Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545165 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5550 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:19 AM »
I'd have to spoil Covenant to explain why they would need to be time travelers...but the short of it is that the Xenomorphs, at least in their perfect form, didn't exist until 100 years after Alien vs Predator.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: May 22, 2017, 03:47:52 AM »
Too late. I Already got spoiled. I was on an Alien wiki page and I read through the article without the assumption it would be be updated immediately. though I have seen Promethius at least 3 times. I noticed the David 8's funny business. I don't want to look further into it until I see the movie. I have a free ticket.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: May 23, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »
GHOST IN THE SHELL

Did they change the plot of the story? I don't remember it being about a conspiracy. I had thought it was an AI finding Major because of their similarities. Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly.

Anyway, I didn't like it. Simply put, it was boring. Clint Mansell, the soundtrack artist, and whoever was the DP are the only reasons to check out this movie. It's gorgeous visually and audibly, but the original has a better story, pacing, action, dialogue, and characters.

There is one addition I did like. It's Major hiring a prostitute. I thought it was a clever way to show her disconnect to humans. If that scene and the OST were transposed into the original film, it'd be the perfect version to watch.

6/10
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: May 24, 2017, 12:37:16 AM »
are you talking about the Live Action movie w/ ScarJo?
as I heard there was another GitS movie released recently, but I think it was CG animated.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: May 24, 2017, 12:40:30 AM »
I'm talking about the live action movie.

I looked up the plot of the original and it couldn't be more different. It's strange. Why would they change the best part about the movie yet include shot for shot remakes of the action scenes? It's a weird decision.

EDIT

If you haven't seen the original, I suggest you see it. It still holds up today and the plot doesn't treat you like a child.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5555 on: May 24, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
I think the film was trying to go for a "greatest hits" from the show (based on reviews I've read), so the story kinda had to suffer to squeeze it all in.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: May 24, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
King Arthur. Guy Ritchie's style is hyperactive and unsettled. Like it's almost going for Edgar Wright but without the precision or the care to follow his style properly. The result is crazy edits (fight scenes jump cuts almost as frequently as beats in the backing track) that makes it hard to follow.

Also its just boring and really "laddish".

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5557 on: May 24, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

Without the burden of having to formulate a the team, the movie decides to spend time with some heavy-handed scenes of characters explaining their backstories/motivations.  While this would drag down lesser movies, the scenes always hit with great timing and don't feel like they're interrupting the action.  The movie flows just too damn well.  All the action, comedy, and fun times are on par with the first one.  It's a text book of how you do a sequel.

8.5/10

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: May 31, 2017, 01:34:19 AM »
I am Not a Serial Killer

This an entertaining little indie film about sociopath high schooler who works in a funeral home. People start getting murdered in his small town and then things take a twist. Christopher Lloyd is in it, definitely worth a watch on the Netflix.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:37 AM »
I am Not a Serial Killer

This an entertaining little indie film about sociopath high schooler who works in a funeral home. People start getting murdered in his small town and then things take a twist. Christopher Lloyd is in it, definitely worth a watch on the Netflix.

Check out The Willies.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: June 01, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »
Wonder Woman.

It was great.

A great ride from start to finish. Gadot just nailed the role. I still think she's too skinny, but that's a tiny and subjective complaint. It also turns out to be the biggest complaint I have with the movie so it was pretty damn good lol. And there is some amazing spectical in it too. Just what I want from my comic book movies.

Though it loses major points for having no invisible jet. -5/10 :(

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: June 01, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
I can't say that they were willing or able to fit the invisible jet in other than a gag considering how DC's universe is built.

But then we got random Kryptonian dragon mounts for "reasons".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: June 01, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
I was joking about the invisible jet lol.  The whole notion is absurd. 

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: June 01, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 3 stars.

Sadly, a bit lesser than the first. Has its moments and I'll probably watch it again a few times more in the future but from my initial viewing it has some stumbles that I think hold it back from achieving the greatness of the first film.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
Wonder Woman - 7/10
It's good...but it's not great. People seem to be making a lot of comparisons to Captain America: The First Avenger - it's not even close. Captain America is a much better movie. Is WW the movie that DC has been *needing* to make? Maybe. It's certainly different than Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, but it's not necessarily any better than them. Wonder Woman is certainly a much more likable character than the DCEU Superman or anyone from Suicide Squad, but the story pretty much makes no sense and the villains are pretty boring. Also the ending is just plain silly. I think this movie was over-hyped and people are saying it's better than it really is - just like people said Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman are worse than they are. But it's good, and worth the money to go see it. It's pretty weird to see an origin story after the character was introduced though...they should have released this before BvS.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:31:43 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: June 16, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
The Mummy - The goofiness of the Brendan Fraser movies is all gone and replaced with grittyness thats largely unearned. I did like how Tom Cruise's character was, like in Edge of Tomorrow, had his own motives but then by the end that was all washed aside.

Iron Man was nearly 10 years ago, and that film told it's own story and dropped very subtle hints to a wider universe. This left several major plot points to be answered later, immediately introduced jekyll and hyde and vampires and then went "who knows if he will end up good?" You start a franchise by immediately throwing long story arcs?

Almost as if to say this entire movie was a 2 hour trailer for the next one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:16:24 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: June 16, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Has no one learned anything from Marvel on these conjoined universes?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: June 24, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
Transformers:
I saw it last night.

Not let me preface this with the fact that I very much enjoy these movies.  I am quite aware they are terrible, but they are just the kind of brainless nonsense and action that I will happily watch any of them at any time. Until this one. :(

Nothing made any sense. No plots were really resolved. And the biggest disappointment.....no epic moments. They were primarily what I enjoy about the previous movies.

- The epic forest fight in 2, ( I don't care what you think about that movie, that scene is just amazing), Prime's resurrection in 2 when he went and wasted the Fallen and other decepticons.
- Prime's entrance with his flight pack in 3 and going to town in that one swoop.
- Prime riding a firebreathing T-Rex into battle with a sword in 4.

All examples of what I'm talking about.

There was none of it. I have no desire to ever watch this one again.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: June 25, 2017, 02:53:52 AM »
Until this one. :(

Nothing made any sense. No plots were really resolved. And the biggest disappointment.....no epic moments. They were primarily what I enjoy about the previous movies.

This had me laughing pretty hard. What took you so long?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: June 25, 2017, 04:10:52 AM »
Until this one. :(

This had me laughing pretty hard. What took you so long?

I left at part 2. Transformers 1 was at least coherent, but the series got super stupid on 2. Objectively 1 isn't that great of a movie either, but it was at least cool to see a live action Transformers movie for the first time. I saw 3 with the promise that the series might get better, and no, it got worse. Now I'm just not going to watch them again.

If for some magical reason I became a studio director I'd really want to reboot GI Joe.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: June 25, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »
I can ignore all the problems with them as long as there is some awesome action happening.  Which has been there in the others except this one. 

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: June 25, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
I just don't understand how you manage to cast Anthony Hopkins and turn him into walking talking exposition device and then cast Stanley Tucci again and not play his role from the last one, then put him in a time period where he's covered in make up and never talks to human characters for all of his scenes.

If you're going to waste talent like that then just don't bother.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5572 on: June 25, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
Wonder Woman

Finally saw this today.  The film definitely falls into the "good-not-great" category.  I had problems with the excess CGI in the end, some of character development, and the lack of invisible jet.  There's some serious plot holes in there too, but it's the best film DC has put out since Nolan was around.  It's different in all the right ways.  There's some time spent with Diana as a child that I didn't care for, but once the plot gets going, it's good.  The humor is mostly fish out of water, but I liked it.  Chris Pine is a good straight man.  Action scenes are fun to watch and a bit more refreshing compared to other superhero movies.

Climax of the film also leaves something to be desired: there's a moment where it looks like Wonder Woman is basically gonna fall to the dark side, but there's nothing in the film to imply this could ever be a risk.  It only comes up in this one scene and she quickly overcomes it.  Also, the reveal of the villain feels so anti-climatic and turns everything about the other bad guys into red herrings, making two characters feel completely wasted for the sake of a twist.

7/10

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: July 04, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
Baby Driver - Edgar Wright's hyperactive sensibilities are so sharp in this as he makes a musical crime heist movie.... all of the musical scenes are incredibly choreographed right down to the actors movements, lines, and camera movements.

It sounds weird to watch a musical, but this is a literal musical. Everything you see is music.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5574 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
The House

A classic Will Farrell comedy that feels more "adult" than his other comedies.  Not in an "Everything Must Go" or "Casa de mi Padre" kind of way.  The plot is something out of a sitcom drawn out for the length for feature film.  They spend exactly enough time in the beginning to establish the premise and settle most of the "why don't they try ___?" questions.  All in all, it's silly, it's fun.  If you're looking for some cheap lolz, you'll find them here.

7/10

Baby Driver

I really liked this one.  The visuals lining up with the soundtrack worked incredibly well.  The cast is also pretty stacked and the film is very well structured.  The action is also intense.  The film is more of a "chase" movie than a heist movie.  Heists happen, but you're following the driver so the part you're focused on is the getaway.  The supporting cast is strong.  I also thought the movie had just the right amount of violence.

8/10