Author Topic: Episode 740: Mario Creator Jim Davis  (Read 970 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 740: Mario Creator Jim Davis
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »

I hate Mondays.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/58506/episode-740-mario-creator-jim-davis

There was a direct, and you probably know that. But, did you know it was mere hours before we recorded this episode? You want our unvarnished reactions to the casting of a Mario movie? What about to a 3D Kirby game? The first new Bayonetta 3 trailer in years? Some weird Square Enix game where cards talk or some nonsense? Yeah it's all here.

Did you want to hear anything else? Too bad.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Episode 740: Mario Creator Jim Davis
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 02:51:53 PM »
Unfortunately, the "list of celebrity names that the mainstream crowd recognizes" has been a business practice to sell animation over the medium for over two decades now, arguably even longer depending on who you ask. It's a shame because I would rather the medium be able to stand on it's own. I think it certainly can. Voice actors certainly don't get the recognition that celebrities do, and in a way that means they are pulling off their job remarkably well. I think of the Castlevania TV show, and am hard pressed to name a cast member. There are of course the very famous voice actors (Jim Cummings, Mel Blanc, Tara Strong, etc.) but the sad reality is what it is. I commented on this on Twitter, by referencing the Disney / Robin Williams issue with Aladdin from way back when. You are all right, the Mario movie cast reveal did unfortunately outshine Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and every other announcement in the Direct. That said, I am trying to remain optimistic.

Here is an interesting idea my friend Drew had for the Mario movie. Perhaps, the filmmakers are going to continue down the path of Mario and co. being "actors", and the adventures they go on in the games are still just productions. This makes swallowing the celebrity voice acting a little easier for me. Foreman Spike could be the antagonist of the film, because he is bitter that his character was written out of the show (having only appeared in two Wrecking Crew games, and a lot of his schtick being given to Waluigi). If you're losing to Waluigi, of course you'd be upset, and maybe want to ruin Mario and co.'s gig. Whenever the productions are happening, Charles Martinet is the voice, doing what we are familiar with, and when the camera is turned off, Chris Pratt takes over. What do you think? Too optimistic of an idea to salvage the dread of this film before seeing any of it?
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com