NWR Interactive > TalkBack

Pokemon Scarlet And Violet (Switch) Review

<< < (2/2)

Evan_B:
I’m not going to throw around death threats or anything about the score, but a 6.5 seems pretty unreasonably low, based on my experience with the game. And this is coming from a Pokémon h8r.

ClexYoshi:
THREAD NECROMANCY!

I cannot imagine this review to have been very easy at all, because this is the nadir of the Pokemon Company's business model breaking down in real time while at the same time being that watershed moment where I feel like Pokemon has managed to engage me in the same way it did when BW became my favorite generation.

Even still, one patch has come to... fix a Music bug. I don't think Gamefreak has TIME to fix this mess, quite frankly.

Even still, weather it be my break from pokemon since Su/Mo, or how fresh-faced I am to Gamefreak's previous attempts to test the waters on open worlds, I truly love this game. I do not think there is a single new design that doesn't tickle my fancy, and there's so much accessability to things that used to be so opaque in pokemon... Power EV hold items being sold the moment you make it to Mesagoza, mints and bottlecaps for the low price of some Pokeyen, Battle Items and TMs easily available, The Mirror Herb mechanic for learning egg moves, being able to bring your Daycare setup to anywhere you want... It's never been easier to just be able to have and use a competitively viable pokemon, to vary things up if you want to participate in VGC and your comp isn't working... heck, you can even try other people's teams.

Shiny hunts are easier too, although if you really got that itch for trying to beat the odds in collecting rare stuff, Pokemon Size and the returning Marks from Gen 8 still provide something to chase for. Most of my misgivings for this gen are on the backs of the sins of Gen 8 (the lack of availability for pokemon, removed moves leading to a metagame that favors ghost pokemon who no longer are checked by persuit trap, etc.) but just... wow, do I love Terrastalization and how it's a mechanic that ACTUALLY SHAKES THE CORE FOUNDATION OF BATTLING! that being said, I do have to give it up to some really, REALLY questionable balance choices in the name of power creep. Gholdengo's ability to block Rapid Spin, Mortal Spin, AND Defog while also sporting a very busted Steel STAB in the form of Make It Rain makes for a pokemon that is nigh impossible for Stall teams to deal with. Stuff like Cyclizar being way too good at abusing it's extremely strong Shed Tail thanks to high speed and regenerator, and complete nonsense like Rage Fist and Last Respects have tipped Ghost-type pokemon into a centralizing force in the smogon meta, and thus needed to be banned. also, they made a special attacker that smokes blissey in the form of Chi-Yu running Terratype Fire with Fire Blast. I couldn't believe it when I saw the calcs... Thankfully, all that caught a ban from the Smogon OU council since they voted that fun is allowed and that Terastalization shall not be banned.

Pokemon Violet got me to really... enjoy a Pokemon game, and enjoy a Nintendo Switch game again (even though I discovered my right joycon is drifting again. I really cannot stand the switch, it's such trashy hardware.) and... I don't know how I'd score a game I love but can clearly see that it has some very inexcusable issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version