Author Topic: Coverage of E3  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Coverage of E3
« on: February 01, 2003, 08:33:26 PM »
I've never covered E3 by actually going to LA (or Atlanta where it was like 5 years ago).

What's it like to actually be there, though?

Is it a hard event to cover, and do you spend all your time being extremly busy?  I would imagine so.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Coverage of E3
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 08:36:37 PM »
Last year, I got to play so few games, it was almost CRIMINAL.  I was very busy running around getting footage, getting to appointments, herding the cats ...

Still, there's nothing like it.  It's quite a spectacle.  Seeing early versions of games can be a double-edged sword though, especially when you see something that is so early, it really shouldn't have been there.  I'm having a very hard time getting the negative first impression of Wario World out of my head.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Coverage of E3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 08:38:56 PM »
Did you ever go to the Altanta E3?

How did that compare to LA?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Coverage of E3
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 09:30:42 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Last year, I got to play so few games, it was almost CRIMINAL.  I was very busy running around getting footage, getting to appointments, herding the cats ...

Still, there's nothing like it.  It's quite a spectacle.  Seeing early versions of games can be a double-edged sword though, especially when you see something that is so early, it really shouldn't have been there.  I'm having a very hard time getting the negative first impression of Wario World out of my head.

The cats?!??!! WTF? Is that your new nickname for the staff?

As for Wario World, I agree. They said they showed it to get feedback so it would be a really good game but I'm still questioning if that was a good idea. Sure, maybe they got their feedback so the game will be good. But they also showed off a really early game and probably gave lots of people bad first impressions (myself included).

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Coverage of E3
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 05:36:34 PM »
I believe, given my long love for and history with Treasure (from Konami on up, of course) that however flawed the game may end up being, it will have that delicious Treasure-nougat center.  ALL Treasure games, even the bad ones, have this inherent joy in them, even if it's in only a single aspect of the gameplay.  In a worst-case scenario, the game will be an interesting let-down.  I can't imagine this actually happening however, even though I realize I wasn't there to actually see it and play it firsthand.  It's just faith, baby.  Faith.  Treasure won't blow this chance.

Or they will and we'll all live anyway.  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
Coverage of E3
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 06:29:07 AM »
What kind of Special permission do you need to get into E3?

I can't wait. Shigeru Miyamoto has talk about so many new games being shown at E3.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Coverage of E3
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 08:19:17 AM »
You need to be part of the gaming industry or the gaming press to get in.

http://www.e3expo.com has a page where you can check and see what credentials you neeed.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile