Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Xbox loses $380 million for Microsoft

<< < (2/4) > >>

yrrab436:
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has, and Sony has, and Microsoft has.

Mike C:
I don't think they car about lsoing too much money at this stage.  It will make itself up when all these new Xbox owners start buying software and accessories because everyone knows thats where the real money is. MS is just investing for the future

oSiRiS:
Yes, please learn to speak english. Your intent is to specify the company, not the people within it specifically, so refer to the company in the singular. KTHXBYE NOOB LOLOLOL

EggyToast:
I think Microsoft is a little short-sighted if it thinks that installed userbase of their current console will predict installed userbase of any future console.  It's not like Windows, which is simply a software upgrade.  Especially since Bill Gates has said that he hopes the next Xbox includes even more PC-like features, including web browsing (no doubt through their MSN network).

That said, I think Microsoft is toning down the amount of money it throws into the Xbox project lately.  There have been plenty of companies that are available for purchase by console manufacturers that Microsoft would've purchased a year ago, but are sitting on their thumbs about now.  Notably the Vivendi groups.

Anyway, people don't buy new consoles just because they're released -- they buy them because there were a lot of games they liked for previous consoles, and those games are being released on the new consoles too.  Right now, Microsoft is still behind in game development -- good games are coming out, but at a rather slow pace.  Most Xbox people I've spoken to are simply excited over 2 games (Fable and Halo2), both of which lack a definitive release date.  While that's fine for a new console, it's not good for any prediction of future sales.  I mean, compare the install base of the SNES to the N64.  And the Genesis to, well, every sega console afterwards.

BrianSLA:
>>  think Microsoft is a little short-sighted if it thinks that installed userbase of their current console will predict installed userbase of any future console. <<

Well it worked for the PS2 and Nintendo. The Xbox is just the first volley of Microsoft's entry into the digital living room.

>> Especially since Bill Gates has said that he hopes the next Xbox includes even more PC-like features, including web browsing (no doubt through their MSN network).<<

The PS3 is supposedly thinking about having TIVO like capabilities and Sony is also getting into the digital living room too.

>> I think Microsoft is toning down the amount of money it throws into the Xbox project lately.... the Vivendi groups <<

Microsoft is supposedly in the lead to buy out Vivendi. Negotiations are ongoing / or done with a possible E3 announcement.

The Xbox is well ahead of predictions. Microsoft never thought they'd be #1 or that they would make a profit this generation... I really don't think they even thought they would be #2 either... but it happened.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version