels of the single player, I have to say I can't see what others see in praising it.  I find it incredibly dull, too slow paced, and overall just uninteresting.  I'd just ignore it, but especially since I got the splatoon amiibo figures, I feel a strange obligation to complete all the single player levels.

The praise for the single-player is coming from the latter of the 5 "worlds" of single player. The first world is the softest ball to ease those with the lowest skill of Splatoon's mechanics. In world 2, you start to see some interesting set ups, puzzles, and situations.

I'm at the start of the 4th world. While the single-player has never been difficult, the puzzles and platforming involving ink have been quite good.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 04, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
One thing i didn't realize about Charger rifles is that they have a rapid fire. It's super weak but it's a good option if you're in a pinch and enemy is right at your face.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 05, 2015, 12:10:18 AM »
Chargers have rapid fire, eh? Nice. One more thing to consider before I pick this game up.

Which will be on Saturday. I have a stressful week, I'm going to need something to unwind.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:26 AM »
Last-ditch Inkstrikes are the blue shells of Turf Wars.
No, it's putting sprinkler on a moving platform on a oil rig ;p

Sprinkler lasts for a while, and in results screen you will be waiting watching how it sprays half of the container area moving back and forth.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:41 AM »
Last-ditch Inkstrikes are the blue shells of Turf Wars.
No, it's putting sprinkler on a moving platform on a oil rig ;p

Sprinkler lasts for a while, and in results screen you will be waiting watching how it sprays half of the container area moving back and forth.
My last multiplayer session, where I tried playing a roller for the first time, had long losing streaks on a rotation of Saltspray Rig and Port Mackerel. It is on the rig where I gained fear, anger, and ultimately respect for the Sprinkler of the .92 Gal. From testing, it seems Sprinklers last indefinitely until you deploy another Sprinkler or some one destroys it. Sprinklers can cover a frightful amount of area in time if placed on a high central platform or on a moving platform. I kind of wish the Sprinkler had a limited lifetime, if only so the Inkling using it has to be more attentive and diligent.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 05, 2015, 05:25:40 AM »
Apparently new weapon, paintbrush comes out this Sunday.

And it has both sprinklers and inkstrike.

Fun times ahead.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »
Apparently new weapon, paintbrush comes out this Sunday.

And it has both sprinklers and inkstrike.

Fun times ahead.

I expect to see that weapon get plenty of use in ranked battles.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 05, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
Played a bit just now. I would have figured the crowd on a weekday morning would be higher leveled than it was. I'm significantly better at the Mall than the Warehouse, and I can't figure out why.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 05, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
The paintbrush is coming out tonight at 7pm PT. There goes my Friday night!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2015, 01:32:02 AM »
Wasn't able to snag the pic at work, but there's a suspicious image floating around featuring a Mario and Fludd Amiibo unlock for Splatoon...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2015, 01:53:51 AM »
Splatterscope is super confusing to work with. That zoom in effect messes with my head.

Eachlocation sounds like a stupid special (simply showing where enemy is), but man it's so devastating. Give it a chance.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2015, 01:56:52 AM »
Soren, you kept disappearing from the matches. Didn't help the game out us on opposite teams most of the time.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2015, 02:15:41 AM »
Yeah, I kept dropping in and out. Your roller was tough at times! Sometimes when I tried to join friends I would get an error message saying the match was full instead of making me wait. It was a bit frustrating and it hadn't happened before tonight.

The dual squelcher is now my favorite weapon.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2015, 05:12:53 AM »
Paintbrush: Yea or nay? I'm pickin up the game tonight, very excited.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2015, 05:33:25 AM »
Paintbrush: Yea or nay? I'm pickin up the game tonight, very excited.

From watching a Twitch stream, at first blush the Ink Brush seems to be extremely lacking in Turf War. While it's "roll" is significantly faster than the Ink Roller, it's bump only does 20 damage (as opposed to the roller's instant splat) and paints a far narrower path. It's roller flick can be as fast as you can hammer on ZR, but it doesn't have the deadly power of a regular roller's flick. Adding to that, it's hard to determine the Ink Brush's flicking sweet spot in order to splat as fast as possible. If you are off the sweet spot, you could be flicking 5-8 times in order to splat a bad guy.

My guess for the Ink Brush's role in Turf War is to be specialized in sneaky and harassing play. The Ink Brush comes with the Sprinkler and the Inkstrike. I can see the Ink Brush being used to charge deep in to the enemy side to set up a Sprinkler, build the special meter for an Inkstrike, and splat bad guys from behind or the flank. The Ink brush seems to be easily chewed up by all other weapons in head-on fights.

EDIT: Maybe the Ink Brush is better used in Splat Zones?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
Maybe the Ink Brush is better used in Splat Zones?
Inkbrush may work as trailblazer in splatzones, if he has run speed up.

It's extremely important to get to the zone at the start, if one inkbrush leaves an ink path as he runs, entire team can follow.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
I am imagining a brush with an entire team in tow, popping up and destroying an area.

Neat image, would never work without an organized team.

EDIT: I was just at the store near my house and I saw a little Japanese girl geekling out because her dad agreed to get her the game. It was pretty adorable.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:24:16 AM by Evan_B »

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »
I am imagining a brush with an entire team in tow, popping up and destroying an area.

Neat image, would never work without an organized team.

Seen two players on a team do something like that this morning. Kinda sucks when you're in the middle of a turf war, your team is down a player, & you're holding the zone with one guy while your 3rd member is respawning then suddenly two ink strikes bombard the zone at the same time.

Also at least one of those two liked to bunny hop around a lot making him not only harder to hit but increases his range a bit.
Mission...complete?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 07, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
I've been playing Splatoon quite a bit, and I'm a bit confused about something- I am continuously paired with people who have many more abilities on their gear than I do. Is this a level unlock? Because though I'm not feeling the effects very much, more abilities are always nice.

Played the open Saltspray/Underpass combo for a while today and I just couldn't find the right combo of weapons for both maps. Was doing Splattertek for a bit with Inkzoola to take the lanes of the rig and just be balanced on the Underpass, but that only worked half the time. Same thing when I went inkbrush- great for Underpass, not so much for Saltspray. I don't want to be a sellout and run Krak-on but when everyone else is doing annoying matchups with it, it's hard not to see the benefits.

Immediately clicked once I started playing Mall/Skate Park though, and got a number of awesome matches. So that feels... Really really good.